Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Tax Refund yay or nay?

Which camp are you?   Personally we get a refund annually and always have.  Not much, about 3K.  But we like the check. I understand that we are giving the gubbermint our $$ for free, but with interest rates so low, it doesn't add to much anyway

3K over 52 weeks is 57 bucks a week that might not get saved.  
What do you guys do?

Gettin close to $5K back. Usually use the refund every year to take a trip somewhere. Gotta decide where we are going. Gotta go to Nebraska twice this year. Once for thanksgiving and another for my BILs wedding 

I have always treated my taxes like a wife, I cheat.  

Just now, bostonlager said:

I have always treated my taxes like a wife, I cheat.  

Wouldn’t even know how to cheat on taxes 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

Wouldn’t even know how to cheat on taxes 

It's easy. I don't report all of my income. 

I treat my taxes like the Price is Right game show.  I try to get as close to the number without going over.  Killed it this year, getting a $50 refund.

Haven't done mine yet, but expect to get back less than I did last year...  Hopefully still get some back and not have to pay...

We got money back, only because we changed our W9 elections last year and we wanted to make sure we didn't claim too many and owe.

1800 fed, 250 state.  I claim 0.  Not married, I let her claim the boy, she will get back much more

We get $2-3k back and pay about half of that back to locale wage tax.

The 2 grand per kid tax credit is a wonderful thing.   Thank you president Trump.    :wub:

• Thanks 1

Try to break even, my wife is self employed and I am salaried.  It's always a bit of a dance.  Breaking even is best case scenario, usually writing a check for a few thousand.

2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

How the eff do you have all you stuff already?

I am in same boat.  Have most of my stuff, but investment 1099's are still not coming until the 18th.  Right now, I owe $1600 to the state and getting $1400 back from Federal, but I expect to owe both by the time April 15th rolls around.  As long as I avoid the penalties, I am happy.

Usually I give them back $600 when I'm ready to but I'm trying to get it down to where they hand me $5 bucks back. Seems when I use turbo tax, I'm getting socked with a finance charge for paying with the credit card.

I will NEVER allow the govt to hold my $ interest free for 12 months. I'd be pissed if I got back $2000 without my deserved additional 10%+ in interest.

3 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

How the eff do you have all you stuff already?

we dont really need much.. 2 W2's and a 1099 plus our bank documents boom its done... could have been done 2 weeks ago

25 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Usually I give them back $600 when I'm ready to but I'm trying to get it down to where they hand me $5 bucks back. Seems when I use turbo tax, I'm getting socked with a finance charge for paying with the credit card.

I will NEVER allow the govt to hold my $ interest free for 12 months. I'd be pissed if I got back $2000 without my deserved additional 10%+ in interest.

If you only knew what your social security contributions are making.......

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

If you only knew what your social security contributions are making.......

Yeah, I try not to think about that. I'll just be happy to get that $ back even though the fockers tax it as well.

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I usually get around $4,000 to $6,000.

That would fockin piss me off. $6000, yearly over the past 10 years, if you instead, put away $500 a month into the stock market instead, you would (conservatively) have at least $100000 instead of the $60000 you got back.

IRS website says we will have ours back by the 17th. Wife owes NC state $300 since she was workin in SC but living in NC earlier last year 

Owe the feds about $1100, getting about $120 back from state. Pretty much the same as last year. Since Trump's tax cuts, the feds are withholding alot less from my paycheck. I did the new withholding calculator on the IRS website recently, and I'm having an extra 75 bucks each paycheck (twice a month) taken out this year just to break even for next year.

I got back 5k

I understand the argument for both sides 

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I got back 5k

I understand the argument for both sides 

Yup Me too.   

We usually come pretty close to breaking even.  Got a couple of out of the ordinary windfalls last year that make me think I'm going to owe a bit more than I have in the past.  We'll see though.  Sending all of our crap in to our guy today so he can figure it all out.

I claim 0 and get a big return, that along with the bonus in March means I always have some real money to work with this time of year.

I’ll be paying due to capital gains tax in stock sales. I’m assuming it will push me into owing but I don’t have all my docs yet

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I claim 0 and get a big return, that along with the bonus in March means I always have some real money to work with this time of year.

I claim 0 Married and I owed every year until the tax breaks and break even now. HTF are you big money Geeks getting these big returns. 

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

I claim 0 Married and I owed every year until the tax breaks and break even now. HTF are you big money Geeks getting these big returns. 

The only return I might get from Federal is because I made an extra $12k payment in December. I will still probably owe. 

I claim 0 too.

ETA - just got one more tax package. With still more coming in, I now owe $1000 to the Fed and $2800 to the state. I hate tax time.

59 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

I was single with no kids when i started with my current company, that may be part of it. My paycheck take home pay is less than 50% of my gross salary.

I pay a ridiculous amount in taxes on my paychecks, but I get low 5 digit returns. That with my bonus is boat money or almost new car money, etc. We get our big purchase of the year in early spring.

I understand how stupid that is, but it works for us.

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I was single with no kids when i started with my current company, that may be part of it. My paycheck take home pay is less than 50% of my gross salary.

I pay a ridiculous amount in taxes on my paychecks, but I get low 5 digit returns. That with my bonus is boat money or almost new car money, etc. We get our big purchase of the year in early spring.

I understand how stupid that is, but it works for us.

Long as it works brother , just curious. No kids , I take home about 65% so that makes a little sense.