Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

"Boo Hoo Hoo", Texas Rangers

https://sports.yahoo.com/rangers-unhappy-after-fernando-tatis-jr-swings-on-30-count-and-hits-grand-slam-with-padres-already-up-7-120511772.html

Rangers unhappy after Fernando Tatis Jr. swings on 3-0 count and hits grand slam with Padres already up 7

The Texas Rangers think Fernando Tatis Jr. should have been looking for a walk instead of a grand slam in the eighth inning Monday night.

Tatis Jr. came to the plate in the eighth with his San Diego Padres up 10-3 on the Rangers. After working to a 3-0 count on Juan Nicasio, Tatis swung on the fourth pitch and clobbered the baseball over the right-center wall for a 14-3 Padres lead.

The Rangers were apparently unhappy that they gave up a grand slam. And unhappy that the 21-year-old Tatis had the nerve to swing in that count with his team up seven. It was his 11th homer of the season.

“I think there's a lot of unwritten rules that are constantly being challenged in today's game,” Rangers manager Chris Woodward said at his news conference after the game. “Yeah, I didn't like it, personally. You're up by seven in the eighth inning — it's typically not a good time to swing 3-0. It's kind of the way we were all raised in the game. But, like I said, the norms are being challenged on a daily basis, so just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not right. I don't think we liked it as a group.”

That dislike was clear after Tatis’ home run. Nicasio was replaced by Ian Gibaut and Gibaut immediately threw a pitch behind Manny Machado.

Tatis missed a take sign?

Tatis was apparently told that he shouldn’t swing on that pitch from Nicasio, but the Rangers seem to believe that Tatis didn’t need a take sign to not swing.

“I've been in this game since I was a kid, and I know a lot of unwritten rules,” Tatis said. “But this time, I didn't.”

Padres manager Jayce Tingler after the game said that because the Padres were up seven runs at the time, Tatis did in fact receive a sign to take that pitch.

“Just to make sure we get the signs 3-0 in that game,” Tingler said after the game about what he told Tatis. “Just to make sure and he’s young, a free spirit and focused and all those things and that’s the last thing we’ll ever take away. It’s a learning opportunity and that’s it and he’ll grow from it.”

Tatis said that Tingler told him the take sign was on after he got back to the dugout.

“He told me that I was given the sign to take a pitch and I told him right away that was on me, I didn’t look in,” Tatis said.

The grand slam gave Tatis sole possession of the MLB home run lead after the Angels’ Mike Trout hit his 10th home run earlier in the evening. Tatis, who knocked in seven runs Monday night, also has the MLB lead with 28 RBI. Though the Rangers would certainly argue with three of those. They would have much rather preferred that Tatis had taken a walk to drive a run in.

So, both managers agreed that he shouldn’t have swung at the pitch. He did. The next guy got thrown behind. Kid admitted he missed the sign.

No head hunting, no bench clearing brawl. Seems like it was handled.

Texas has become the capital of sports dooshbaggery in the country, taking the title from Boston. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Texas has become the capital of sports dooshbaggery in the country, taking the title from Boston. 

You better take that back!! :mad:

Doesn't baseball have a process to just walk a guy nowadays?  Didn't they implement that to speed up the game?  If the Rangers wanted to walk him they could have taken advantage of that rule.  If they believed he would just take the pitch because it's an "unwritten" rule then that just gives them a free strike.  Fock 'em.

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Doesn't baseball have a process to just walk a guy nowadays?  Didn't they implement that to speed up the game?  If the Rangers wanted to walk him they could have taken advantage of that rule.  If they believed he would just take the pitch because it's an "unwritten" rule then that just gives them a free strike.  Fock 'em.

Bases were loaded. 

We need more animosity in sports not less. 

Plus what BS that he might have missed a take sign...  Anyone that plays the game knows you don't usually swing 3-0 especially up seven runs late in the game...

I have absolutely no issue if Tatis gets one thrown at him today...  He should and then things continue on as normal... Throwing at Machado was an empty gesture...

