edjr

Heaven, hell... God, satan. How stupid are people really?

I get back 200 years ago, rubes didn't know any better. How in 2020 can you believe in this fairytale bullchit? You should be much smarter than that.

If you're a good person and you die, you get to go to this imaginary made up place. Please. 

• Sad 1

I'm in the matrix. I figured out the religious angle they were trying to get me to buy into at age 10 or so. It was real weak.

Religion acts as an "emergency backup government" in case the actual government fails to provide services or, in rare cases, actually collapses.  It is the external hard drive to your computer.  This is why religion is very prominent in the poor communities.  Those are places government is most likely failing to help, so religion fills the void.  That makes it impossible to destroy religion as the people on the fringe will look at their destitute situation and not buy anything you are selling with regards to atheism.  The Church is giving them emotional and financial support.  Your atheism gives them nothing.  Its a simple calculation.  The USSR couldn't destroy religion.  China can't either. 

The modern supply chain only was created in the 1970s, which meant major shortages of simple goods became extremely rare.  That went a long way towards the growth of atheism imo.  Reliance on the backup was less needed and in some cases people completely forget how important the backup is.  But a major economic crisis will cause people to "get it" once again. 

The covid pandemic has quite remarkably reversed the downward trend in religion with an overwhelming number of Americans experiencing a deepening of their religious faith and almost no-one losing their faith.

How about reincarnation or the like? I believe we’re all made of carbon and our energy is returned to the universe. Dumb? Ghey?

God doesn't really care what you idiots think.  Don't come crying to me when you're burning in Hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, edjr said:

I get back 200 years ago, rubes didn't know any better. How in 2020 can you believe in this fairytale bullchit? You should be much smarter than that.

If you're a good person and you die, you get to go to this imaginary made up place. Please. 

People believe a piece of cloth keeps them safe and I ain't talking about Mormons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, edjr said:

How do you know?

I'm not saying I know.   I'm not saying I believe in God, or this or that or the other.  I don't even know what I think, to be honest.

But you specifically, or anyone else....how do you know what you don't know? 

Like, take a street sign for example. One that says "STOP". 

How did it get there?  You can't even answer that question. 

Since you don't know the answer to something as simple as that, why would you even begin to think you have a clue about what you don't know?

When I see people talk like that, I think "Narrow minded, can't think outside the box, probably a sheep"  I think the same thing about people that "KNOW" God and heaven are real. 

26 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

How about reincarnation or the like? I believe we’re all made of carbon and our energy is returned to the universe. Dumb? Ghey?

It’s you so both. 

1 minute ago, tubby_mcgee said:

But you specifically, or anyone else....how do you know what you don't know? 

odds are well in my favor

The bible is a comic book for older generations, adults, and the weak minded.

It's just a different version of Batman.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, edjr said:

odds are well in my favor

How do you know? Like, where are you getting this info? From yourself?  I could probably throw a football over them mountains. 

Also, can you explain how a street sign ended up on your road or how a bike ended up in your garage or at the store?

4 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Agreed 100%.

Also, someone acting like they have the answer, shows that they are a sheep, bred to follow,  just like the bible folks follow.  

I would like it if someone who claims "That's the wrong answer" explain to all of us the correct answer.  They never do. They just keep repeating "bahhhhh (like a sheep), that's the wronnnnnng answer".

23 minutes ago, Kopy said:

:first:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kopy said:

When does the reboot version of the Bible come out where they make Jesus a black transgendered "woman"? 

2 minutes ago, DonS said:

When does the reboot version of the Bible come out where they make Jesus a black transgendered "woman"?  they

🙄

3 hours ago, edjr said:

To be fair,  God ain't got nothin' on the Democratic Party.  Those guys believe EVERYTHING they're told by their Liberal Orthodoxy Masters.  No questions asked - ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonS said:

When does the reboot version of the Bible come out where they make Jesus a black transgendered "woman"? 

Chill. We will get there. The thought hasn't crossed their minds yet but it will.

2 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Agreed 100%.

Also, someone acting like they have the answer, shows that they are a sheep, bred to follow,  just like the bible folks follow.  

I would like it if someone who claims "That's the wrong answer" explain to all of us the correct answer.  They never do. They just keep repeating "bahhhhh (like a sheep), that's the wronnnnnng answer".

I'm convinced the Bible is the right answer.

Either you think your morality is as simple as following your gut or you don't.  If you don't, you need some system (called a religion) to get everyone on the same page as to the correct morality.  The Bible tells you: be respectful, be humble, don't gossip, don't kill.  And it is important.

No idea, it baffles me really. Even crazier still is that people who don’t believe in things like that are thought of as strange. 😂 It’s the most insane level of mass indoctrination ever.

