fandandy

I guess the Fetterman Oz debate didn't go so well.

I watched it live and they asked Fetterman why in a interview in 2018 you was against fracking and now for it ? He messed up bad and just kept stuttering and saying I'm for fracking, It was pretty bad on his part.

3 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I watched it live and they asked Fetterman why in a interview in 2018 you was against fracking and now for it ? He messed up bad and just kept stuttering and saying I'm for fracking, It was pretty bad on his part.

Here it is. Tough to watch but I don't feel sorry for him. He should've dropped out, but like all these people he just wants to be a Senator so bad.

• Haha 1

My wife and I watched this last night.  Mr. Fetterman was clearly incapable of meaningful participation in a debate.  Whether his cognition is fine and he is simply challenged to express his thoughts, or whether his cognition is permanently damaged I can not say.  I will simply state that in his current state Mr. Fetterman absolutely should not be entrusted with power.  Voting for him on the hope he improves seems irresponsible since he may not improve. I wish him well in his continued recovery.

I do wonder if Mr. Fetterman will get some sympathy votes, whether Dr. Oz will be seen as having seen a bully for being prepared and wiping the floor with him.  I wonder how Dr. Oz would have been able to perform against a reasonably sharp and articulate opponent.  

Fetterman will have plenty of time to recover after he wins the election. :thumbsup: 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

My wife and I watched this last night.  Mr. Fetterman was clearly incapable of meaningful participation in a debate.  Whether his cognition is fine and he is simply challenged to express his thoughts, or whether his cognition is permanently damaged I can not say.  I will simply state that in his current state Mr. Fetterman absolutely should not be entrusted with power.  Voting for him on the hope he improves seems irresponsible since he may not improve. I wish him well in his continued recovery.

I do wonder if Mr. Fetterman will get some sympathy votes, whether Dr. Oz will be seen as having seen a bully for being prepared and wiping the floor with him.  I wonder how Dr. Oz would have been able to perform against a reasonably sharp and articulate opponent.  

I actually thought for the most part Oz did a good job at not coming off as "bullying" Fetterman. He had digs a few times at things but he leaned on his television personality pretty well.

Oz's worst moments were in some of his answers. He evaded on the minimum wage question saying "I want people to make way more than 15 an hour, but market forces can dictate that." Eh, I mean that is not really how it has ever worked as far as wages going up. It also means power is with the employers as opposed to the shift we have seen with employees having more power.

His abortion answer though was bad in saying "abortion is a decision between people, their doctors, and local political leaders." Look if abortion rights is a big issue for voters that was about as bad an answer you could have.

Oz also stumbled through his comments at times and struggled to end his thoughts in a concise manner.

But obviously the story is going to be about Fetterman and his performance (probably rightfully so in some respects) so some of Oz's stumbles will not get the play they would have had he been against somebody else. 

I do think the pushback so far of "He couldn't speak through an answer so he is unfit for Senate" is a little off though even if I get why people are going after it. Senators aren't out there trying to speak off the cuff for 60 seconds at a shot. They read through bills and vote on them. They listen to arguments but I highly doubt any Senator has truly changed their position based off of some verbal argument made to them. Fetterman's cognitive issues are auditory processing and not reading comprehension. He would be fit to sit in Washington- read through bills and then vote on them. 

If the job relied more on speaking, and verbally debating, and the like then yes I would say it would be very hard to justify voting for him in any way. But seeing as the job is the way it is I don't think it is as much of an issue. But obviously YMMV

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Flop Sweat Fetterman, a stutterin' sputterin' Edmund Kemper clone gripping the podium like a co-ed's throat, has never met a tailor in his life, with an enormous bulbous growth on the back of the neck about to burst open and unleash thousands of poisonous spiders upon humanity. 

Vote Fetterman. :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

I fully appreciate the ability to speak cogently is not necessarily an indication of intelligence, case in point, Stephen Hawkings.  That said, I am unaware of him writing anything particularly cogent either.

As for Dr, Oz, the gentleman does not represent my views.

