Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

Favorite wing sauce

I like tang and plenty of heat on my wings.  Franks and butter is to plain.

Im sure there are thousands of sauces available to buy online.   Lets make a list of good ones

For me, it's  One Legged Chicken from Lanes Barbecue in Georgia.   Saw an add for it and gave them a try.  It's some good shiot.

What you got?

For standard bww type places:

chipolte dry rub

jerk

asian zing

habenero/mango

sauces I make:

thai peanut

hoisin/lime

chipotle/molasses bbq

caribbean

cajun dry rub

I came here to fight.

Dry rubs are far superior to a sauce.  And fock blue cheese.  Ranch is so much better.

18 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Wood!

I’ll try to dig it up, or go from memory.

For several  years now I have been smoking wings vs. deep frying

21 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I came here to fight.

Dry rubs are far superior to a sauce.  And fock blue cheese.  Ranch is so much better.

Blue cheese and wings. FU

Do you put Ranch on pizza like that cat fukcer in CA ??

Gross

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I’ll try to dig it up, or go from memory.

For several  years now I have been smoking wings vs. deep frying

I know it sounds cheesy, but I've been doing most of my rubbed wings in an air fryer for the last few years.  Works pretty well, but mostly because my kids like them that way.

1 minute ago, Fireballer said:

I know it sounds cheesy, but I've been doing most of my rubbed wings in an air fryer for the last few years.  Works pretty well, but mostly because my kids like them that way.

Mrs just asked me about air fryers this morning.  I am willing to give it a try... but love them smoked

Place up the street makes BlackBerry habanero sauce. UNBELIEVABLE!  And it's got to be blue cheese. Keep your ranch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drizzay said:

I came here to fight.

Ranch is for children. Chunky blue cheese dressing is for adults. Yum.

I like both dry rubs and sauce. I think they both have merit. Prefer sauce though.

Ranch though, no bueno. 

6 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

chipolte dry rub

jerk

asian zing

habenero/mango

sauces I make:

thai peanut

hoisin/lime

chipotle/molasses bbq

caribbean

cajun dry rub

Hoisin/lime recipe would be appreciated.  :cheers:

My wife tends to make 3 when we make wings:  Franks/butter is her favorite (medium), I prefer garlic butter with Asiago or Parmesan, and kids like bbq (usually just out of a bottle).

She bakes the wings with no sauce, then put’s each sauce in a Tupperware.  You get to pick however many of whatever flavor you want, stick them in the Tupperware, shake vigorously, and walla.  :cheers: 

I do like dry rubs but we tend to do that with larger chicken legs, not wings.  Not sure why.  We just did some with a Caribbean spice that was good.

Also blue cheese >>>>>>>>>>>> ranch.

• Like 1

Been using the old Anchor Bar recipe for 20 years, Franks Red Hot & butter but a lot of other spices. I use rubs on my chicken breast though. I did make a Saracha & Honey sauce that was pretty good once.

Franks for sure, mix in some butter..... yum

On 1/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, jerryskids said:

Hoisin/lime recipe would be appreciated.  :cheers:

My wife tends to make 3 when we make wings:  Franks/butter is her favorite (medium), I prefer garlic butter with Asiago or Parmesan, and kids like bbq (usually just out of a bottle).

She bakes the wings with no sauce, then put’s each sauce in a Tupperware.  You get to pick however many of whatever flavor you want, stick them in the Tupperware, shake vigorously, and walla.  :cheers: 

I do like dry rubs but we tend to do that with larger chicken legs, not wings.  Not sure why.  We just did some with a Caribbean spice that was good.

Also blue cheese >>>>>>>>>>>> ranch.

Bump for hoisin/lime recipe @Bier Meister.  We are making wings for the game today and I’d like to try it if we have the ingredients.  :cheers: 

On 1/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, BeenHereBefore said:

I did make a Saracha & Honey sauce that was pretty good once.

This used to be my go to. A little heat & a little sweet.  :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Bump for hoisin/lime recipe @Bier Meister.  We are making wings for the game today and I’d like to try it if we have the ingredients.  :cheers: 

1 c hoisin

1/4 - 1/2 c lime juice

2 tbs sambal oelek

2 tbs minced garlic

2 tbs minced ginger

1/2 c red wine (if you want it sweeter, go with a riesling)

1/4 sliced gr. onion

in a pot, quickly sweat the garlic and ginger... add everything else and reduce to a somewhat thick consistency. 

Optional: i have added sesame oil, br sugar, honey for different flavors.  I prefer sambal to sriracha, but you can sub if you cannot find it.

