Sign in to follow this  
frank

Your general impression of Steve Martin

I watched the video. He is much more talented than I thought with the banjo. I like that type of music. 

He was funny in All of Me, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and........(wikipedia) Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Father of the Bride and Parenthood.

I remember he sang a song called King Tut on SNL.

I like him. I remember hearing him talking about relationships and thought he understood women well. 

All comedians seem to have a dark side that I really dislike. 

38 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I recently discovered his original stuff from when he was a new comedian

☹️

I dont know how he made it

Well excuse he! :dunno:

He is a generic Spielberg lead type of actor.  The unwashed view it as talented but he's just following the formula.

He had some funny movies...I liked the one where he played a cyrano de bergerac ...fireman.

The religious one still cracked me up....

• Like 1

Very bright. Should continue doing whatever he wants to do. Let's stay the hell off of talk shows and stop promoting yourself.

7 hours ago, riversco said:

He is a generic Spielberg lead type of actor.  The unwashed view it as talented but he's just following the formula.

You are clueless and dumb

20 minutes ago, shotsup said:

You are clueless and dumb

Steve Martin follows the Spielberg rules of charisma

1.  Talks really fast
2.  Easily gets annoyed with everyone and everything around him.

People who have no training nor expertise don't realize that is a formula to trick pleb audiences into thinking he is good.  Spielberg learned that if you have actors perform and follow those 2 rules, general audience seem to believe they are watching a great actor.  Martin is just a comedian that has turned to tricking audiences with no formal training to get by.  Spielberg uses that formula all the time whether its Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters or Tom Hanks in several films or Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds.  They are ALL the same character.  Steve Martin does it too.

I find it more interesting when an actor strays from the formula and makes it big.  You don't see it too much. 

The formula spread beyond Spielberg now.  Gary Oldman talks really fast in everything he is in and acts annoyed with everything and everyone, whether its Gordon or Zorg.  Jack Sparrow talks really fast and gets annoyed a lot.  There's another 2 that are doing it.  They are all the same character.  All of them.

Someone more interesting is like Alec Guinness in Star Wars.  He spoke very slowly but delivered incredible performances.  Keanu Reeves is interesting because he's totally the anti-Spielberg with very slow delivery and he never gets annoyed at anything.

Martin dominated LA in the 70's and became it's darling. He has more writing talent than anything else. His films are marginally funny. Funny enough to watch once. He also apparently has an art collection that might be worth a billion. And of course plays the banjo. Interesting guy.

I think he's meh.  The Jerk was great, but I think moreso for the story and writing than the performance.  I don't know about a "formula" but I agree he plays the same basic character most of the time.  I feel the same about Dan Akroyd and Steve Carrell.  :dunno:

40 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Did u watch foxcatcher

No.  Looks interesting but not funny, I was talking about his comedy.  He was good in Little Miss Sunshine as well but again, not funny.  :dunno:

10 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

He had some funny movies...I liked the one where he played a cyrano de bergerac ...fireman.

The religious one still cracked me up....

Yea Roxanne, Leap of Faith and the Jerk were all really good. 

3 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Yea Roxanne, Leap of Faith and the Jerk were all really good. 

Ill have the kkk omelette....all whites.  Rofl...never today...

• Like 1

I really like him, but for me his movies have been boom or bust.  Enjoyed Roxanne, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Parenthood, The Jerk, and Planes, trains, and automobiles. the rest are meh to bad.

You wanna see acting, watch Alec Guinness portray Obi Wan in this video, spliced in with what we now know about the truth from the prequels.  His every inflection, every glance, every emote, is awfully important and displays the pain of his life.

Love Steve and his movies. His comedy material itself isn’t something to write home about but his acting, charisma and delivery are top knotch. 

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I really like him, but for me his movies have been boom or bust.  Enjoyed Roxanne, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Parenthood, The Jerk, and Planes, trains, and automobiles. the rest are meh to bad.

You are leaving out multiple gems. Leap of faith, three amigos (an all time classic) and my personal favorite, My blue heaven. 

6 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

You are leaving out multiple gems. Leap of faith, three amigos (an all time classic) and my personal favorite, My blue heaven. 

There are bits and pieces i like from them, but do not love those movies.

10 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

LA Story and the Man with two Brains are both good as well.  Three Amigos is an all timer for me.  

Always liked him.  The man ages well too.  He did the oscars last night and looks the same as he has for quite a while.

Must be the white hair.But yeah....Most of his movies are watchable.

Riversco comparing him to Alec Guinness....:blink: