Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

She's getting more info now, this is a thread (of tweets).

People who live in a building with someone confirmed to have the virus will be quarantined for 14 days.

23 minutes ago, naomi said:

She's getting more info now, this is a thread (of tweets).

People who live in a building with someone confirmed to have the virus will be quarantined for 14 days.

Good grief. We have somebody in out apartment complex (a couple of buildings over) quarantined not for the virus itself but for exposure and possible contamination.

Also, we're down to 10 cases locally. One person has recovered. Haven't had a new case in two days.

That 34 year old Chinese doctor died from this. Don't tell me its just another disease. 34 year old healthy people do not typically die from a disease unless it's serious as hell. 

4 hours ago, DonS said:

Do kids still need to show up for work at the factories? 

They never leave anyway.  Crisis averted. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

That 34 year old Chinese doctor died from this. Don't tell me its just another disease. 34 year old healthy people do not typically die from a disease unless it's serious as hell. 

I seriously doubt he died from the virus. The powers that be were very unhappy with him for speaking out about this thing. He got Crintoned. 

2 hours ago, 5-Points said:

I seriously doubt he died from the virus. The powers that be were very unhappy with him for speaking out about this thing. He got Crintoned. 

I think the Chinese gov faces more negative from this doctor dying than him being alive

I think this is going to get pretty bad, my wife thinks I am crazy though.

I am wrong alot, I hope I am wrong this time.

8 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I hope your wife doesn't eat Bat Soup, or whatever strange Chinese culinary delight started this whole thing.

1 minute ago, fandandy said:

I'm curious if that's a recent video and if yes, what they are spraying.

Semen, China is trying to stay one step ahead of the declining birthrates the virus will cause

I'm supposed to travel Monday. DTW is deltas main Asian hub....

2 hours ago, 5-Points said:

This exactly. This isn’t the movie Outbreak, the virus is basically a flu that kills elderly and at risk people much like the regular flu already does in HUGE numbers annually. A ton of people have gotten it and just let it pass like they would a cold or flu and moved on. No way this guy died from Coronavirus, he is being made an example of by someone.

34 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I agree. This is scary stuff. A virus is probably what killed off the dinosaurs and is most likely to be what kills off the human race. 

People who still believe this is just some normal everyday flu are crazy.  China has 450 million ppl on lockdown.  It's not the flu.  It's a bit more serious.

Just saw that a Royal Caribbean cruise ship docked this morning in Bayonne, NJ with roughly a dozen sick chinese nationals on board.  They will be tested for the disease.  Passengers on board were never notified of the sick Chinese folks.  1000s of possibly infected americans will be filtering back into the population here.  Good times

2 hours ago, The Observer said:

Just saw that a Royal Caribbean cruise ship docked this morning in Bayonne, NJ with roughly a dozen sick chinese nationals on board.  They will be tested for the disease.  Passengers on board were never notified of the sick Chinese folks.  1000s of possibly infected americans will be filtering back into the population here.  Good times

Who needs masks $15 a pop

2 hours ago, fandandy said:

People who still believe this is just some normal everyday flu are crazy.  China has 450 million ppl on lockdown.  It's not the flu.  It's a bit more serious.

They have 6 billion....drop in the bucket

8 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

They have 6 billion....drop in the bucket

1.4 so almost a quarter of their population.

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I think the Chinese gov faces more negative from this doctor dying than him being alive

All I'm saying is, from what I heard, the police hauled him in for talking about the origins of this thing. That usually doesn't end well for you in Chiner. 

Between building containment camps that have bars on the windows and this, it's incredibly creepy what's going on over there. 

In terms of a flu, this is looking like it has a Spanish Flu-esque mortality rate. It's too early/China isn't giving reliable enough of info to say for sure of course, but so far it seems comparable. What set the Spanish Flu apart from others was how easily transmittable it was. So easily transmittable that with 5% or a little under mortality rate, that's still a huge amount of people. People over 50, pregnant women, and anyone with a compromised immune system have to be really careful if there's something that aggressive that starts circulating in their community. I'm not sure how young kids are fairing. (And this is assuming China's not sitting on something a little more sinister).

4 hours ago, naomi said:

Between building containment camps that have bars on the windows and this, it's incredibly creepy what's going on over there. 

They could be being arrested for something completely unrelated but everyone takes precautions

4 hours ago, naomi said:

Why do they all have their phones out and recording? 

16 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Dude's a national hero. If my koolaid drinking wife knows his story, then all of China knows it.

4 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

They could be being arrested for something completely unrelated but everyone takes precautions

That's a good point. The people who responded to give translations (one appeared to actually be Chinese) are saying it has to do with the virus. The residents don't want to go away because they *will* get sick in that case. The authorities are taking them due to exposure to a suspected or confirmed case. 

18 hours ago, fandandy said:

:huh:

Another example

So China is saying the virus has aerosol transmission, not just in the sense of being vulnerable within several feet of someone carrying it but it'll hang out in the air/in the wind and infect over a distance.

And some German scientists released preliminary findings that the virus can survive up to 9 days on a surface. So I'm thinking this is why the mass spray downs.

German study: https://news.rub.de/english/press-releases/2020-02-07-medicine-how-long-coronaviruses-persist-surfaces-and-how-inactivate-them

Even though it's the end of the world and we're all going to die soon, this is pretty remarkable and is something I don't believe the US could accomplish nearly as quickly and efficiently.  

BEIJING, February 7. /TASS/. The second of two new hospitals in China’s Wuhan will be opened on Saturday, Wuhan’s Vice-Mayor Hu Yabo said during a press conference on Friday.

"The 1,600-bed Leishenshan hospital will be opened on February 8," he said. According to the official, Wuhan hospitals can receive 8,900 patients in total, with the Huoshenshan hospital, which opened last week, receiving an additional 1,000 patients.

"Three field hospitals are working in the city with 4,250 beds," he added. City officials are currently re-equipping several school and university buildings for healthcare purposes.

The decision to construct the Leishenshan hospital was taken on January 25. The total area of the hospital comes up to 60,000 square meters. About 2,000 medical professionals are set to work at the hospital.

On February 4, the Huoshenshan hospital opened near Wuhan. Its construction was initiated on January 24. The hospital was built in eight days.

On December 31, Chinese authorities informed the World Health Organization (WHO) about an outbreak of an unknown pneumonia in the city of Wuhan - a large trade and industrial center in central China populated by 11 million people. On January 7, Chinese experts identified the infecting agent - coronavirus 2019-nCoV. The virus spread to 24 more countries apart from China - Australia, Belgium, Cambodia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, India, Italy, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States and Vietnam. WHO declared the coronavirus outbreak in China a global health emergency.

Currently, the total number of people infected with coronavirus exceeded 31,000 in China with over 630 people reported to have died from the disease. Meanwhile, over 1,500 people are said to have recovered from it.

2 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Even though it's the end of the world and we're all going to die soon, this is pretty remarkable and is something I don't believe the US could accomplish nearly as quickly and efficiently.  

What we consider a hospital and what they do are two different things.   HTH

2 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

It's likely similar to the tent manufacturing plant Tesla built to ramp up production in CA a couple years ago.  It's a temporary structure to meet the current needs but by no means a complete hospital.

An American and British expat have had a YouTube channel chronicling their life in China, usually filming on motorcycle rides, and one episode I saw that stood out to me was them going next to buildings that had been erected incredibly quickly even though there were no direct plans for any inhabitants. (I forget the financial incentive behind it but there was one). The structures, which looked decent initially, were crumbling quickly, and after only a year or so, not even safe to be walking next to. I can find the episode if anyone's interested, but the hospital thing wasn't impressing me due to that. And then in this case, as mentioned, I'd assume they're being approached as temporary in the first place. 

2 hours ago, fandandy said:

Of course, we could do it. The difference is China doesn't give a sh1t about safety. Like at all. That hospital will be falling apart in less than a year

An interesting NYT article on new info re: how the symptoms present (for some it's abdominal issues and nausea first):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/health/coronavirus-patients.html

For a bit it was appearing that men were dying at a higher rate than women, but with this 138 person cohort, it hasn't seemed to be the case. Verdict still out. I'd say smokers would be at more risk on the pneumonia note.

Not mentioned there but a thought as to why the Spanish Flu killed younger people as well - if a "cytokine storm" gets kicked off. Healthier immune systems put up more aggressive storms. There's some talk of CS with this so far.

ETA: looks like the NYT's info is from this reporter's experience. The cytokine storm dynamic is confirmed.  https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/reporters-notebook-life-and-death-in-a-wuhan-coronavirus-icu

So I thought I was the only one saying the doctor who died was murdered and his was all bogus but it’s a common theory. Lots of people know China silences people and doctors are now asking for immunity and protection from freedom speech on the matter.

One of the four passengers screened for coronavirus upon arriving in Bayonne on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship Friday morning has tested positive for the flu, according to the cruise line.

More than two dozen passengers on Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas cruise ship were required to undergo screenings Friday for the virus. Of the 27 passengers evaluated — all of whom recently traveled to mainland China — 23 were promptly cleared, and four were sent to University Hospital in Newark for further evaluation, officials said.

https://www.nj.com/healthfit/2020/02/cruise-passenger-screened-for-coronavirus-in-nj-actually-had-the-flu.html

8 hours ago, fandandy said:

Even though it's the end of the world 

I feel fine. :dunno:

9 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

This. I've been to their normal hospitals. I shudder to think what an "emergency field hospital" must be like.