Is there a heaven and hell for all living things? I would hate to have to go to spider heaven but snake hell would be even worse. 

3 hours ago, edjr said:

just because you're too blind to see doesn't mean that it's all not very real.

I've had proof of both good and evil all of my life, maybe I'm just a little more observant than others. I won't go into details nowadays, but I hope you eventually see the light. 

Interesting topic, but the OP is awfully sure of himself. I don't know how any of us can claim to have any real answers. We have our beliefs and our faith. It's very personal and for something like religion, I think it's really disrespectful to outright tell someone they're a moron for believing/not believing. I personally think that organized religion is BS. It's not for me. But I'm not SURE that heaven/hell/God/Satan are not real. It's just what I believe. And religion has provided so much hope, support and relief for so many people, who am I to declare it's all garbage? It's real to them.

Now, hating someone because of their religion is a non-starter. GFY if that's how you roll.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, edjr said:

How stupid are people? Look around lately at all these nuts driving around in masks ? Voting for Biden ? 

No different, yet more dangerous than any religious belief. 

5 hours ago, edjr said:

When I was a teenager I played this game - let's debate how ridiculous religion is. Then I grew up and realized all I was really accomplishing was insulting people's personal beliefs and traditions.

Not cool Edjr  :nono:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

When I was a teenager I played this game - let's debate how ridiculous religion is. Then I grew up and realized all I was really accomplishing was insulting people's personal beliefs and traditions.

Not cool Edjr  :nono:

It’s the Geek Club :dunno:

4 hours ago, Kopy said:

Yep. I honestly have a but bit of a hard time respecting extremely religious people, of whatever stripe. It's just so focking dumb. Such an obvious ploy for power and money.

Is there a God? Maybe. Where do we come from? No idea.

But Christianity? Islam? Judaism? Complete bullsh!t, and not even a very good attempt.

Just now, IGotWorms said:

It’s the Geek Club :dunno:

Yeah, ya got a point - it's Thunderdome here...

At least he could've tamed it a bit.  "How stupid are people" could've been written nicer.

Just now, GobbleDog said:

Yeah, ya got a point - it's Thunderdome here...

At least he could've tamed it a bit.  "How stupid are people" could've been written nicer.

I hear you. And I do agree. But...

Honestly, how likely is all that heaven and hell crap? Basically a .00000001% chance of that being anywhere near accurate.

Now the one part that of course we must wonder is how it all began. Science can answer a lot but there seemingly has to be an origin.

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

I hear you. And I do agree. But...

Honestly, how likely is all that heaven and hell crap? Basically a .00000001% chance of that being anywhere near accurate.

Now the one part that of course we must wonder is how it all began. Science can answer a lot but there seemingly has to be an origin.

Even if the Bible is true (it isn't) then that God is a focking incompetent psychopath. Hard pass on the God of Israel thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe in God. Call me all the names you want.

And if there is no higher being, what do morals have to do with anything in life? Actual real racism? Who cares? Murder? Who cares?

Why do you all put up a measuring stick on civility? Fock you then if all you are basing actions on are what you personally want in life.. I'll take what I want at anyone's expense and I'll enjoy it to the death if that is how you feel. 

if we didn't have religion, society would be impossible.  we would tear each other apart.  some nut with a nuke would fire it.

A religious friend once asked "if God didn't make the universe, then where did it come from" and I said "noone knows for sure, possibly other universes colliding or atoms exploding, etc."

He said "well where did those universes or atoms come from", to which I said "I see where you're going with this and the answer is .... THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN SOMETHING."

He replied "That's impossible. There HAS to be a beginning."  So I asked "well, who made God?" To which he replied "Oh, he's always been there." 

:blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

I'm convinced the Bible is the right answer.

And that's fine.  You're convinced. But you didn't say "you know", so I'm not jumping down your throat.

5 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

A religious friend once asked "if God didn't make the universe, then where did it come from" and I said "noone knows for sure, possibly other universes colliding or atoms exploding, etc."

He said "well where did those universes or atoms come from", to which I said "I see where you're going with this and the answer is .... THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN SOMETHING."

He replied "That's impossible. There HAS to be a beginning."  So I asked "well, who made God?" To which he replied "Oh, he's always been there." 

:blink:

That was my point with the stop sign reference.

How did it get there?  Well, duh...a guy put it there.  But...the metal? The materials? The machine to produce the materials, and so on and so on.  Oh, a factory made them? How about the factory? And before that and before that and before that? 

I don't have any answer.

To say God is NOT the answer or The Big Bang is  NOT the answer, etc... enlighten the rest of us as to what the answer is.

You can't. 

Therefore, quit acting like you know.