jerryskids

I have Cancer :/ -- still doing well

Happy birthday my fellow EdEx pal, glad to hear you’re doing well :cheers:

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

All is still good, but I wanted to talk about tomorrow (7/26), which is my 56th birthday.  56 is a seemingly unimportant age, but to me it is a big milestone.  My dad passed away in 1985, two months shy of his 56th birthday.  His dad died at a young age as well, long before I was born.  As such, I've always had this little tickler in the back of my mind that thought "man, I hope I can make it to 56."  Sometimes it was somewhat of a joke, like duh, of course I will!  Other times it had some seriousness, during times in my life where I didn't exactly treat my body like a temple.  But still, 56 in this day and age, barring an accident or a congenital issue, it should be expected, right?

This is not weird at all...  My father was terrified when he was approaching 61 as no male on his side of the family ever reached that birthday number...  Luckily he went past it...

4 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

That’s awesome, man. Great to read things like this.

What’s the wine?

The more expensive one is a Kathryn Hall 2016 Napa Valley cab.  I may save that one for our 30th anniversary in October though.

The other is a Del Dotto 2018, also Napa Valley cab.  It was a special bottling early in Covid when everything was shut down; we had enjoyed the ones we bought when we were there, so we ordered a few bottles.  This is the last one we have left.

We have a third bottle now that I think of it -- our mortgage team got us a bottle of red with a picture of our house and our close date etched into the glass.  I have no idea what the wine is, but it's sitting in our wine fridge.  Seems to me we should drink it and display the empty bottle...

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

The more expensive one is a Kathryn Hall 2016 Napa Valley cab.  I may save that one for our 30th anniversary in October though.

The other is a Del Dotto 2018, also Napa Valley cab.  It was a special bottling early in Covid when everything was shut down; we had enjoyed the ones we bought when we were there, so we ordered a few bottles.  This is the last one we have left.

We have a third bottle now that I think of it -- our mortgage team got us a bottle of red with a picture of our house and our close date etched into the glass.  I have no idea what the wine is, but it's sitting in our wine fridge.  Seems to me we should drink it and display the empty bottle...

Nice. Don’t know all the different Napa wine makers, but I’m sure those will be very good. They know how to make a good Cab down there.

Enjoy and congrats again on the milestone and continued good health. Cheers. 

27 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Nice. Don’t know all the different Napa wine makers, but I’m sure those will be very good. They know how to make a good Cab down there.

Enjoy and congrats again on the milestone and continued good health. Cheers. 

Thanks!  They are both from St. Helena, which is where the big bold reds are grown/made.  :cheers: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

All is still good, but I wanted to talk about tomorrow (7/26), which is my 56th birthday.  56 is a seemingly unimportant age, but to me it is a big milestone.  My dad passed away in 1985, two months shy of his 56th birthday.  His dad died at a young age as well, long before I was born.  As such, I've always had this little tickler in the back of my mind that thought "man, I hope I can make it to 56."  Sometimes it was somewhat of a joke, like duh, of course I will!  Other times it had some seriousness, during times in my life where I didn't exactly treat my body like a temple.  But still, 56 in this day and age, barring an accident or a congenital issue, it should be expected, right?

Then three years ago come early August, I got the cancer diagnosis.

Weird thing was, I was oddly confident at first.  I took the route most likely to get all of the cancer, a laryngectomy, even though it basically ended my life as I knew it.  But a new life would emerge.  Through multiple surgeries, two months of radiation, and complete silence throughout, I took solace that my sacrifice would eradicate the cancer and I would live to see my kids graduate, get married, have my grandkids, and be there with my wife through it all.  That's more important than speaking.

Then a scan showed metastasis.

In addition to the disappointment that I had given up my voice and still had the metastasis, this was the first time I thought "dang, I'm really going to die from this."  My medical team felt the same.  The historical 5 year survival for my case was, well, let's just say single digits.  It was basically when, not if.  I was 2.5 years away from my 56th, and I laughed for fear of crying, thinking "I can't believe I'm really not going to make it to 56."

