supermike80

New official "I contracted Corona Virus Thread"

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Glad he is okay and so is his wife. We need lots of people who have recovered. I hope they have grossly underestimated the number of people who were already infected.

I wish they would start selling antibody tests, I would pay at least a few hundred Dollars. I traveled through a hotspot in late February and had a mild cold with only a dry cough as a symptom. Who knows at this point.

3 minutes ago, nobody said:

Point 1: There seems to be two groups forming.  The first group are people who think we should open up the economy ASAP.  The second group seems to we should hunker down until the virus is gone.

Let me know if this part makes sense.

Point 2: What I'm noticing is that people have anecdotal experiences that seem to confirm their belief.  (I'm basically, saying they might be lying).  I pointed to TimmySmith saying that doctor's said his uncle died of COVID, but he's saying his uncle didn't, and people on social media saying that they personally know several people who died.

Point 3: Instead of just saying these people are lying to support their beliefs, I'm considering the option that instead of putting forth alternative facts to support their beliefs, these people may have formed their beliefs based on their true life experiences

Oh. That is sort of understandable. I disagree as you are very black and white in a situation that is hugely fluid, but whatever you want to think is fine.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

I wish I could test myself after the fact.

January I was sick felt week. Sick again in February, chills, weak and a super bad cough that just went away last week.

My wife who gets the flu shot was also sick in January and February. 

Based on what we learned from santa Clara today and the fact you live in Michigan it is a possibility that you had it in February. 

We need more antibody testing.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I wish they would start selling antibody tests, I would pay at least a few hundred Dollars. I traveled through a hotspot in late February and had a mild cold with only a dry cough as a symptom. Who knows at this point.

Fauci said it was close. He may have been wrong on that too, though. Supposedly, it is act like a home pregnancy test, with a finger instead of pissing on a stick.

Speaking of how many people have had it, an antibody study at Stanford found that the actual cases vs reported cases is off by a factor of 50-80.

So right now we have 700k cases nationwide, really means 35,000,000 to 56,000,000. Also means the morality rate is not 5% but .01%

Either it got here way earlier (Nov-Dec rather than Feb) or the closing down business but leaving Walmart open strategy didn't work.

Bottom line, this will go down as the biggest focking hoax in American history.

So far in 2020, we have had 30k COVID-19 deaths and 400k cancer and heart disease deaths.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Based on what we learned from santa Clara today and the fact you live in Michigan it is a possibility that you had it in February. 

We need more antibody testing.

I traveled Detroit -ATL - Little Rock Feb 10th and returned Feb 27th

Detroit is Deltas Asia hub and ATL is Deltas Main hub.

Wow, good job Geeks. We are collectively doing well. This far in now and it still seems the closest it's hit any of us remains Thornton's daughter with Thornton himself being exposed but not sick. In addition to a couple of "I dunno, I got sick pretty badly, got better, it may have been that" for some of you and some family members. 

A month ago, I may have put the over/under for geeks at 4 as I was pretty sure we'd get hit. Thankfully we've come this far and I was wrong.  Zero geeks plus one close family member is really as good as we could expect. Keep it up fellas. 

@Thornton Melon Am I right in thinking that your lack of updates on your daughter is a good omen?

9 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Wow, good job Geeks. We are collectively doing well. This far in now and it still seems the closest it's hit any of us remains Thornton's daughter with Thornton himself being exposed but not sick. In addition to a couple of "I dunno, I got sick pretty badly, got better, it may have been that" for some of you and some family members. 

A month ago, I may have put the over/under for geeks at 4 as I was pretty sure we'd get hit. Thankfully we've come this far and I was wrong.  Zero geeks plus one close family member is really as good as we could expect. Keep it up fellas. 

@Thornton Melon Am I right in thinking that your lack of updates on your daughter is a good omen?

:thumbsup:  Yes, she's fine now, thanks. She had a fever for a couple of days, then body aches a couple more days, then lost her sense of smell and taste for ~5 days. She's been symptom free since the end of March, and she just went back to work this week.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

:thumbsup:  Yes, she's fine now, thanks. She had a fever for a couple of days, then body aches a couple more days, then lost her sense of smell and taste for ~5 days. She's been symptom free since the end of March, and she just went back to work this week.

Great! 👍

1 hour ago, Thornton Melon said:

That’s awesome to hear!  Let’s hang in there geek club, so far so good.

15 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Im sure some of us had it in Dec/Jan but didnt think much of it.  My wife was sick back in Jan/Feb and had high fever/severe aches/persistent cough/ and couldnt get out of bed for over a week.  Shes never been sick like that.  A few days later, I had milder symptoms but also had pink eye.  WTF?  Ive never had pink eye.  It wasnt until recently that I discovered pink eye is a symptom. 

My daughter strongly suspects that she had it back in December, which would be great since she is the one with diabetes and hopefully she built up an immunity.

Because... I was coughing in the middle of the night.  :unsure:

Lately I been feeling lethargic and slow and I get out of breath and a little sweaty when I exert myself even a little bit like walking up a flight of stairs.

Covid-19? :cry: 

11 minutes ago, t.j. booker said:

Lately I been feeling lethargic and slow and I get out of breath and a little sweaty when I exert myself even a little bit like walking up a flight of stairs.

Obesity

8 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Obesity

😡 

:cry: 

29 minutes ago, t.j. booker said:

Try banging your wife for exercise. I hear it's worked for a lot of Geeks

31 minutes ago, t.j. booker said:

Life

2 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Im sure some of us had it in Dec/Jan but didnt think much of it.  My wife was sick back in Jan/Feb and had high fever/severe aches/persistent cough/ and couldnt get out of bed for over a week.  Shes never been sick like that.  A few days later, I had milder symptoms but also had pink eye.  WTF?  Ive never had pink eye.  It wasnt until recently that I discovered pink eye is a symptom. 

This is conspiracy thought right here. If it was around last year we would have seen a huge spike in hospitalizations and deaths due to respiratory issues. People would have been failing the flu test and that would have thrown up flags. Unless you think this was a massive cover up by the US government, which would make them worse than the Chinese gov

Edit: or you are saying that every single doctor in the US missed the Coronavirus. Seriously, think about how ridiculous this theory is. 

Just now, Herbivore said:

still no Filthy sighting, out since Jan 14th...

Sadly, we cannot differentiate for people who disappear and people who go to the hospital and die out of sight without telling us. In my case, if I'm on death's door, I'll reach for my phone and tell you guys about it or ask my to wife post here with my last breathe, but I cannot expect everyone else to be so diligent.

If all goes well, I'll punch out of here rholio style 40 years from now.

Just now, Voltaire said:

Sadly, we cannot differentiate for people who disappear and people who go to the hospital and die out of sight without telling us. In my case, if I'm on death's door, I'll reach for my phone and tell you guys about it or ask my to wife post here with my last breathe, but I cannot expect everyone else to be so diligent.

If all goes well, I'll punch out of here rholio style 40 years from now.

Yeah, not saying that he got this, just was reminded that he has been MIA.  Disagreed on most things, but he is funny and a good addition here.  

2 hours ago, Herbivore said:

still no Filthy sighting, out since Jan 14th...

Noticed this just yesterday.  

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

This is conspiracy thought right here. If it was around last year we would have seen a huge spike in hospitalizations and deaths due to respiratory issues. People would have been failing the flu test and that would have thrown up flags. Unless you think this was a massive cover up by the US government, which would make them worse than the Chinese gov

Edit: or you are saying that every single doctor in the US missed the Coronavirus. Seriously, think about how ridiculous this theory is. 

I don't see the conspiracy thought here.  The latest I heard was Corona Virus broke out in November in China.  Not a stretch to believe it was here in December.  People had flu-like symptoms without having the flu.  If they had the same symptoms as Corona Virus, I'd say that's a reasonable belief. 

Just as I suspected. this whole thing is a ruse.

4 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

I don't see the conspiracy thought here.  The latest I heard was Corona Virus broke out in November in China.  Not a stretch to believe it was here in December.  People had flu-like symptoms without having the flu.  If they had the same symptoms as Corona Virus, I'd say that's a reasonable belief. 

I think that it's an idiotic belief. So every single doctor in the US missed it, or it was a massive cover up? It's either one or the other. 

7 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I think that it's an idiotic belief. So every single doctor in the US missed it, or it was a massive cover up? It's either one or the other. 

Wouldn’t a lot of doctors just diagnosed it as influenza?

I think we would've heard about a bunch of nursing home deaths and people needing ventilators

30 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

could just not have been on their radar.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

No, it's not one or the other.  It's that for plenty of people infected with Corona Virus, the symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu.  Do we even have a widely-available test for Corona Virus now?  We certainly didn't have it in December, January, February.  We had a notice sent home from our kid's school district in December noting an unusually high number of upper respiratory tract infections, flu and pneumonia.  Were any of those Corona Virus?  Hard to say, because there wasn't a test for Corona Virus and the symptoms present largely the same as the flu.  In December, January, February, a patient presents to the doc with flu-like symptoms, it's assumed they have the flu.

Last anecdotal point.  My nephew was married on January 10th.  He and his wife went to Fiji for their honeymoon.  They came back and the wife got sick with low fever and chills for about a week, my nephew the same starting a week after his wife's symptoms.  They are both dentists.  They both got tested and didn't have some known tropical disease, neither did they have the flu.  Is it reasonable to believe as they do that they were infected with the Corona Virus?  I think so and I don't think it's a conspiracy.

7 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No they wouldn't. An influeza test would show negative if the person had Corona. So people would have respiratory symptoms mixed with flu symptoms, but they would test negative for the flu. So every single doctor that comes across this would just chalk it up to something else and not find an actual cause? 

33 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

So every single doctor that comes across this would just chalk it up to something else and not find an actual cause? 

Dude, youre reading way too much into this.  So are you convinced that there were no cases in the US until the first "official"  case?  And, pray tell, what exactly would a doctor do in January with a person presenting with flu like symptoms and tested neg for influenza? (Flu tests vary wildly in accuracy).   More diagnostic tests?  Hell no.  You go home and treat the symptoms. And, if a doc had a patient that deteriorated, it was probably assumed to be influenza with a false negative and chocked up to comorbidities.  

10 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Dude, youre reading way too much into this.  So are you convinced that there were no cases in the US until the first "official"  case?  And, pray tell, what exactly would a doctor do in January with a person presenting with flu like symptoms and tested neg for influenza? (Flu tests vary wildly in accuracy).   More diagnostic tests?  Hell no.  You go home and treat the symptoms. And, if a doc had a patient that deteriorated, it was probably assumed to be influenza with a false negative and chocked up to comorbidities.  

No I don't think that was the actual first case, but there are no numbers that support this at all. And I was talking people who said the virus was here last year. With the rate of transmission, no way in hell was it here last year. NY would have been inundated with patients months ago. 

30 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Exactly. Happens all the time. Sometimes you can just call in and they’ll tell you to stay home and rest. They say to come in if symptoms get worse. 

So basically our doctor's suck. 

Oh my patients are dying?  I'll just call it flu and go home to watch bachelor.

They are able to track the mutations and are able to tell the patient 0 for different outbreaks in the US. For example they can track the New York outbreak to mutations that previously occurred in Europe, while the western US outbreaks were directly from Wuhan.

The Next Strain site is the main organization that is performing the tracking, however there are various science sites that are analyzing the data. They can track the mutations to know that the first case in the US would have been middle of January.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/03/tracking-covid-19-trevor-bedford.html

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

26 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

They are able to track the mutations and are able to tell the patient 0 for different outbreaks in the US. For example they can track the New York outbreak to mutations that previously occurred in Europe, while the western US outbreaks were directly from Wuhan.

The Next Strain site is the main organization that is performing the tracking, however there are various science sites that are analyzing the data. They can track the mutations to know that the first case in the US would have been middle of January.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/03/tracking-covid-19-trevor-bedford.html

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

Good stuff. Thanks. 

It's not the same as the flu. The signature difference is no runny/stuffy nose.

So if you catch a really bad cold this week and your nose has you going back to your tissue paper box every ten minutes, that's good, be relieved that you don't have it.