Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

Cancel out Theory

What is that?

I do spend a ton of time studying matchups and I try to cancel out my opponent whenever given the opportunity. I will particularly work the wire hard to make sure that I get the right canceling player.

I think that I will win the championship this year as a result. Just need to get over the hump.

You get burned every time...like, 60% of the time.

Jedi Sensei,

Math good at, you are not.

I do spend a ton of time studying matchups and I try to cancel out my opponent whenever given the opportunity. I will particularly work the wire hard to make sure that I get the right canceling player.

I think that I will win the championship this year as a result. Just need to get over the hump.

This guy gets it.

:thumbsup:

There is no question I prefer my opponent NOT to have Fronk if I have Brady. My tds passes don't feel as good when Gronk catches them (knowing my opponent gets two more points).

There is no question I prefer my opponent NOT to have Fronk if I have Brady. My tds passes don't feel as good when Gronk catches them (knowing my opponent gets two more points).

And the Gronk owner feels like he only gets 2 points per td

The cancel out theory is good when you are playing a team that you think is better than yours.

The cancelling player will make it less likely you have a blowout and if you have another player that can turn things around, thats when you use it.

So if your QB is Bortles and I have the option to start Hurns, I do so because Hurns Yards Cancel out some of Bortles big day.

what this inevitably means is that you are tying your fate to the rest of your rosters. and with a smaller sample size, there is the better chance of pulling the upset if one of your other players has a big game.

• Like 1

An example this week would be:

Det v Indy

Team A: QB starting is Stafford

Team B: WR 2 and WR3: Tate, M. Jones

No Matter How well Stafford does, he can't get ahead.

However, if you think Stafford wont have a good game, its bad idea.

Det v Indy

you dont just blindly use the tactic.

you need to be careful about when you use it. and yes, if you think Stafford will have a bad game there is nothing to cancel out. so you just play your highest scoring players.

Cancel Out is such an effective and genius tactic, it's almost unfiar. Leagues should have rules/provisions to balance it out - for example:

If you make a lineup change and it's clearly a cancel-out change, the cancel-out player should only get half points.

• Like 1

Det v Indy

Unless Stafford throws TDs to Boldin, Ebron, Riddick, Abdullah, Wick...

I think it would work better if you had the QB and your opponent was had the 2 WRs. Having the 2 WRs when your opponent has the QB only gives you a chance at canceling out. If you have the QB, theres no other way for the WRs to get points usually.

Bigfoot wins every year with it

Cancel Out is such an effective and genius tactic, it's almost unfiar. Leagues should have rules/provisions to balance it out - for example:

If you make a lineup change and it's clearly a cancel-out change, the cancel-out player should only get half points.

Are there really leagues out there that do not apply the rule the way you are suggesting? How else do you get proper balance?

Det v Indy

What if team B has Emmanuel Sanders on his bench because he wants to cancel out Stafford and Sanders goes on to catch 3 TD passes? Meanwhile Jones and Tate only catch 1 TD between the two of them. Good thing they cancelled out Stafford.

play the player who will score the most points

end of story

This. Just find out what the players' stats are going to be before the game and start the players that score the most.

What if team B has Emmanuel Sanders on his bench because he wants to cancel out Stafford and Sanders goes on to catch 3 TD passes? Meanwhile Jones and Tate only catch 1 TD between the two of them. Good thing they cancelled out Stafford.

What if Team B is 20 points ahead going into the 3:00 games and has the chance to play Tate/Jones against Stafford, or could choose any two other WRs? Those are the last players to play.

There is merit to the strategy - but it's limited.

When you are selecting between players that you are guessing are going to have similar statistics (i.e.: your opponent has Luck, and you have TY Hilton, but playing him means you're sitting someone you guess could put up equivalent numbers, like a Sammy Watkins for instance), it's smart to play Hilton - if you think the rest of the lineup with Luck in it cannot beat your lineup. If you think that their lineup is BETTER than yours, it's best to shoot for players whose performances are NOT tied to your opponent's players.

