Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Presidential vacations by the numbers:

How many days has President Barack Obama been on vacation since assuming office in January 2009? How much has he golfed? CBS News Correspondent Mark Knoller has the answers.
Since 1996, Knoller has kept tabs on all kinds of presidential data — How many summits? With whom? How many press conferences? — including how often the occupant of the Oval Office at the time leaves the stifling (literally and figuratively) climate of Washington to go on vacation. Successive White Houses have generally found that when their numbers are at odds with the bearded and booming-voiced reporter's figures, the official tallies are the ones that need correcting.
Knoller — who always notes that presidents are never truly on vacation, given the demands of the job and the era of 24/7 communications — graciously shared his latest data with Yahoo News. So here it is:
As of Aug. 13, 2013, Obama is on his 15th vacation trip, covering all or part of 96 days total. He's spending this vacation in Martha's Vineyard with his family.
At the same point in his presidency — Aug. 13, 2005 — George W. Bush had made 51 visits to his ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas, totaling all or part of 335 days.
Bush also traveled seven times to his family’s oceanside compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, covering all or part of 26 days — bringing his total number of vacation days at this point in his presidency to 349 days. (335+26 doesn’t = 349, but remember the “all or part of” caveat.)
What about former President Bill Clinton? At this point in his second term, he had taken 11 vacations covering all or part of 84 days.
“The trips were mostly to Martha’s Vineyard or Jackson Hole, WY. Though he also spent a few days in Hilton Head for New Year’s and then to the Virgin Islands for a few days,” Knoller said in an email.
And former President Ronald Reagan? At this point in his second term he had made 29 trips to his ranch in California, spanning all or part of 180 days.
None of these figures includes visits to Camp David, the presidential retreat outside Washington, which Knoller does not consider vacation.
What about golf? Obama has played two rounds thus far on this vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, bringing his total to 135 rounds as president so far.
He has played 60 rounds at Andrews Air Force Base just outside Washington, D.C. — the home of Air Force One. He has played an additional 31 rounds at Fort Belvoir in nearby Virginia. Obama has played 18 rounds each in Hawaii and Martha’s Vineyard, “and a few others along the way,” according to Knoller.
Bush played 24 rounds of golf as president — but he stopped in the fall of 2003, after deciding it was not appropriate to be seen playing golf while American troops fought in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Clinton: 84

Obama: 96 (2 years remaining)

Reagan:180

Bush: 349

I don't blame Bush for not wanting to be in Washington if he didn't have to be. The ranch was basically working from home.

I don't blame Bush for not wanting to be in Washington if he didn't have to be. The ranch was basically working from home.

Me either... Probably more at ease down there than in DC...

I know that they have a rough job, but it sure must be nice to take that much vacation...

LOL at:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reagan, Clinton, Bush, Obummer

Fantasy Football → FFToday Board → Sproles vs. Bush in PPR

Started by bigblue08, 14 Aug 2013 Sproles, Bush, PPR

So is pretty much anywhere these guys go these days.

NOT OBUMMER :HE EVIL! HE GOLF :mad:

What?

W. Bush did a lot of his work from his ranch, don't see that as a bad thing.

W. Bush did a lot of his work from his ranch, don't see that as a bad thing.

:lol:

I'm all for a good W. Bush bash, but all presidents have a ton of work to do. Some do it well, most don't.

What?

Do you honestly think these guys take a regular vacation and don't work or can't work from wherever they go?

Both Republicans had older kids both Dems younger. I do find it interesting that Obama takes 2 weeks every Christmas and 2 weeks every Summer yet in 6 years that adds up to 96 days. The GAO must be doing the calcs.

how does the white house not have one of those golf simulators in the garage? when a president is not eating lunch or attending defense briefings or watching espn, he could be in the garage honing some skills at the world's best courses.

I never criticized The Bushtard for taking vacations. My attitude was the less time he spent governing the better.

Also ed, there's no need to say (2 years remaining) with Obummer. In each instance he was compared to other presidents, it was mentioned they were being compared to # of vacations to this point in Obummer's presidency.

how does the white house not have one of those golf simulators in the garage? when a president is not eating lunch or attending defense briefings or watching espn, he could be in the garage honing some skills at the world's best courses.

I have never understood why presidents go on vacations. I bet the White House is awesome. World-class chefs, anything you want 24 hours a day, probably plenty to do. It seems like you could just stay there and claim you never took a vacation while in office. Since they are all rich, you could just refuse to take a salary. PR gold.

Fundraising is not a vacation :mad:

http://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/news/a43254/how-trump-spends-his-time/

The Post explains their methodology, which is admittedly imperfect, but certain things are clear. For instance, Trump has spent nearly a quarter of his time in office in Florida, 25 hours of which he's spent golfing. He also spent around 13 hours actively Tweeting, which is over twice as many as he's spent on intelligence briefings.

The biggest chunk is 399 hours of "non-work time" between D.C. and Florida, which could mean anything from sleeping to watching the failing cable news to avoiding Melania. But maybe he's just not sure what to do! After all, he has no political experience, so he might just not know.