Fortunate for me these are not my choices.  Of course, I don't have particularly compelling choices in my state either. 

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Here it is. Tough to watch but I don't feel sorry for him. He should've dropped out, but like all these people he just wants to be a Senator so bad.

Wow

His wife is taking a cue from another horrendous shrew, Dr. Jill. How can you let a loved one do this? Shameless. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I fully appreciate the ability to speak cogently is not necessarily an indication of intelligence, case in point, Stephen Hawkings.  That said, I am unaware of him writing anything particularly cogent either.

As for Dr, Oz, the gentleman does not represent my views.

Fortunate for me these are not my choices.  Of course, I don't have particularly compelling choices in my state either. 

Are you a centrist? 

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

I am a man without a political party.  If there is a tribe out there for me I have yet to find it.

Ok. I think lots of people are feeling that way recently. I just think liberals are backwards and dangerous. That’s where I’m at right now. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok. I think lots of people are feeling that way recently. I just think liberals are backwards and dangerous. That’s where I’m at right now. 

For a party which has so many with liberal arts degrees they do seem to lack an appreciation of human motivations, they seek to award or support indolence  They also seem to be mathmatically challenged.  

Conservatives, at least those who are now labeled conservatives, seem to lack an appreciation of human reactions.  If you do not engage half the population you will always have a contentious and unstable society.

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Ouch

8 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

For a party which has so many with liberal arts degrees they do seem to lack an appreciation of human motivations, they seek to award or support indolence  They also seem to be mathmatically challenged.  

Conservatives, at least those who are now labeled conservatives, seem to lack an appreciation of human reactions.  If you do not engage half the population you will always have a contentious and unstable society.

That is pretty accurate and well said. 

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

Oz's worst moments were in some of his answers. He evaded on the minimum wage question saying "I want people to make way more than 15 an hour, but market forces can dictate that." Eh, I mean that is not really how it has ever worked as far as wages going up. It also means power is with the employers as opposed to the shift we have seen with employees having more power.

Every fast food restaurant in my area is paying more than $15/hour, some significantly more.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Every fast food restaurant in my area is paying more than $15/hour, some significantly more.  :dunno:

I would say that is the exception because there are not a lot of places around me in PA paying 15 an hour for fast food. Even the some that are it is more because power shifted towards employees in the pandemic so places had to raise wages.

But even still- Oz's response was more about "Market forces can dictate that and we have a lot of natural gas and energy underground we can use for that." PA is already #2 in natural gas production in the country- behind Texas- and those two factors don't necessarily create a cause and effect type movement. At least not traditionally. 

38 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I am unclear (but interested) in what you mean by "lack an appreciation of human reactions"?    I consider myself to be a conservative, so your statement is interesting to me and I'd like to hear an elaboration on that.    Not a "gotcha" question - just asking.  

Great, he and Biden can share  a drool cup I guess.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Masshole said:

I am unclear (but interested) in what you mean by "lack an appreciation of human reactions"?    I consider myself to be a conservative, so your statement is interesting to me and I'd like to hear an elaboration on that.    Not a "gotcha" question - just asking.  

Very well.  Lately many, though certainly not all who now wear the moniker of being a conservative spend a great deal of effort denigrating liberal/progressives.  They do not deconstruct the policies or positions of the liberal/progressive, but they denigrate the holder of the positions, beliefs, or philosophies, however you describe their positions.  Now for me I have never known anyone who is personally attacked for adhering to their beliefs to change those beliefs.  Rather, having been attacked, or percieving they have been attacked, they become more retrenched in their positions,,and they become much less likely to compromise or tolerate opposing positions.  In short we are forcing and reinforcing polarization.  Now if one accepts the premise that a population more or less evenly divided in number cannot florish when they simply cannot tolerate the other half or work cooperatively with the other half it seems evident to me it is not rational to continue down the path our society seems so set upon.  It seems evident to me that those who denigrate others do not appreciate human reactions.  They are not in any meaningful way changing behavior or advancing their own agenda.  Rather they are heading further down a dead end path though they do get the motivation and reinforcement of feeling superior for having denigrated the out class. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Engorgeous George said:

