craftsman

Biden says coal plants 'all across America' will be shut down, replaced with wind and solar

So many things wrong with Biden. Jeez....:doh:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/biden-says-coal-plants-all-across-america-will-shut-down-replaced-with-wind-solar

Biden argued that it's 'cheaper' to generate electricity from wind and solar than it is from coal

President Biden said Friday that coal plants are too expensive to operate, and "we're going to be shutting these plants down all across America" in order to shift to wind power in a comment that drew criticism from the Republican National Committee.

"I was in Massachusetts about a month ago on the site of the largest old coal plant in America," Biden said at an event in Carlsbad, California, on Friday. "Guess what? It cost them too much money. They can't count. No one is building new coal plants because they can’t rely on it. Even if they have all the coal guaranteed for the rest of the existence of the plant.

"So it's going to become a wind generation. And all they're doing is it’s going to save them a hell of a lot of money and using the same transmission line that they transmitted the coal-fired electric on, we're going to be shutting these plants down all across America and having wind and solar power, also providing tax credits to help families buy energy efficient appliances, whether it's your refrigerator or your coffee maker, for solar panels on your home, weatherize your home, things that save an average, experts say, a minimum of $500 a year for the average family."

Biden’s comment prompted a response from a Twitter account run by the Republican National Committee, which said, "Joe Biden celebrates coal plant workers losing their jobs."

Biden added that it is "cheaper to generate electricity from wind and solar than it is from coal and oil."

"Literally cheaper," the president said. "Not a joke."

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Fox Business.

A Department of Energy report published this summer showed massive job losses in the fuel industry following Biden's presidential campaign where he pledged to lead the country away from fossil fuels.

The report found that the fuel technology sector experienced job losses totaling 29,271 jobs in 2021, a 3.1% year-over-year decline, with the majority coming in the fossil fuel industry. Onshore and offshore petroleum companies shed 31,593 jobs, a 6.4% decline; the coal industry lost 7,125 jobs, down 11.8% year-over-year; and fossil fuel extraction jobs declined by 12%.

"The DOE j"Anybody who can go down 300-3,000 feet in a mine sure as hell can learn how to program as well," Biden said in New Hampshire at a campaign event. "But we don’t think of it that way. Anybody who can throw coal into furnace can learn how to program, for God’s sake."bs report is not only reflective of the broader pandemic slowdown, but also highlights an Administration that has worked overtime on restricting American natural gas and oil production," Independent Petroleum Association of America spokesperson Jennifer Marsteller told Fox News Digital in an email.

On the campaign trail in 2020, candidate Biden suggested that coal miners facing an economy where their job is potentially phased out should "learn to program."

European countries are firing up their coal production now after failing to get alternative energy sources to work over the last 15 or so years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

European countries are firing up their coal production now after failing to get alternative energy sources to work over the last 15 or so years.

Yep. Dumbest guy in the world. 

And as a cherry on top, he is planning to destroy people's lives by putting them out of work and telling them "to go learn to program". Does Biden even know what that is?  Yeah "go back to school you guys. It's easy to to be a software developer and get new jobs against 23 year olds who just got out of college learning those skills because that is what they want to do for a living." 

"If they can go 300 feet under ground, they can learn to program." 

This is our president. 

3 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Wrong.  They fired up their coal plants because your boy Putin turned off their gas.

• Thanks 2

I would not read too much into this. This is just him trying to get his base motivated, there is little chance this could happen

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Wrong.  They fired up their coal plants because your boy Putin turned off their gas.

😂 Germany started getting NG from Russia after solar failed to sustain the country

putin!!!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/03/14/germanys-green-energy-disaster-a-cautionary-tale-for-world-leaders/?sh=1697a1fe54e9

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

A few more days fellas until the pendulum starts to swing back towards reality. 

Hopefully, but in real time, Biden is our reality. 

I don’t get the right’s fetish for coal. It’s bad for the environment and dangerous/unhealthy to mine. What are you guys clinging to here? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I don’t get the right’s fetish for coal. It’s bad for the environment and dangerous/unhealthy to mine. What are you guys clinging to here? :dunno:

We don't currently have have a viable replacement. 

• Thanks 1

There's a lot to hate about liberals, but one thing I really hate is it's not enough for them to be on board with something EVERY else has to as well.

Like wasteful wind and solar? Great use it, but no they have to destroy oil in the process. It's such a stupid way to go about it. Develop your tech and if it's better we can use it. 

Right now it's not better. So stop taking away what actually works. Also global warming is a scam.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I don't get the thinking of the left thinking that this country can live on wind and solar. :dunno:

When this fockers everything up one thing you can be certain of is that the liberals will NEVER take responsibility.  It will ALWAYS be someone else's fault.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

There's a lot to hate about liberals, but one thing I really hate is it's not enough for them to be on board with something EVERY else has to as well.

Like wasteful wind and solar? Great use it, but no they have to destroy oil in the process. It's such a stupid way to go about it. Develop your tech and if it's better we can use it. 

Right now it's not better. So stop taking away what actually works. Also global warming is a scam.

Not only is it not better, it's not feasible in the least. 

4 hours ago, RLLD said:

I would not read too much into this. This is just him trying to get his base motivated, there is little chance this could happen

It's not about reading in to it so much as it's one thing for some dopey climate nut job saying it on social media, vs. the president of the US saying it to the world. 

22 minutes ago, Reality said:

We don't currently have have a viable replacement. 

Yeah so it’s something you move away from over time. You don’t just flip a switch and bam, something you’ve been relying on for two hundred years is suddenly obsolete :dunno:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Yeah so it’s something you move away from over time. You don’t just flip a switch and bam, something you’ve been relying on for two hundred years is suddenly obsolete :dunno:

Who knows how long that will take, in the real world, we still need affordable power in the interim.

Everything out of this POS's mouth is either stupid beyond belief or a lie. I'll say it again. Obama & co are running this shitshow. He's pissed that biden got way more 'votes' than he did. He knows the totals are illegitmate and that pisses him off even more. Everyone knows that he thinks biden is a retard so he's spearheading what biden is told to say to make him look like a complete idiot. Mission accomplished. No matter what happens or who is POTUS going forward, it will never affect obama. My guess is he wants biden wiped out in 2024 if the Alzheimer's patient is propped up for another run.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, craftsman said:

It's not about reading in to it so much as it's one thing for some dopey climate nut job saying it on social media, vs. the president of the US saying it to the world. 

I think we have to just accept that Biden says what he is told, and the people behind the curtain told him to say that so he just spits it out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

It's not a fetish for coal, it's the lies related to wind & solar. Xcel Energy is the biggest electricity/energy company in my state. Minnesota Government has imposed strict mandates relating to using more solar & wind going forward. From day 1, we were told this would lower prices, instead, they keep rising.

Xcel has proposed raising rates by 21% over 3 years to replace aging infrastructure.

https://www.axios.com/local/twin-cities/2022/10/20/xcel-energy-4-percent-rate-hike

And what about natural gas ? I once read that the US is to natural gas, what the Middle East is to oil. 

Natural gas emits almost 50% less CO2 than coal.

Unfortunately, that's not good enough for militant environmentalists, because natural gas is considered a fossil fuel.

• Like 1

Earth heats up due to pandemic’s cleaner air, study finds

Earth spiked a bit of a fever in 2020, partly because of cleaner air from the pandemic lockdown, a new study found.

For a short time, temperatures in some places in the eastern United States, Russia and China were as much as half to two-thirds of a degree (.3 to .37 degrees Celsius) warmer. That’s due to less soot and sulfate particles from car exhaust and burning coal, which normally cool the atmosphere temporarily by reflecting the sun’s heat, Tuesday’s study in the journal Geophysical Research Letters reported.

https://myfox8.com/news/earth-heats-up-due-to-pandemics-cleaner-air-study-finds/

7 hours ago, RLLD said:

Even still- it's a dumb thing to say. 

It would be dumber to try and enact. You are never going to be able to completely move away from coal and oil. But you can fold in the solar and wind stuff to give us more options for energy. Just looking to replace is a bad idea. 

3 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

What is wasteful about using solar and wind for electricity?

How is using less oil going to “destroy” it?

8 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

😂 Germany started getting NG from Russia after solar failed to sustain the country

putin!!!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/03/14/germanys-green-energy-disaster-a-cautionary-tale-for-world-leaders/?sh=1697a1fe54e9

Down goes Frazier! Crickets from Gutterboy. 

4 hours ago, Reality said:

Who knows how long that will take, in the real world, we still need affordable power in the interim.

These people live in fantasy worlds.  I’m for every power source we have, all of them.  The “cleaner” the better but you don’t cut one off until you can fully supplement what’s lost and at a close cost to the consumer.  And you never want to be beholden to other countries for it.  

7 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

These people live in fantasy worlds.  I’m for every power source we have, all of them.  The “cleaner” the better but you don’t cut one off until you can fully supplement what’s lost and at a close cost to the consumer.  And you never want to be beholden to other countries for it.  

Common sense, not so common.

4 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Agreed. Unless and until the 'clean coal' research can actually come up with clean coal, the world is better off with the coal left in the ground. The US can return to being energy independent by relying on natural gas via fracking. Natural gas burns cleanly without pollution. It does release CO2, which isn't ideal, but with this lesson on seeing how renewable energy sources aren't up to speed, it remains the best short and intermediate range option available. Nuclear too, although you get the occasional disaster reminders like Chernobyl, Fukushima, and Three Mile Island.

I'd say though that talking about reducing coal when energy prices are through the roof and nobody gives a sh!t is not a smart move by our mentally impaired president.

5 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

No sane person disagrees with this.  Unfortunately, that's not what Biden said.  He said wind and solar are cheaper now and he's going to shut down coal plants across the country. :dunno: 

6 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

everyone wants cheap, renewable energy.  biden and people like you just want to use the issue to divide the nation.  disgusting.

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

everyone wants cheap, renewable energy.  biden and people like you just want to use the issue to divide the nation.  disgusting.

I do?

How?

Why?

:wacko: 

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

No sane person disagrees with this.  Unfortunately, that's not what Biden said.  He said wind and solar are cheaper now and he's going to shut down coal plants across the country. :dunno: 

I’m not an expert on the state of the grid, and what percentage of it uses coal. However, coal is definitely more expensive than wind/solar in the long term. One of the biggest costs of coal is the cleanup after the mining. It’s so expensive that coal companies, which are required to do the cleanup, are selling the mining permits to other companies that will do the cleanup for them. And then those companies are now going bankrupt trying to do so. And then taxpayers pay for the cleanup.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/29/1127520991/west-virginia-coal-mining-alpha

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with the language Biden’s using, because it’s well past time to look at this with a sense of urgency.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The cost is irrelevant when wind and solar don't provide enough energy to allow society to function.  Not enough light.  Not enough warmth or a/c.  How are you going to charge you're electric car?  with solar and wind?  Not happening.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dogcows said:

I’m not an expert on the state of the grid, and what percentage of it uses coal. However, coal is definitely more expensive than wind/solar in the long term. One of the biggest costs of coal is the cleanup after the mining. It’s so expensive that coal companies, which are required to do the cleanup, are selling the mining permits to other companies that will do the cleanup for them. And then those companies are now going bankrupt trying to do so.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/29/1127520991/west-virginia-coal-mining-alpha

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with the language Biden’s using, because it’s well past time to look at this with a sense of urgency.

I don't know enough either; it's certainly possible that solar and wind are cheaper than coal on a per kWhr basis, all things considered.  But until it can stand on its own, it is a complement for coal, not a replacement.  Biden said they are going to shut down the coal and replace it.

we're going to be shutting these plants down all across America and having wind and solar power

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I don't know enough either; it's certainly possible that solar and wind are cheaper than coal on a per kWhr basis, all things considered.  But until it can stand on its own, it is a complement for coal, not a replacement.  Biden said they are going to shut down the coal and replace it.

On no level is it cheaper than coal all things considered. It's not even close to being a compliment to coal. 

People are going to die this winter due to the high cost of energy. Biden did that. 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/09/20/germanys-energy-crisis-plan-contradicts-itself/#:~:text=This is the case across,hallways%2C entrances%2C or foyers.

SEPTEMBER 20, 2022, 3:26 PM

Late-night pedestrians on Berlin’s historic Unter den Linden boulevard can’t help but notice that its iconic monuments and structures—the bronze of Frederick the Great, Humboldt University, the German Historical Museum, and the Brandenburg Gate, among others—are conspicuously dark. As of Sept. 1, all of Berlin’s public monuments, city halls, state administration buildings, libraries, and museums can only be lit between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. every day. This is the case across Germany now, and in many countries elsewhere in Europe, too.

The lights-out policy is only part of a sweeping new energy conservation act: All public buildings must avoid heating rooms beyond 66 degrees Fahrenheit and not heat hallways, entrances, or foyers. Public employees must wash their hands with cold water. “We’re going to have to bundle up,” said Humboldt University’s new president, Julia von Blumenthal.

Germany’s new regimen this month also applies to the private sector: The brightly lit billboards, like those along Berlin’s glitzy Kurfürstendamm shopping mile—known to locals as the Ku’damm—must go dark at 10 p.m. every night, as well as showroom windows. And Berlin’s Social Democratic mayor has gone a step further—provoking gasps and indignant protests from tabloids and Christian Democrats—by canceling the iconic Christmas lighting along the Ku’damm this season.

All of Germany, and most of Europe with it, has shifted into power-saving mode. Skimping on kilowatts is now a fundamental national interest, and further measures go into effect in October. The emergency steps are a reaction to Russia’s suspension of all gas deliveries to Europe in early September, as well as the subsequent sky-high prices of power and gas. Swearing off the Christmas lighting on the Ku’damm alone will save Berlin around $600,000, but that’s just a tiny fraction of 1 percent of the city’s total energy usage.

“We shouldn’t assume that we will be receiving natural gas this winter from Nord Stream 1,” said Robert Habeck of the Green party in his function as Germany’s minister for economic affairs, energy, and climate action, referring to the main pipeline delivering gas from Russia to Europe. “In Germany, there can be cold spells everywhere,” said Klaus Müller, head of the country’s grid agency, last week. “If we get a very cold winter, we have a problem.”

Germany’s self-imposed target is to cut back gas use by 20 percent, which is roughly the shortfall caused by Russia’s discontinuation of gas supplies amid its war in Ukraine. The European Union’s gas emergency plan has also come into force—thus mandating scrimping Europe-wide—though it only calls for shaving 15 percent off gas consumption. Spain, France, and other EU countries have instituted conservation measures much like Germany’s.

While Müller suggests Germany will “have a problem” if this winter is bad one, he must be aware that there already is a problem—a very big one—as whole sale  gas prices have shot up to four times its price last year, with electricity costs rising dramatically, too. Ordinary Germans and businesses alike are in for a nasty shock when their energy bills arrive this year. Some industries have already scaled back production in anticipation of the price increases. Moreover, Habeck has made clear that the stakes are high for all of Europe: Ensuring a constant energy supply and bringing down energy prices is imperative to stave off a recession in Germany, Europe’s biggest economy, he said. It is also key to heading off protests, like those that shook the Czech Republic two weeks ago. And a worst-case scenario—running out of gas completely—would mean freezing-cold homes and schools, wide-ranging industrial stoppages, insolvencies, and even the deaths of vulnerable people.

The levers that the Social Democrat-Free Democratic Party-Green government have at their disposal are limited, untested, and in themselves problematic. In terms of supply, Germany has nearly topped off all available gas storage facilities and negotiated several new suppliers, including liquefied natural gas suppliers. Yet, this still leaves the country way short should temperatures plunge below freezing for weeks on end. The build-out of more renewable energy, primarily solar, is happening at record speed, but it will not be enough to impact this winter. The government is allowing the continued operation of previously mothballed coal-fired power plants (a decision that was highly controversial among the Greens), and two of Germany’s three remaining nuclear power plants will be on standby past their Dec. 31 termination date, should the electricity supply falter and blackouts loom.

This leaves the demand side of the gas-management equation—energy consumption—as the lever most available to policymakers. But officials have been hesitant to use it, reluctant to impinge on the private sphere of ordinary citizens and the way the private sector conducts business.

Nevertheless, Germans are treating the gas shortage as an acute energy crisis. Germany’s gas consumption sank by about 17 percent in May, 8 percent in June, and 15 percent in July, compared with a recent five-year average. Industry cut its gas use by 22 percent in August by switching to other energy carriers and curtailing some production. (Germany generates 12 percent of its electricity in gas-fired power plants.)

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

As far as I can tell, he didn’t put a timetable on how long that process would take. It’s going to happen; question is, how quickly.

I had hoped we would have gotten nuclear fusion working for generation of electricity by now. They’re still working towards it of course, but haven’t figured out how to make it reliable and practical yet…

1 hour ago, dogcows said:

As far as I can tell, he didn’t put a timetable on how long that process would take. It’s going to happen; question is, how quickly.

I had hoped we would have gotten nuclear fusion working for generation of electricity by now. They’re still working towards it of course, but haven’t figured out how to make it reliable and practical yet…

It's not going to happen. Because it doesn't douch of anything at all.