Many have pointed out that, for a party that wouldn't stop criticizing President Obama when he took vacations, Republicans seem oddly fine with their president spending a lot of time, and taxpayer money, away from work. Trump also seems to forget that he promised that if he became president, he would "not have time to play golf." Maybe he just hates his job.

http://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/news/a43254/how-trump-spends-his-time/

The Post explains their methodology, which is admittedly imperfect, but certain things are clear. For instance, Trump has spent nearly a quarter of his time in office in Florida, 25 hours of which he's spent golfing. He also spent around 13 hours actively Tweeting, which is over twice as many as he's spent on intelligence briefings.

The biggest chunk is 399 hours of "non-work time" between D.C. and Florida, which could mean anything from sleeping to watching the failing cable news to avoiding Melania. But maybe he's just not sure what to do! After all, he has no political experience, so he might just not know.

Many have pointed out that, for a party that wouldn't stop criticizing President Obama when he took vacations, Republicans seem oddly fine with their president spending a lot of time, and taxpayer money, away from work. Trump also seems to forget that he promised that if he became president, he would "not have time to play golf." Maybe he just hates his job.

Is there anything he didn't lie about? Trump was born a billionaire. His whole life is luxury. Did anyone seriously think he wasn't going to be hanging at his country club and golfing all the time?

another great thread.

Elle has articles? Mobb and Newbie are the only guys who don't get what they need from the pictures. :dunno:

I get it. Because it's a women's magazine, right? That's really good stuff. Gold :thumbsup:

I get it. Because it's a women's magazine, right? That's really good stuff. Gold :thumbsup:

Women and 15 year old boys (for about 90 seconds).

Is there anything he didn't lie about? Trump was born a billionaire. His whole life is luxury. Did anyone seriously think he wasn't going to be hanging at his country club and golfing all the time?

Trump wasn't born a billionaire. Not even close. He might not even be one now.

This is the guy whose MAGA hats are made in Mexico. Only a fvcking retard hasn't seen through the charade by now.

I love how the few remaining retards who still back Trump Seem to justify this. When he went golfing Yet again He's been six times in 30 days After blasting Obama For golfing. But when he he went golfing This last time, He put the media in a basement room with the windows blacked out by no kidding actual black garbage bags and duct tape And made them wait so that nobody would have footage of him golfing. Because he and his team know perfectly well that he was incredibly hypocritical About criticizing the president For golfing and now like I said he's been golfing at least 6 times in 30 days. How many of us can say we've done that? Ever? How many of us have gone golfing 6 times in 6 months?

The what do we keep hearing from his Idiot mouth-breathing trailer dwelling followers? Oh I love him! He's so real and honest! B*******.

As usual, You morons Bring a knife to a gunfight.

I love how the few remaining retards who still back Trump Seem to justify this. When he went golfing Yet again He's been six times in 30 days After blasting Obama For golfing. But when he he went golfing This last time, He put the media in a basement room with the windows blacked out by no kidding actual black garbage bags and duct tape And made them wait so that nobody would have footage of him golfing. Because he and his team know perfectly well that he was incredibly hypocritical About criticizing the president For golfing and now like I said he's been golfing at least 6 times in 30 days. How many of us can say we've done that? Ever? How many of us have gone golfing 6 times in 6 months?

The what do we keep hearing from his Idiot mouth-breathing trailer dwelling followers? Oh I love him! He's so real and honest! B*******.

The idiocy of the Drumpf sheeple is unparalleled.

Trump needs to cut down on the golf. But it is at his resort, so it's a little different. But it's bad optics. Obama didn't have a resort because he never really worked.

Trump wasn't born a billionaire. Not even close. He might not even be one now.

And we'll never know because he's shady and hides things

I agree that Presidents should rarely take vacations and keep their costs to a minimum. You've got the White House & Camp David that is already set up, use them.

We shouldn't complain too much about Trump though, he'll end up saving Billions for the American people sooner than later. :thumbsup:

Fantastic. I mean, Trump already has a 25 billion dollar Credit Because he's going to get the Mexicans to pay for the wall. That'll compensate for one hell of a lot of golf.

It's pretty simple. Trump golfs and meets with world leaders and politicians. Obama golfed with NBA players.

No surprise most of you can't understand the difference.

It's pretty simple. Trump golfs and meets with world leaders and politicians. Obama golfed with NBA players.

No surprise most of you can't understand the difference.

Rory McIlroy hasn't been a world leader since 2015. :thumbsdown:

Trump needs to cut down on the golf. But it is at his resort, so it's a little different. But it's bad optics. Obama didn't have a resort because he never really worked.

Or ran a business. Or understood the myriad of obstacles that stand in the way Of owning something as simple as a lemonade stand. I'm beginning to miss Black Baby Jesus.

Rory McIlroy hasn't been a world leader since 2015. :thumbsdown:

But Ernie Els was in the South African Army or something, so he counts as a world leader though.