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

Bases were loaded. 

We need more animosity in sports not less. 

And?  They seem upset he didn't take a pitch hoping to get walked.  If they wanted to walk him, walk him.  Otherwise, take your medicine.

Seems like taking a walk would be the percentage play to maximize your runs.  

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

I am missing the outrage.  Why is this wrong? Someone enlighten me.

It's an "unwritten" rule!!!! 

1 minute ago, jonmx said:

Seems like taking a walk would be the percentage play to maximize your runs.  

That's kind of the irony here.  They're all p*ssed off that he didn't take the pitch given they were leading 10-3, but if it were 3-3 he probably takes hoping for the walk.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

It's an "unwritten" rule!!!! 

But why? I understand the team giving him the sign to get the walk would be urked he didnt take the sign and not swinging is the better play.  But why is the opposing team upset? Confused.  

3-0 you either hung a curve or piped it. Try not doing that. 

Guys...he should have struck himself out so the other team wouldn't have hurt feelings. 

Here's an idea texas...dont get down by 7 runs in the first place,  get the bases loaded..again...and then be down 3-0 in the count. 

Suck less

I must be missing something.  If the bases are loaded and the count is 3-0, you're supposed to take a strike?  Why?  Get the count to 3-1 and then have to decide whether to swing or take again?

Did the pitcher purposely throw 3 straight balls as well?  Is that an unwritten rule in a blowout game when the bases are loaded?

Imagine Bellicheck was a manager? Half these fags would be in the dugout crying like Tanner. 

Padres bullpen has been horribe

ERA
7.27 Stammen
8.31 Pagan
5.87 Johnson
8.10 Perdomo
11.05 Guerra
7.94 Patino
9.00 Hill
12.46 Yates

rangers came back from down 7 last week

most exciting player in baseball

LET HIM PLAY!

51 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

If he grounded into a double play, sudden the "unwritten rule" disappears,

Not really.  It doesn't disappear, but it's viewed as Karma.  You got what you deserved.  They still might have thrown at him the next inning.

Sort of Ironic the Rangers have the record for most runs in a game when they hung 30 on the Orioles years ago.

• Like 2

Everybody knows you’re supposed to look for a green light in that situation. Tatis is lying   

But people are only crying because he hit the slam.   If he’d have whiffed or hit a dribbler, nobody would be talking about it.  

And throwing at hitters as retribution for failure to follow unwritten rules needs to stop.   Players can get seriously injured with that sh!t 

You want revenge? Strike him out next time 

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So, both managers agreed that he shouldn’t have swung at the pitch. He did. The next guy got thrown behind. Kid admitted he missed the sign.

No head hunting, no bench clearing brawl. Seems like it was handled.

Now that is a temper tantrum by a multi millionaire spoiled POS. Should have tried to get the previous guy out, loser.

17 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Everybody knows you’re supposed to look for a green light in that situation. Tatis is lying   

But people are only crying because he hit the slam.   If he’d have whiffed or hit a dribbler, nobody would be talking about it.  

And throwing at hitters as retribution for failure to follow unwritten rules needs to stop.   Players can get seriously injured with that sh!t 

You want revenge? Strike him out next time 

He threw at his ass. That is how you do it. Just don't throw at his head.

16 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Now that is a temper tantrum by a multi millionaire spoiled POS. Should have tried to get the previous guy out, loser.

Was a different pitcher.

Get the batter out or STFU. 

If the game game is in doubt, he should do what he thinks is best. If the game is not in doubt, the other team is free to leave. 

This is so wrong...

https://www.mlb.com/news/ian-gibaut-chris-woodward-suspended

Texas Rangers pitcher Ian Gibaut has received a three-game suspension for his actions in the top of the eighth inning of Monday night’s game against the San Diego Padres at Globe Life Field in Arlington. Gibaut intentionally threw a pitch at Manny Machado of the Padres immediately following the grand slam by Fernando Tatis Jr. Chris Young, Major League Baseball’s Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, made the announcement.

In addition, Rangers manager Chris Woodward has received a one-game suspension as a result of Gibaut’s actions. Both Gibaut and Woodward received undisclosed fines as part of the discipline.

Gibaut’s suspension had been scheduled to begin today, when the Rangers continue to host the Padres. However, Gibaut has elected to appeal. Thus, the discipline will be held in abeyance until the process is complete. Woodward will serve his suspension today.

33 minutes ago, posty said:

This is so wrong...

https://www.mlb.com/news/ian-gibaut-chris-woodward-suspended

Texas Rangers pitcher Ian Gibaut has received a three-game suspension for his actions in the top of the eighth inning of Monday night’s game against the San Diego Padres at Globe Life Field in Arlington. Gibaut intentionally threw a pitch at Manny Machado of the Padres immediately following the grand slam by Fernando Tatis Jr. Chris Young, Major League Baseball’s Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations, made the announcement.

In addition, Rangers manager Chris Woodward has received a one-game suspension as a result of Gibaut’s actions. Both Gibaut and Woodward received undisclosed fines as part of the discipline.

Gibaut’s suspension had been scheduled to begin today, when the Rangers continue to host the Padres. However, Gibaut has elected to appeal. Thus, the discipline will be held in abeyance until the process is complete. Woodward will serve his suspension today.

have absolutely no issue with today's suspension...Do your time and then things continue on as normal... Throwing at Machado was wrong.

ok now they have a reason to cry

if a 7 run lead is so insurmountable, institute a mercy rule..

20 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

have absolutely no issue with today's suspension...Do your time and then things continue on as normal... Throwing at Machado was wrong.

There wasn't even a warning issued during the game after the umpires talked about it...

No issue throwing at Machado (didn't head hunt like some pitchers do), but I would have waited to throw at Tatis later...

4 hours ago, patweisers44 said:

Sort of Ironic the Rangers have the record for most runs in a game when they hung 30 on the Orioles years ago.

Big difference was that they weren't swinging at 3-0 pitches in a rout...

19 minutes ago, posty said:

Big difference was that they weren't swinging at 3-0 pitches in a rout...

To quote a wise man:

if a 7 run lead is so insurmountable, institute a mercy rule..

I'm a Rangers fan and don't get it. In this day and age of the juiced ball, no lead is safe.

Our crying fans need to STFU already. 

• Like 2

If you don’t want them slapping the sh1t out of the ball don’t throw them a softball. Plus, in baseball you never know if the other team will have a late rally. Every coach I’ve ever played for said if they leave it over the plate like that you smash it. Plus, you wouldn’t want to swing on a 3-0 count when the game is close but when you have a comfortable lead like that and they hang it over the plate the go ahead and swing away 

So confused, why are you supposed to take the walk with the bases loaded? Makes no sense, they should be trying to get him out, not give up another run on a walk. Wtf would he get a take sign? So, they are upset they gave up 4 runs instead of 1?.... I can't believe this is a story..

:dunno:

Don’t go to 3-0. “I can’t pitch, so take it easy on me and let me have this free strike”.  GTFO. 

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

I'm a Rangers fan and don't get it. In this day and age of the juiced ball, no lead is safe.

Our crying fans need to STFU already. 

You need to talk with Posty. 

1 hour ago, Reality said:

So confused, why are you supposed to take the walk with the bases loaded? Makes no sense, they should be trying to get him out, not give up another run on a walk. Wtf would he get a take sign? So, they are upset they gave up 4 runs instead of 1?.... I can't believe this is a story..

:dunno:

Baseball.  Slow, boring, and now incredibly stupid as well.

It's like the in-field-fly rule.  "Wait, there's a fundamental flaw with our boring game!  If there's an in-field-fly ball with a man on base, they'll intentionally drop it and make a double play. God our game is dumb."

"No problem, we'll institute a totally arbitrary rule that they're automatically out, even if they don't catch it."

"But that goes against the basic fundamentals of the game.?.  Ah screw it, anyone who can sit for hours watching this boring game won't care."

Baseball  :wacko: