Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

San Francisco Mega Super Storm - doomsday

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/san-francisco-hit-brutal-storm-155156145.html

San Francisco is about to be hit with a ‘brutal’ storm so severe that a meteorologist says is ‘one of the most impactful’ he’s ever seen

Chris Morris

Tue, January 3, 2023 at 7:51 AM PST

As it continues to clean up from a thorough drenching over New Year’s weekend, San Francisco is bracing for an even bigger storm that meteorologists warn could be catastrophic.

The National Weather Service’s Bay Area office issued a frank and dire warning to citizens in a statement, saying the storm, which is currently forecast to begin peaking Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, could bring about flooding and the loss of life.

"To put it simply, this will likely be one of the most impactful systems on a widespread scale that this meteorologist has seen in a long while," the warning read. "The impacts will include widespread flooding, roads washing out, hillside collapsing, trees down (potentially full groves), widespread power outages, immediate disruption to commerce, and the worst of all, likely loss of human life. This is truly a brutal system that we are looking at and needs to be taken seriously."

A flood watch has been issued for the entire Bay Area from 4 a.m. Wednesday through 4 p.m. Thursday, with some areas expected to get up to 10 inches of rain. Wind gusts are expected to hit 50 mph, equivalent to a moderate tropical storm. Those are expected to peak between Wednesday afternoon and midnight.

The storms come after downtown San Francisco saw 5.46 inches of rain on New Year’s Eve, the second-wettest day the city has ever seen.

Despite those rains and the ones expected this week, however, the state will remain in a drought, following three of the driest years on record.

################
article comments
################

1. When droughts end they end with a bang. A wet one. 1976 saw one of the driest years in Cal. history. Until the summer, when a tropical storm passed inland and dumped 14" of rain in the San Jacinto Mountains. That opened the floodgates, and the rest of 1976 and several years afterwards were exceptionally wet.

2. Yup. I remember that. I was a student in Northern CA. They said it would take a decade to fill lake Shasta back up. Boom, it was full in a matter of months.

3. this has been the way of things since i was young... dry, drought, then hit harder than helll with rain... i still remember that summer of 1983 when it rained like crazy.. it came after the drought of 1977-78... then the same thing happened in the early 90s. it continues to do the same thing even today...

38 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Given all the poo on the streets, SF could use a good power washing.

Beat by 38 minutes :wall::lol:

I've gotten several emails about this from work already. We get it, it's going to rain tomorrow. 

• Like 1

they are comparing it to a tropical storm in intensity, but keep in mind that san francisco is not built to handle tropical storms unlike a city around the gulf coast

So the city and state that yell about climate change, that are going to blame this storm on climate change, don’t do anything to prepare for the alleged affects of climate change? Sort of like New Orleans yapping about the levees for years and not doing a damn thing to fix them. 

• Like 1

I don't like SF and ridicule them frequently for their poor political and lifestyle choices, but I wouldn't wish this on them or anyone and hope they come out if this with minimal deaths and damage. Good luck San Francisco.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Give it a few weeks. We'll be back to dire predictions due to the perpetual drought we are always in. If only the powers that be had come up with a plan to capture and store this free water when it falls out the sky. Unfortunately, there's no money in water storage. :(

The bay will be inundated with feces, drug paraphernalia, and tents from homeless encampments all washed to sea.  Then the marine life will die.  A modern day Otis Redding will then have a chance to rewrite Dock of the Bay as he flees from the dock as the tide washes in only stench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

The bay will be inundated with feces, drug paraphernalia, and tents from homeless encampments all washed to sea.  Then the marine life will die.  A modern day Otis Redding will then have a chance to rewrite Dock of the Bay as he flees from the dock as the tide washes in only stench.

Someone is furiously rewriting the lyrics to “It Never Rains in Southern California” to Northern California to incorporate your graphic visuals as I post.  

Shittin' in the morning sun
I'll still be homeless' when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
Man I sure stink like sin
I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide carry my home away, ooh
I'm just shittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
I left my home in Georgia
Headed for the Frisco Bay
Cuz I've had nothing to live for
So I needed some free giveaways
So, I'm just gon' sit on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away, ooh
I'm shittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
Looks like nothing's gonna change
Everything still remains the same
I wont take the job ten people tell me to do
So I guess I'll remain the same, listen
Sittin' here rubbing my bone
Just a few miles from the Pelosi's home
Two thousand miles I roam
Just to make this dock my home, now
I'm just gon' camp at the dock of a bay
Sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

More nihilistic tragedy pr0n from our resident tragedy fetishist. Fapfapfapfapfapfap...

• Haha 1

I had a difficult artistic choice chosing between "Just a few miles from the Pelosi's home"or  "Just waiting for my Obama phone".  This, and of course a total lack of talent and originality, is why I will never be the voice of a generation.  To do this right we really need someone living the life of squalor, indolence, and dependancy.  Someone sucking the government teat and then complaining it is not producing lactose free milk. Only one such as that could truly do the rewrite justice.

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:
Shittin' in the morning sun
I'll still be homeless' when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
Man I sure stink like sin
I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide carry my home away, ooh
I'm just shittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
I left my home in Georgia
Headed for the Frisco Bay
Cuz I've had nothing to live for
So I needed some free giveaways
So, I'm just gon' sit on the dock of the bay
I'm shittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
Looks like nothing's gonna change
Everything still remains the same
I wont take the job ten people tell me to do
So I guess I'll remain the same, listen
Sittin' here resting my bones
Just a few miles from the Pelosi's home
Two thousand miles I roam
Just to make this dock my home, now
I'm just gon' camp at the dock of a bay
Sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

:headbanger:

13 hours ago, Bert said:

Californians crying about the weather.  😱

Their buildings are constructed to handle earthquakes but can't handle 50 mph winds?

Hurricane Rita had 125 mph sustained winds, and Hurricane Harvey dumped 5 feet of rain in the Houstor-Buttmont area.

I guess flooding in low-lying areas will be an issue, as will mudslides. 

1 hour ago, Fnord said:

More nihilistic tragedy pr0n from our resident tragedy fetishist. Fapfapfapfapfapfap...

I'm sure he's furiously whipping off to doppler radar and hopefully will have enough jam to make it until Friday morning.

😂

I am about 40 miles north of SF.  A little wet with a little wind. not terrible yet.

Just now, Bier Meister said:

I am about 40 miles north of SF.  A little wet with a little wind. not terrible yet.

I always thought fire season was in October and hillslide season in February.  Maybe coming a bit early this year.

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

I always thought fire season was in October and hillslide season in February.  Maybe coming a bit early this year.

it gets pretty dry aug-oct.

I grew up in San Francisco.  It used to rain frequently.  There are definitely areas more prone to flooding due to the hills and valleys.  I live in sonoma county and use to work in Napa. in the fall and winter there were many days where they would close a main road (116/12) due to floods.  not a lot of damage, but a major PITA

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

it gets pretty dry aug-oct.

I grew up in San Francisco.  It used to rain frequently.  There are definitely areas more prone to flooding due to the hills and valleys.  I live in sonoma county and use to work in Napa. in the fall and winter there were many days where they would close a main road (116/12) due to floods.  not a lot of damage, but a major PITA

I have not been there in years.  Very beautiful but overpopulated for my tastes even decades ago.  Of course my tastes are those of a country boy.

I'll keep a good thought the rains for you are restorative and not destructive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I have not been there in years.  Very beautiful but overpopulated for my tastes even decades ago.  Of course my tastes are those of a country boy.

I'll keep a good thought the rains for you are restorative and not destructive.

I get it.  It is a wonderful area, but crowded.  in 11 we moved back to SF from Breckenridge, CO.  There were many things i liked about being in the city, but the crowds were not fun (too many oblivious people).  in 13 we moved north. We like the north bay and living in Sonoma was/is beneficial for my industry (food and beverage). It has worked out nicely. daughter graduates in 24.  we'll see where we end up.

Just now, Bier Meister said:

I get it.  It is a wonderful area, but crowded.  in 11 we moved back to SF from Breckenridge, CO.  There were many things i liked about being in the city, but the crowds were not fun (too many oblivious people).  We like the north bay and living in Sonoma was/is beneficial for my industry (food and beverage). It has worked out nicely. daughter graduates in 24.  we'll see where we end up.

You have chosen some beautiful places to live, places I have only visited.  Given your track record for being in some places I fond compelling i am guessing your next residence will be in Jackson Hole or Taos.

Sounds like my youngest is only a year older than your daughter.  I hope they both are given a world in which they can florish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

You have chosen some beautiful places to live, places I have only visited.  Given your track record for being in some places I fond compelling i am guessing your next residence will be in Jackson Hole or Taos.

Sounds like my youngest is only a year older than your daughter.  I hope they both are given a world in which they can florish.

I was pretty happy to hear my wife recently say she would consider cold climate again... possibly back to Colorado or Lake Tahoe.  My choice would be near the alps, but we have 3 living, aging parents and our daughter. I know mrs wants to be somewhat close to wherever she ends up.  Also looking at Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey, Carmel.

Wife took daughter to work about 30 min ago... a few streets are closed due to damage (trees, branches, street light, etc)

Edit: now the positive to this is that we are getting a lot of snow up in the mountains.  We are heading up next week.

3 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Poor Otis. In 2023, he would get assaulted on the dock by a drugged out transgender illegal alien who babbles incoherently to himself. When he recovers his senses and gets up to leave the dock, he'd discover that his car was stolen (again).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Give it a few weeks. We'll be back to dire predictions due to the perpetual drought we are always in. If only the powers that be had come up with a plan to capture and store this free water when it falls out the sky. Unfortunately, there's no money in water storage. :(

They are already saying that despite last week/this week rain fall totals, we are still in a drought. 

36 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I was pretty happy to hear my wife recently say she would consider cold climate again... possibly back to Colorado or Lake Tahoe.  My choice would be near the alps, but we have 3 living, aging parents and our daughter. I know mrs wants to be somewhat close to wherever she ends up.  Also looking at Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey, Carmel.

Complaining about crowds in one post and then in this post listing some of the most touristy places in CA that aren't major cities. 

3 hours ago, Fnord said:

liberal bot activated.  personal attack and guilt trip.  0101010101011111000101010 beep boop.

thats why noone respects you.

2 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I'm sure he's furiously whipping off to doppler radar and hopefully will have enough jam to make it until Friday morning.

😂

liberal bot activated.  personal attack and guilt trip.  0101010101011111000101010 beep boop.