• Thanks 2

On 1/24/2021 at 10:18 AM, Fireballer said:

Franks and Butter

This - don't mess with perfection. 

On 1/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, Bier Meister said:

chipolte dry rub

jerk

asian zing

habenero/mango

sauces I make:

thai peanut

hoisin/lime

chipotle/molasses bbq

caribbean

cajun dry rub

I recently tried the blazin Reaper sauce from Bww. It is very hot with a lot of flavor. I love the sauce and would recommend to anyone looking for serious heat

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, Drizzay said:

I came here to fight.

Gross

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

I have some extra sambal oelek juice if you need to borrow some 

So to everyone saying Franks,I've only had the regular wing sauce,is the hot worth a go?

1 hour ago, nospk said:

Don’t worry... I do not have a lot of time to post newer recipes.  Your franks and butter is in it’s safe space for a while.

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Don’t worry... I do not have a lot of time to post newer recipes.  Your franks and butter is in it’s safe space for a while.

It’s only some chicken wings there Emeril 

17 minutes ago, nospk said:

It’s only some chicken wings there Emeril 

Wasn't the point of the thread (and threads like this) to expand from the basics? Many people want to change things up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

1 c hoisin

1/4 - 1/2 c lime juice

2 tbs sambal oelek

2 tbs minced garlic

2 tbs minced ginger

1/4 sliced gr. onion

in a pot, quickly sweat the garlic and ginger... add everything else and reduce to a somewhat thick consistency. 

Optional: i have added sesame oil, br sugar, honey for different flavors.  I prefer sambal to sriracha, but you can sub if you cannot find it.

Thanks, we ended up doing this and a butter/garlic/Parmesan sauce as options.  For the Asian one, FWIW, we felt it was too Hoisin, so we added some honey, then doubled up the lime.  Very tasty, thanks again.  :cheers: 

11 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

1 c hoisin

1/4 - 1/2 c lime juice

2 tbs sambal oelek

2 tbs minced garlic

2 tbs minced ginger

1/4 sliced gr. onion

Anything with minced garlic, onio, and hoisin sauce tastes pretty good.  I use similar in many recipes, although I have not ever mixed it with lime sauce.

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks, we ended up doing this and a butter/garlic/Parmesan sauce as options.  For the Asian one, FWIW, we felt it was too Hoisin, so we added some honey, then doubled up the lime.  Very tasty, thanks again.  :cheers: 

That is too bad, hoisin is one of the great flavors out there. You should always use more than what the recipe calls for.

I know we go through at least 6-10 large containers of hoisin every year, it is the best.

11 hours ago, nospk said:

It is not an exotic ingredient, although Bier made it sound more exotic than ti really is. It is just an asian chili seeds inside an oil sauce. I use similar sauces when sauteing spinach/bean leaves in olive oil and salt. 

If you do not have an asian chili paste, and you like spicy foods, you should learn to cook with one. The asians such as Sichuan, Thailand, and south Indian Food >>> spicy mexican food.

https://www.amazon.com/Huey-Fong-Sambal-Oelek-Chili/dp/B000JMAVXA

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

That is too bad, hoisin is one of the great flavors out there. You should always use more than what the recipe calls for.

I know we go through at least 6-10 large containers of hoisin every year, it is the best.

Oh, we like Hoisin, my comment was just that the recipe was too strong on it.  We just felt that the honey added a little more sweetness, and the tart of the lime offset it along with the Hoisin.

Regarding spiciness, there seemed to be more in our taste tests than came through with the wings.  I’d probably add a little more of the sambas oelek the next time around.  But sometimes that shows more after sitting overnight, we’ll see how it tastes on leftovers tomorrow.  :cheers: 

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Oh, we like Hoisin, my comment was just that the recipe was too strong on it.  We just felt that the honey added a little more sweetness, and the tart of the lime offset it along with the Hoisin.

Regarding spiciness, there seemed to be more in our taste tests than came through with the wings.  I’d probably add a little more of the sambas oelek the next time around.  But sometimes that shows more after sitting overnight, we’ll see how it tastes on leftovers tomorrow.  :cheers: 

It is only 1 cup, that is barely any at all, most of my american-asian fusion dishes use more than that. I probably would also double the garlic and the spicy chili paste. With any good asian or italian dish you cannot stand withing 5 feet of a loved one due to garlic breath.

Here in China, chicken wings are extremely popular. Damn near every restaurant serves them.

Problem is... No sauce. At all. They are just plain ass baked chicken wings. If you ask for sauce, they bring ketchup (chinese people are under the impression that ketchup is the only western sauce). And even the ketchup is this sickening sweet crap.

I'd kill for some good bufallo sauce over here.