Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Doctors urge you to throw away this one vegetable.

This one vegetable will destroy you from the inside. Anyone ever click on the link? Which vegetable do they talk about?

I always assumed it was Terri Schiavo.  :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

What's the hardest part about eating a vegetable? 

The wheelchair

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SUXBNME said:

What's the hardest part about eating a vegetable? 

The wheelchair

And here I thought it was the protective skull....

There are some vegetables that aren't as good for you as you may think.... potatoes, corn, and eggplant for example.  Potatoes are considered the least healthy, but the bottom line is, as long as potatoes aren't your vegetable of choice every day, you'll be fine.  Simply, the darker (green), the vegetable is, the better it is for you.  Make spinach, kale, cabbage (all forms including brussels sprouts), and broccoli your top options on that front.  Others that are really good for you that aren't green are carrots, garlic, and sweet potatoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There are some vegetables that aren't as good for you as you may think.... potatoes, corn, and eggplant for example.  Potatoes are considered the least healthy, but the bottom line is, as long as potatoes aren't your vegetable of choice every day, you'll be fine.  Simply, the darker (green), the vegetable is, the better it is for you.  Make spinach, kale, cabbage (all forms including brussels sprouts), and broccoli your top options on that front.  Others that are really good for you that aren't green are carrots, garlic, and sweet potatoes.

Spinach is actually dangerous. 

I think I read somwhere this woman made a bunch of spinach smoothies and drank them all in one day and all the oxalic acid actually killed her.   Spinach is best in moderation.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, riversco said:

I think I read somwhere this woman made a bunch of spinach smoothies and drank them all in one day and all the oxalic acid actually killed her.   Spinach is best in moderation.

Spinach is NOT dangerous.  The amount of spinach that someone would have to consume is astonishing.  If she did that, it's all her fault.  No person, in a normal setting will ever consume that much.  Don't be fooled by clickbait.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Spinach is NOT dangerous.  The amount of spinach that someone would have to consume is astonishing.  If she did that, it's all her fault.  No person, in a normal setting will ever consume that much.  Don't be fooled by clickbait.

From what I understand, she made it a smoothie in some way that turned it into a concentrated dose of oxalic acid.

3 minutes ago, riversco said:

From what I understand, she made it a smoothie in some way that turned it into a concentrated dose of oxalic acid.

In order to die from oxalic poisoning, you'd have to consume something like 20 to 25 grams of oxalic acid.  Do you know how much that is "food weight"?  For spinach, she would have had to consume like 6 pounds (plus or minus), of spinach.  Who would ever do that in a normal setting?  Now, she could have added other things in her smoothie to get up to 20+ grams, but spinach wasn't the cause.  It was whatever else she added to it.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-kidney-disease/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354527

The Mayo Clinic recommends NOT eating spinach if you have kidney disease.  I know I read an article recently that said a woman died from a slew of spinach smoothies but I can't find it so I can't confirm if she had kidney issues.  But spinach CAN be dangerous.

2 minutes ago, riversco said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-kidney-disease/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354527

The Mayo Clinic recommends NOT eating spinach if you have kidney disease.  I know I read an article recently that said a woman died from a slew of spinach smoothies but I can't find it so I can't confirm if she had kidney issues.  But spinach CAN be dangerous.

Spinach is also dangerous for people on blood thinners, or who already have issues with clotting.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, riversco said:

Ok, so how is kidney disease "a normal setting", as I mentioned above?   People who have medical issues would know what they can/should eat/not eat.  If they don't, then they're going to have a good malpractice suit on their hands.

39 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Ok, so how is kidney disease "a normal setting", as I mentioned above?   People who have medical issues would know what they can/should eat/not eat.  If they don't, then they're going to have a good malpractice suit on their hands.

Well you said normal setting later, but I was referencing an earlier comment where you stressed spinach was not dangerous.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

At this time of year, I love corn on the cob. I'll have some once every couple weeks. Mmmm. Die if I must.

12 minutes ago, riversco said:

Well you said normal setting later, but I was referencing an earlier comment where you stressed spinach was not dangerous.

Sorry.  I thought that was a given.  When I added "normal setting", I actually was referring to having a normal amount.  No one eats those quantities.  If you have a medical condition, then obviously you have special rules you live by.  When people make generalized statements, like I originally posted, I'm talking about things "in general".  If we all have to preface our comments to include exceptions, every post would be 3 pages long.

11 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

At this time of year, I love corn on the cob. I'll have some once every couple weeks. Mmmm. Die if I must.

You're not going to die, you're just not getting the nutrients that you may have once thought you were getting, so eat up!!

I eats me spinach out of a can befors I sock it to Bluto. 

• Thanks 1

Mmmm. Spinach out of a can with some balsamic vinegar.   Heck even white vinegar. 

Sounds gross but try it once.  You'll never eat it without again

3 hours ago, riversco said:

I knew a guy that was kind of a wuss,  but could then undergo a massive change and beat the sh*t out of anyone within seconds after eating spinach.

10 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I knew a guy that was kind of a wuss,  but could then undergo a massive change and beat the sh*t out of anyone within seconds after eating spinach.

This thread was supposed to be a joke on an ad I assume we have all seen hundreds of times over the last few years.

Also, everyone got it wrong, the answer is brussel sprouts.

19 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

This thread was supposed to be a joke on an ad I assume we have all seen hundreds of times over the last few years.

Why?

38 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

So they want me to buy/grow brussels sprouts and then throw them away?  Would it be okay if I just don't buy them in the first place?  🤔

48 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

The spinach argument is fascinating, though.

37 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Why?

16 minutes ago, Mookz said:

So they want me to buy/grow brussels sprouts and then throw them away?  Would it be okay if I just don't buy them in the first place?  🤔

Once again, I will state that I am just making stuff up. I have never clicked on the link. I do not like brussel sprouts and was trying to make a joke.

I think I lose at the game of internet.

37 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Once again, I will state that I am just making stuff up. I have never clicked on the link. I do not like brussel sprouts and was trying to make a joke.

I think I lose at the game of internet.

Well, you could be correct if you are on blood thinners.  Broccoli, spinach and other veggies with large amounts of vitaminK can eliminate the effect of warfarin types drugs.

Creamed corn.

Details:

So a man and his friend are going on a trip, when their car breaks down in the middle of the desert. But they see a house about a half a mile away. When they get there they knock on the door, and a dirty old lady answers. They both ask her for food and water, she replies "The only way I'd give any of you food is if one of you gets me pregnant". One if them backs out and just waits outside as his friend agrees. He and the old lady walk upstairs to her room. On their way, he finds a piece of corn on the cob and puts it in his pocket. She lays down on her back and closes her eyes. He then has the idea to put the corn he just found into her instead of his . He finishes in 4 minutes then quickly throws it out the window. He goes downstairs and and collects some food, then he brings it to his friend which is waiting outside. But he replies to him "I'm okay, I just had the best creamed corn"

What’s the thing that’s “like a pressure wash for your insides?”

Which I believe is supposed to be a good thing

6 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

This is great news. I am the safest person in the world from brussel sprouts. I think they smell like an damp armpit. 

5 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

This is great news. I am the safest person in the world from brussel sprouts. I think they smell like an damp armpit. 

hmmm, who doesn't appreciated a musty smelling armpit?  

1 hour ago, jonmx said:

hmmm, who doesn't appreciated a musty smelling armpit?  

your mom

We're a asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower family. Have it almost daily. Comes out excellent on the grill.

Actually, you are wrong.  What I read is, the opposite is true.  

9 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Actually, you are wrong.  What I read is, the opposite is true.  

Not sure if you are in the right thread. This could apply to 80% of GC posts.