Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

3 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Cool schools should be open and the kids should be playing their high school sports.  Thanks for confirming.  

Schools are open here. Monday through Friday, my kid goes from 8 till noon 👾  I guess till 2 was just way too much to ask the teachers. But I'll take it!

3 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Cool schools should be open and the kids should be playing their high school sports.  Thanks for confirming.  

I agree and that is what i voted when the school district sent out a questionnaire last week. I am unsure what their plan is, they have not yet told us the results.

I live in an area with a high percent of 3 generational households. So ideally, they will allow those people who want to continue to virtual learn the option, however I would like for my daughter to attend in person.

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Schools are open here. Monday through Friday, my kid goes from 8 till noon 👾  I guess till 2 was just way too much to ask the teachers. But I'll take it!

That is ridiculous, why close the school at noon.

Also, i live in a conservative area and our schools are still closed. I assumed that since our school was virtual only that most were closed. It is surprising to hear that your district is open.

35 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

From your article, the average and median age in africa is extremely young and covid-19 does not effect 20 year old kids.

Spain’s median age is 45; in Kenya and Malawi, it’s 20 and 18, respectively. Young people around the world are far less likely to get severely ill or die from the virus. And the population in Kenya’s cities, where the pandemic first took hold, skews even younger than the country as a whole, says Thumbi Mwangi, an epidemiologist at the University of Nairobi. The number of severe and fatal cases “may go higher when the disease has moved to the rural areas where we have populations with advanced age,” he says.

Also, they do not take Chlorquine or HCQ for malaria in Africa much anymore. If i remember correctly, it is mainly only used in India. I have not looked this up in the last 5 months, so my memory may be fuzzy. Search results for HCQ is difficult for obvious reasons.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820326/

Yes, age is a factor; their speculating on reasons is part of the purpose of the article.  If they have age data though, they should see how different age groups compare relatively to the US.

Didn't know that about HCQ in Africa, interesting and thanks.  :cheers:  Also I guess we wouldn't need to worry as much about depriving Africans of their malaria meds, should we amp up the use of HCQ for Covid.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

to clean? :wacko: 

8 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Also, i live in a conservative area and our schools are still closed. I assumed that since our school was virtual only that most were closed. It is surprising to hear that your district is open.

Can't be overworking those union teachers. Its like a war zone in there. 

16 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

They have to be at the BLM protest at 1 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Weren’t they saying Houston was running out of icu beds and the hospitals were going to be overrun a month or so ago? Did that ever happen? 

I assume this is directed at me,.

I get all of my texas news from the geek club version of two fishing forums, ie the off topic section.  I have not seen any mention of ICU capacity or much concern over coronavirus in the last 2 months. I do remember the same articles that you are mentioning, but nothing recently.

We have been surprisingly compliant on mask usage. I took my kids out to Brazos bend state park this last weekend and we stopped at gas station in a small town along the way. Even the very redneck parts surrounding houston are 100% on mask usage. Maybe this led to the decline?

We have been to the beach(5 times), park, zoo, swimming pools(3 times a week), etc for the last couple months and everything is open and people are active. Anecdotally i think the decline in the houston area is related to masks, because it is nothing to do with being shut down.

I was curious, so i did a little searching. It does look like Houston area has improved over the last 2 months.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/daily-cumulative-covid-19-positive-cases-for-greater-houston-area/

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I assume this is directed at me,.

I get all of my texas news from the geek club version of two fishing forums, ie the off topic section.  I have not seen any mention of ICU capacity or much concern over coronavirus in the last 2 months. I do remember the same articles that you are mentioning, but nothing recently.

We have been surprisingly compliant on mask usage. I took my kids out to Brazos bend state park this last weekend and we stopped at gas station in a small town along the way. Even the very redneck parts surrounding houston are 100% on mask usage. Maybe this led to the decline?

We have been to the beach(5 times), park, zoo, swimming pools(3 times a week), etc for the last couple months and everything is open and people are active. Anecdotally i think the decline in the houston area is related to masks, because it is nothing to do with being shut down.

I was curious, so i did a little searching. It does look like Houston area has improved over the last 2 months.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/daily-cumulative-covid-19-positive-cases-for-greater-houston-area/

Wasn’t directed at you. I just remember when they were saying that the southeast was going to be a hot zone, particularly the Houston area. 

20 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

The high school is virtual, but elementary are open. Where we live, you can send your kid to any school in the county. So a lot of the other cities that have closed schools, tried to send their kids to our schools. My son is going to have 10 kids in his class. 

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

I agree with nobody (the poster); the answer is somewhere between 200K and 6K.  Pneumonia brought on by Covid, yes.  Cancer with a positive Covid test within 60 days of death, probably not.

I reiterate a point I made earlier:  there is no way that the U.S., with the best acute care medical capabilities in the world (abstract away insurance and other systemic crap), and rallying around this thing like we have been, has ~25% of the entire world's Covid deaths.  Either 150 countries are counting it wrong, or we are.  

Agreed.  I think the CDC is trying to walk back their numbers.  This is part of that.

59 minutes ago, edjr said:

My kids have been in school for two weeks already and they've had full days, except for when they got out early due to heat.  They also have fall sports going as usual.

There is one area school that just shut down because of positive cases though.

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My kids have been in school for two weeks already and they've had full days, except for when they got out early due to heat.  They also have fall sports going as usual.

Death count ?

27 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Death count ?

Zero.  No students have tested positive at either of my kid's schools either.  There are a handful that have been home quarantined because of family members that tested positive though.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Out for heat?  And the pussification of our youth continues.

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Out for heat?  And the pussification of our youth continues.

Schools have released early for heat around here for over 30 years so it's not really the pussification of our youth.  A lot of our schools do not have A/C so the first month of school and last month of school there are usually a couple early dismissals.  We had heat indexes around 100 during the first week of school here and now it's 51, typical Iowa weather.

It's funny you say pussification, we say the same thing about southern schools canceling school when there is a dusting of snow.

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Schools have released early for heat around here for over 30 years so it's not really the pussification of our youth.  A lot of our schools do not have A/C so the first month of school and last month of school there are usually a couple early dismissals.  We had heat indexes around 100 during the first week of school here and now it's 51, typical Iowa weather.

It's funny you say pussification, we say the same thing about southern schools canceling school when there is a dusting of snow.

I see less liability with heat than snow.  

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

I see less liability with heat than snow.  

Not sure about that myself but that's how it's been around here for as long as I can remember.  When heat indexes get close to 100 a lot of our schools let out two hours early.  The high school I went to didn't have central air and classrooms didn't have windows.  Pretty sure it still doesn't.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My son’s school starts tomorrow. I am really glad he goes to private with a low class size. SD’s college already had hundreds of cases and went virtual for the year. :doh: 

14 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Not sure about that myself but that's how it's been around here for as long as I can remember.  When heat indexes get close to 100 a lot of our schools let out two hours early.  The high school I went to didn't have central air and classrooms didn't have windows.  Pretty sure it still doesn't.

I get it, I just wasn’t aware air conditioning was a requirement to learn.  We are softening kids - Plain and simple.  

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I get it, I just wasn’t aware air conditioning was a requirement to learn.  We are softening kids - Plain and simple.  

I think we have softened kids but I'm not sure this is one of the reasons for it.  Like I said, this has been going on for a very long time around here.  I'm pretty sure there are plenty of studies that suggest that kids learn better in different settings.  Sweating while sitting in a classroom is probably not high on the list of positive settings for learning.  I doubt teachers do very well in the heat as well.  I'm not sure what the exact reason for it but I do know that they decided to do it around here a long time ago.

I remember accidentally ripping a page in my textbook because it stuck to my forearm.  At least in my office I can turn the A/C down and turn my fan on, no option for that in class.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think we have softened kids but I'm not sure this is one of the reasons for it.  Like I said, this has been going on for a very long time around here.  I'm pretty sure there are plenty of studies that suggest that kids learn better in different settings.  Sweating while sitting in a classroom is probably not high on the list of positive settings for learning.  I doubt teachers do very well in the heat as well.  I'm not sure what the exact reason for it but I do know that they decided to do it around here a long time ago.

I remember accidentally ripping a page in my textbook because it stuck to my forearm.  At least in my office I can turn the A/C down and turn my fan on, no option for that in class.

It’s amazing they built a school that wasn’t conducive to learning.  Before air conditioning.......um....how’d the old timers do it?

I had civics right after lunch when I was a senior.  I didn’t eat lunch, I went straight to the gym and played hoops.  I sweat like a  whor on nickel night in that class.  I made it just fine.

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

It’s amazing they built a school that wasn’t conducive to learning.  Before air conditioning.......um....how’d the old timers do it?

I had civics right after lunch when I was a senior.  I didn’t eat lunch, I went straight to the gym and played hoops.  I sweat like a  whor on nickel night in that class.  I made it just fine.

I think sweating because of physical activity and sweating while just sitting in a room that's 100 degrees is a bit different.

I guess I just don't see it as a big deal or the pussification of our youth.  There are worse things than this when it comes to making kids soft.

3 hours ago, MDC said:

My son’s school starts tomorrow. I am really glad he goes to private with a low class size. SD’s college already had hundreds of cases and went virtual for the year. :doh: 

Hospitalized ? Death count ? Needed a hug and a kleenex count ?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, drobeski said:

You just don't get it. Yes the kids are fine but they could give it to their 87 year old grandma who has stage 4 cancer, leukemia, a blood disorder, diabetes, and aids. It's the covid that will kill her.

37 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Starts tomorrow, Dumbelina. I’ll keep you posted.

11 minutes ago, DexterM1776 said:

You just don't get it. Yes the kids are fine but they could give it to their 87 year old grandma who has stage 4 cancer, leukemia, a blood disorder, diabetes, and aids. It's the covid that will kill her.

That’s why we isolate 87 year old grandma...she wouldn’t make it through pneumonia either

7 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

It will be years before they finally figure out the true case fatality rate and a better estimate of the total deaths caused.

Why does it matter? We just simply quit counting in 2009 swine flu pandemic.  

24 minutes ago, MDC said:

Starts tomorrow, Dumbelina. I’ll keep you posted.

Thoughts and prayers bud, probably going to be a bloodbath.  

1 minute ago, drobeski said:

Thoughts and prayers bud, probably going to be a bloodbath.  

I’ve been giving my son crisis actor lessons. :thumbsup: 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I’ve been giving my son crisis actor lessons. :thumbsup: 

Hang in there pal,  be careful his shoelaces dont resemble a loop too. 

By the way, Fauci came out the other day and admitted that it's incredibly unlikely that you'd catch covid-19 from surface contact.

But you sure as hell didn't see that story gain any traction did you?

The retarded left that is pimping this BS doesn't even bother to run the numbers to make it look legit. They rely on the stupidity of today's population to simply buy into what they say.

Example: They are saying 250,000 cases from Sturgis. That's odd, only 1 death from Sturgis. That's 0.0004%. The really need a shitton more deaths. Either 250k is a total lie or covid-19 is not even remotely a problem any more. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lod001 said:

The retarded left that is pimping this BS doesn't even bother to run the numbers to make it look legit. They rely on the stupidity of today's population to simply buy into what they say.

Example: They are saying 250,000 cases from Sturgis. That's odd, only 1 death from Sturgis. That's 0.0004%. The really need a shitton more deaths. Either 250k is a total lie or covid-19 is not even remotely a problem any more. 

I had a bet with a coworker that the media would take Sturgis and blow it up into this massive, horrible corona spreading disaster.   I am actually surprised it took this long.  

10 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I had a bet with a coworker that the media would take Sturgis and blow it up into this massive, horrible corona spreading disaster.   I am actually surprised it took this long.  

How much did you take from him because these numbers don't help him either way he tries to spin it.

2 minutes ago, lod001 said:

How much did you take from him because these numbers don't help him either way he tries to spin it.

I kept sending links.   Minnesota covid bad (one death!) because of the rally.  Iowa or Nebraska too...but none of them took.  Weren't explosive enough.  Then this gem came out yesterday, as the home run I was expecting.   Took a while though.

How could anyone think that a motorcycle rally, filled with THOUSANDS of Trump supporters wouldn't get blamed for destroying the country by our media?  I mean that's just brain dead.

36 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

And it worked, on idiots. 

This is what happens when you live in a world of pussies and made up illnesses like peanut allergies. 

4 hours ago, lod001 said:

They are using data for that number that has no direct tie to Sturgis, and the press is eating it up and presenting it as factual.  A great example of fake news.