Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

So... I got a job $#@!$@#$!@

Some of you may recall that towards the end of last year I lost my job due to a company restructuring, which technically is true although there was some political power struggle drama involved, which is often the case in sales.  Luckily my wife works and makes pretty good money, and we had been saving up for such a possibility, so it hasn't been a financial disaster.  Still not fun though.

I took a step back and thought about what I wanted at this stage of my life.  Most of my career has been in a certain type of engineering SW, working for large global companies.  In my perfect world I'd do something adjacent to that market (and hence different), and for a smaller company with more of a local focus.  I kissed a lot of frogs in the past 6-8 months, including a large company in an adjacent market about 6 months ago.  In that process though I met the owner of their top Value Added Reseller (VAR) which is based here.

Fast forward, more frogs, then Covid put the brakes on much field sales hiring.  Until...

The above VAR posted a job in May, in a different industry they support.  I applied and ended up talking to the above owner.  The talk went great and his biggest question was which of 3 possible positions to hire me into.  The one we agreed on was a new enterprise sales position with a focus on a handful of major accounts, for the above large adjacent market company.  It is new because as a channel partner, their other salespeople were young and inexperienced, focusing on small accounts for small tactical sales which didn't move the meter of the large partner.  But my 3 accounts do; in fact one is their #1 customer.  I don't "own" the accounts, which isn't ideal, but truth be told I more enjoy the demand creation side of sales vs. the contract crap.

I'm in my 3rd week and super excited.  Two of the three global managers for the accounts at the parent company have worked with me in my old industry and are psyched to have me on board.  For the third, I know the guy's manager.  I see lots of opportunity to sell at these accounts.  My company has about 80 people, about 3/4 in AZ.  Fun family atmosphere,  for instance they have a weekly (video conf) lunch where we watch old campy B&W TV shows and make fun of them over chat.  I can see building an enterprise team under me in the near future.

That's all for now.  You haven't seen my smiling virtual face much because I've been neck deep in onboarding and training.  I expect over time for things to loosen up some though.

Look at me!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1!!!ELEVEN!!!!!!!  :cheers:

P.S.  At the end of May as I was finalizing this job, within a 4 day span, 3 of the companies I had talked to pre-Covid came back to me asking if I was still interested, and I got two new unsolicited contacts.  So I think things are opening up in the hiring market.

• Like 4

Congratulations buddy. Did you have to swallow during the interview or was cupping the balls the only requirement?

Congrats Jerry, although your characterization of your time off as not being fun is unfortunate.  I've been laid off once since starting my adult, real work life.  I got a nice severance package plus unemployment.  Hadn't had significant time off since college.  I took two months and did absolutely nothing, other than spending about a week preparing for and passing a technical certification I'd been wanting.  Didn't even start looking for a job for at least that two months.  Went to matinee movies where the theater was totally empty except me.  Played a lot of online poker and drank a lot.  It was a great time!  But, I digress.  Congrats!  :cheers:

Congrats!  :cheers:

I've been involuntarily out of for an extended period of time before and it isn't fun. Glad it finally worked out for you Jerry! 

34 minutes ago, Strike said:

Congrats Jerry, although your characterization of your time off as not being fun is unfortunate.  I've been laid off once since starting my adult, real work life.  I got a nice severance package plus unemployment.  Hadn't had significant time off since college.  I took two months and did absolutely nothing, other than spending about a week preparing for and passing a technical certification I'd been wanting.  Didn't even start looking for a job for at least that two months.  Went to matinee movies where the theater was totally empty except me.  Played a lot of online poker and drank a lot.  It was a great time!  But, I digress.  Congrats!  :cheers:

Well... it wasn't completely un-fun.  I had basically 3 months severance during which I didn't do a whole lot.  Interestingly, it started in October when I did Sober October so I drank nothing in the beginning.  I looked into a few things thru 2019 but by and large didn't do a whole lot.  The bad part was when Covid shut everything down and after a while I started to get nervous, although the feds kicked in that $600 which was a big help (AZ only pays $240/week, second lowest in the country.  By contrast, MA pays over $1200 with dependents, and with the Fed $600 that works out to a $93K salary to do nothing.  Why would most people work in MA?  :dunno: )

Who cares?  

Fock off.  Seriously. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorthernVike said:

Who cares?  

Fock off.  Seriously. 

What. You forgot to log in as Philthybear ?

what are we, you're parents?

Congratulations Jerry. I am sure having the job takes weight off your shoulders, but it is great that it is a good landing spot as well.

Make it count because you are now getting old enough to be discriminated against. :lol:

14 hours ago, Strike said:

I like this.

I had a place I worked that I didn't like and when I lost that job, I entered a nightmare. I had my wife scream at me and berate me constantly. Two - three days later, I the first job offer to come my way, which seemed clear to me would be and turned out it was a total sh*t job even worse than the original, just to shut her up. This was maybe ten years ago. 

Anyway, congrats Jerry.

I'd like to apologize for my first response.  Congratulations.

BTW, can I borrow $10,000?  :unsure:

50 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

BTW, can I borrow $10,000?  :unsure:

No!  Just go into the twin toilets and steal whatever you need.  

2 hours ago, nospk said:

Sounds boring as fock

How so?  I work with companies at the forefront of technology developing things like autonomous vehicles, 5G, advanced avionics/missiles/radar, quantum computers... it's not like I'm a paratrooping pro baseball player like Digby, but for an engineer like me it is pretty interesting work.  Plus as I mentioned it is an adjacent area so even though I'm in sales I get to exercise my inner techie with new things like RF, stress, thermal, fluids.

What do you do that is so hella exciting?  :dunno:

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

How so?  I work with companies at the forefront of technology developing things like autonomous vehicles, 5G, advanced avionics/missiles/radar, quantum computers... it's not like I'm a paratrooping pro baseball player like Digby, but for an engineer like me it is pretty interesting work.  Plus as I mentioned it is an adjacent area so even though I'm in sales I get to exercise my inner techie with new things like RF, stress, thermal, fluids.

What do you do that is so hella exciting?  :dunno:

Great, it was a joke there Jerry

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, nospk said:

Great, it was a joke there Jerry

He doesn't know funny.  :mellow:

1 hour ago, NorthernVike said:

He doesn't know funny.  :mellow:

He sells stuff whoop de doo

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nospk said:

He sells stuff whoop de doo