Very well.  Lately many, though certainly not all who now wear the moniker of being a conservative spend a great deal of effort denigrating liberal/progressives.  They do not deconstruct the policies or positions of the liberal/progressive, but they denigrate the holder of the positions, beliefs, or philosophies, however you describe their positions.  Now for me I have never known anyone who is personally attacked for adhering to their beliefs to change those beliefs.  Rather, having been attacked, or percieving they have been attacked, they become more retrenched in their positions,,and they become much less likely to compromise or tolerate opposing positions.  In short we are forcing and reinforcing polarization.  Now if one accepts the premise that a population more or less evenly divided in number cannot florish when they simply cannot tolerate the other half or work cooperatively with the other half it seems evident to me it is not rational to continue down the path our society seems so set upon.  It seems evident to me that those who denigrate others do not appreciate human reactions.  They are not in any meaningful way changing behavior or advancing their own agenda.  Rather they are heading further down a dead end path though they do get the motivation and reinforcement of feeling superior for having denigrated the out class. 

An open border policy needs to be deconstructed? An open border policy in the midst of a pandemic needs to be delved into? You’re acting like there is complexity to some of these issues. Sorry, this isn’t trickle down economics being debated, or the Capitol gains rate. This is  a government that doesn’t perform its basic duties.  It would be great to go back to that, but we’re not there anymore. And it’s not just immigration. Crime, inflation, garbage in schools. All of that has been caused by policies introduced, they aren’t organic. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

An open border policy needs to be deconstructed? An open border policy in the midst of a pandemic needs to be delved into? You’re acting like there is complexity to some of these issues. Sorry, this isn’t trickle down economics being debated, or the Capitol gains rate. This is  a government that doesn’t perform its basic duties.  It would be great to go back to that, but we’re not there anymore. And it’s not just immigration. Crime, inflation, garbage in schools. All of that has been caused by policies introduced, they aren’t organic. 

I appreciate you disagreeing with me without being disagreeable.  BTW, those who disagree with me include a number of fine intellects. 

10 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I appreciate you disagrreing with me without being disagreeable.  BTW, those who disagree with me include a number of fine intellects. 

lol 

12 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I appreciate you disagrreing with me without being disagreeable.  BTW, those who disagree with me include a number of fine intellects. 

And I appreciate your appreciation of this.

The real takeaway from the Oz-Fetterman debate

The core distinction at the debate was that Fetterman is a progressive with sound ideas about what’s needed to make the country better, while Oz is an extremist and a political opportunist who has shape-shifted into a MAGA supporter to win Pennsylvania.

WOW........:blink:

Oz is an extremist. Who isn’t if he is? Every Republican is an extremist now, and no liberals are? 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Oz is an extremist. Who isn’t if he is? Every Republican is an extremist now, and no liberals are? 

Anyone who does not comply is an extremists to leftists. You are either with them or against them. 

47 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

So, it's like when liberals call conservatives fascist, extemist nazis. Somehow, you're only applying your logic against conservatives.

Just in time for Halloween the Left brings you.....

Frankenstein's Monster :bench:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

So, it's like when liberals call conservatives fascist, extemist nazis. Somehow, you're only applying your logic against conservatives.

True enough that in the post you quoted you are correct.  Of course, in the post you quoted I was only asked to expand upon one half of an assertion I made earlier, so that is what I did.  I would note that the complete assetion from earlier put forth the point I believe you are making. 

21 minutes ago, fandandy said:

It looks like half of the mail-in ballots were already cast before last night's debate.

Hopefully they’re all counted after midnight so the usual suspects can sob about muh fraud.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fandandy said:

It looks like half of the mail-in ballots were already cast before last night's debate.

Early mail-in's are your base.  They don't care about anything other than party line.  The debate most likely wouldn't have changed anyone's votes for those who mailed in their ballots already.