And yet... here I am.  Immunotherapy is new and has been a game changer, for those like me who are fortunate to respond well to it.  I've also done some stuff to improve my health as well and potentially assist with the cancer fight, at least I like to think so.

Years ago I listened to a meditation called something like "the last time."  It talked about how everything in your life will happen for a last time; for those with children for instance, there will be a last time picking them up, a last time telling them a goodnight story, the last time coaching a team, etc.  The idea is to treat more events like it might be the last time, to be present and enjoy them.  I try to do that, but it is quite hard.  My advice is that you try to do it as well.  Even without cancer, there will be a last time...

My wife knows this is a big deal for me.  She took the day off from work; we'll sleep in (wink wink), head to the DBacks day game vs. the Cards, then have dinner with my kids, where my wife got me a tomahawk steak.  I've got two very nice bottles of wine I got 5 years ago when out at Napa for our 25th anniversary (visite @Bier Meisteron that trip); I'll open one of them.  This was something else I heard recently -- we keep things like the nice wine forever and never drink it; why?  Wine is for drinking and sharing with those you love.  

Anyway, for those who made it this far, thanks for letting me rant, look at MEEEEEE$#@! :cheers: 

Very good, Jerry. I'd love to know what wines you've been saving for this occasion. 

I know the feeling ‘Skids (not to hijack). My father also passed away in 1985 and was only 44. I was happy to get past that age as 3 of his brothers also passed away young - I thought I was doomed. Now I am 10 years past that. 

Anyway happy birthday Jerry and to many many more. 

:cheers:

46 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Oh, never mind. We focking LOVE the Kathryn wine. I haven't heard of the other one. We love big, bold cabs.

Happy birthday; keep on keepin’ on!

Toofy's thread about being in a good place reminded me to give an update:

I'm also happy and doing well!

About 3 months ago they stopped giving me Keytruda, as I had had repeated scans with no changes (just that one small nodule, which I long ago concluded is not cancer).  Last Friday I had my first scan since then, and it was a little scary since I was off the immuno.  But, the scans were unchanged.  Wonderfully boring.  In addition, my oncologist has suggested pushing the next scan out to 4 months vs. 3.  

All of this goodness is juxtaposed by people around me getting sick and/or dying.  Two weeks ago my next door neighbor from our previous house (20 years) passed from glioblastoma, a nasty brain cancer.  I also mentioned here somewhere that my current next door neighbor has colorectal cancer; he went to his onc yesterday to discuss possible clinical trials (there are no approved treatments for his situation).  

Maybe living next to me is bad luck.  :unsure:

Also my wife's brother's good friend passed away this week of leukemia.  She said he got sick after me, and then said she has a little bit of survivor's guilt since I'm doing so well.  I was like :mellow: I'm good.

To remind her that my life isn't all a bed of roses, I did some regular maintenance on my stoma last night which causes a lot of pain and coughing.  That made her less guilty.  :D

Anyway, that's all, enjoy your holidays!  :cheers: 

• Like 1

All these great post today makes me give thanks.  Thank you God for your Grace and Mercy.  Amen. 

• Thanks 1

not that you're going anywhere but this thread always reminds me that you are one of a handful of geeks i'd enjoy having a drink with or playing a round of golf. As long as you don't start posting about how unattractive I am when I don't bang you :lol:

one day 

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

not that you're going anywhere but this thread always reminds me that you are one of a handful of geeks i'd enjoy having a drink with or playing a round of golf. As long as you don't start posting about how unattractive I am when I don't bang you :lol:

one day 

:lol:

I make no promises.  :nono: 

Seriously tho, I'd take you up on that.  Now that my daughter is living in Manhattan, perhaps someday I'll be back there for a few days without the wife.  If so I'd definitely be up for meeting you, Shots, HT, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting at the moment.  :cheers: 

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Glad to hear. I feel badly for Matt Leinart though.

I had to think on this for a second.  :D

The guy who died lived between Leinart and us.  Also, Leinart moved after a few years, he needed a gated community because of his high profile.  

Please make sure your wife or children come here to let us know when you croak. :cheers: 

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

one day 

Can we stop talking about it and JUST DO IT!

Keep on truckin' Jerry.