That is why - unlike what a poster above said, I think this strategy works best when you think you have a BETTER roster than your opponent, but they have one player (QB or WR) that can carry them over you on the given week, at which point it's best to play your 'cancel-out' players (in scenarios like the example I gave above only), to whittle the win/loss result down to fewer players: your better players against their (what you think as) inferior players.

Anytime you can reduce the number of players involved in determining the outcome using the above strategy, you should do it. This is an actuarial thing: you want to control your risk as much as possible.

Note the following: if you have what you think is a WORSE roster against a superior opponent, you do the opposite. You want to avoid being 'canceled out', as canceling out your best players reduces their risk of losing to an inferior lineup.

• Like 1

What if Team B is 20 points ahead going into the 3:00 games and has the chance to play Tate/Jones against Stafford, or could choose any two other WRs? Those are the last players to play.

This question fits exactly into what I'm trying to explain. You play Tate/Jones in that scenario - but only if you have alternative options which are not CLEARLY going to outperform them.

Going into the Monday Night game PIT vs SEA. My opponent is up by 15 and is starting BRothelisberger and I have Antonio Brown. Do I bench Antonio Brown and roll out Tyler Lockett instead?

Only an idiot wouldn't. If you start Antonio you've lost as soon as the game starts. In no game last year did Antonio Brown score more than 6 points more than BRothelisberger. Lockett at least had 1 game where he outscored BRothelisberger's worst game by 15 or more. I at least have a chance if I start Lockett.

I'm usually going to put my best guys in to be honest. You're hoping that if a QB has a good game that it all goes to the one or two guys you start. Scoring system comes into play here. Not a bad strategy in the right scenario, but hardly something you can live by constantly.

Going into the Monday Night game PIT vs SEA. My opponent is up by 15 and is starting BRothelisberger and I have Antonio Brown. Do I bench Antonio Brown and roll out Tyler Lockett instead?

Only an idiot wouldn't. If you start Antonio you've lost as soon as the game starts. In no game last year did Antonio Brown score more than 6 points more than BRothelisberger. Lockett at least had 1 game where he outscored BRothelisberger's worst game by 15 or more. I at least have a chance if I start Lockett.

I'm playing the guy who I think will score more points for me, opponents be damned. In your scenario, you are basically in a no-win situation. However, there are benefits (in most leagues) in scoring as many points as you can even if it means losing the game. Imagine in your scenario that AB outscores Lockett by 10 points, a highly possible scenario. Yes you will lose the game because Ben will at least be within 15 of AB (unless he gets hurt early). But your odds of Lockett being -10 of AB and +15 on Roethlisberger are equally bad. BUT, if your league uses total points as a tie breaker or total points as a side pot, you might be very happy that you have those +10 points.

The super-slim chance of pulling off a miracle is not worth the very likely possibility that you will be sacrificing several, possibly many, points by benching AB is not worth it in my opinion.

most of the time, the cancel out player isnt anyone you can get on the wire. Either hes on your roster (and you use him) or he isnt and you dont.

sometimes you have the option to choose a bum off the wire to play TE or cover a bye or something, but it usually doesnt amount to much.

That being said I'd rather see a person win because of a smart lineup move than dumb luck.

and if you play head to head, sometimes the chess match can be won against a better team. and good for you if you play it that way.

I'm also a firm believer in drafting the swiftest football player in the league.

i use cancel out like showing blitz. I throw out Jordy, Cobb, Freeman, and Sharpe. Then I get my opponent to make a late desperation switch out of Rodgers for like a John Kitna. Then I powerbomb them with a PatteRn and its over

If you ever want to be an above-avg ff gm, you need to

defend against the cancel out theory from your opponent

each week.Especially on the bye weeks.

I use it mostly during the draft

I employ this strategy as well. I haven't taken better than 10th in my 12 team leagues over the last 19 years, but I have a strong feeling this is my year.

I try to trade for the qb of my opponents best receiver every week. Usually get someone to bite about half the time and I win championships like Charlie sheen wins at life

I'm also a firm believer in drafting the swiftest football player in the league.

Seriously???

If you are such a believer, why don't you ever draft the swiftest player in the league in all those leagues I have been in with you over the years?????

:overhead: