KSB2424

Nothing on the Texas School shooting?

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

NYT says in passing that he got bullied for being gay. Not that it matters much, but be prepared to see the memory hole swallow the fact it was a gay teen who shoot up the school.

How many political agendas can get jammed into one incident?

38 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Parkland, Buffalo, and yesterday were 18 y/os. The trench coat mafia in Colorado that started this were as well. Likely many more I’m forgetting 

Dylan Roof - 21 yrs old when he did the Charleston church shooting.    

Adam Lanza - 20 yrs old when he did Sandy Hook.   

1 minute ago, Cloaca du jour said:

How many political agendas can get jammed into one incident?

Have they found a climate change manifesto yet? 

7 minutes ago, Masshole said:

No - I don't think he did.   As noted in other posts - background checks wouldn't have prevented this nor Buffalo.         

They should. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Exactly, and when you have children of the same age it really hits harder.

No doubt. Have two in elementary right now…not even sure what to tell them if anything. How do you prep a kid for an adult shooting a gun at them. 

I just did a quick search so perhaps someone has better stats.  But wasn't gun homicide at a higher rate in the 70s and 80s when the rate of gun ownership was lower? What am I missing?

• Sad 1

Look you guys can get into a political huff and puff all day. Democrat Republican but look if nobody did anything after Sandy Hook they sure as fock are not going to do anything about Texas. But rant on

2 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Look you guys can get into a political huff and puff all day. Democrat Republican but look if nobody did anything after Sandy Hook they sure as fock are not going to do anything about Texas. But rant on

I don't like the narrative "Nobody did anything", things are done.  Guns are not going to be illegal, but still things are done.

I saw it on here yesterday and have always believed it myself-have our military (we have enough personnel) guard entrances to our schools. 

20 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

And how many times has someone used a gun with “no background check” for these shootings? Hint: they don’t. You’re too focking stupid to realize you’re trying to argue something that has no reason to be argued in this thread you dumb piece of Sh1t 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I wasn’t arguing anything. I was correcting your statement that all gun sales require a background check. That’s just factually untrue.

:dunno: 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, huskyhater75 said:

I saw it on here yesterday and have always believed it myself-have our military (we have enough personnel) guard entrances to our schools. 

We don't need military, just lock the focking door, and then have a security guard walk around.

I wonder if the door was locked but someone just let him in, or held the door open, or something like that....

Just now, GutterBoy said:

We don't need military, just lock the focking door, and then have a security guard walk around.

Sounds good too, I just thought that since military guys are already getting paid let them collect their pay guarding schools.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

I wasn’t arguing anything. I was correcting your statement that all gun sales require a background check. That’s just factually untrue.

:dunno: 

Sorry you’re done here. Leave 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

No. The main entrance should be manned at all times and access shoood be restricted 

17 minutes ago, Masshole said:

Dylan Roof - 21 yrs old when he did the Charleston church shooting.    

Adam Lanza - 20 yrs old when he did Sandy Hook.   

Seung-Hui Cho - 23 yrs old when he did the VA Tech shooting.   Still the worst mass shooting incident in US history.  

Note this regarding Cho and background checks:

Cho was able to pass both background checks and successfully complete both handgun purchases after he presented to the gun dealers his U.S. permanent residency card, his Virginia driver's permit to prove legal age and length of Virginia residence and a checkbook showing his Virginia address, in addition to waiting the required 30-day period between each gun purchase. He was successful at completing both handgun purchases because he did not disclose on the background questionnaire that a Virginia court had ordered him to undergo outpatient treatment at a mental health facility.

In Cho's case, there were a lot of family and people who knew him who would have said "there's no way this guy should own a gun".     

Raise the age to purchase guns to 25 and escalate red flag laws and the structure to support them would seem to me to be the actions that would have the biggest impact on stopping these kinds of events.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I wonder if the door was locked but someone just let him in, or held the door open, or something like that....

Could very well be, I just read few days ago about a security guard (I forget which shooting) that's on trial because he hid outside of the chool while shooter was inside. You hear about this?

59 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What I struggle to understand is why an 18 year old would choose to shoot up an elementary school.  It makes more sense to attack your peers, not little kids that you most likely have no connection to.

That’s where the metal issues come into play.  A pixxed off, angry, bullied but somewhat normal person would get back at the bullies themselves.  

Seeing how young most of these school shooters are makes me think that the idea of raising the age to buy a gun might be a productive idea.  It's worth seriously looking into at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

One side will call for them to ban all guns. The other I don’t even know but it’s usually not something helpful. Either way, both are wrong 

100% 

34 minutes ago, Masshole said:

No - I don't think he did.   As noted in other posts - background checks wouldn't have prevented this nor Buffalo.         

"Something needs to be done"   nailed it.

But it won't be

Since Sandy Hook 2012, 3000+ people have been killed in Mass shootings. Not all have been at schools. Great. lets protect the schools, what about everyone else?

11 minutes ago, Masshole said:

Seung-Hui Cho - 23 yrs old when he did the VA Tech shooting.   Still the worst mass shooting incident in US history.  

Vegas was worse. 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Vegas was worse. 

Yup, sorry - meant to say "deadliest school shooting in US history".    

13 minutes ago, huskyhater75 said:

Could very well be, I just read few days ago about a security guard (I forget which shooting) that's on trial because he hid outside of the chool while shooter was inside. You hear about this?

This was Parkland in Florida, no?

• Thanks 1

Security guards...cops...etc.  dont you see all of the anti cop tik toks?  Telling kids cops arent your friend...dont talk to them..etc.  our society is focked...

I have a fourth grader.  I can’t read about this anymore, makes me want to throw up.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Seeing how young most of these school shooters are makes me think that the idea of raising the age to buy a gun might be a productive idea.  It's worth seriously looking into at least.

So raise the age of those who can be in the military?

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

I have a fourth grader.  I can’t read about this anymore, makes me want to throw up.  

3rd grader here. I had to shut the news off. 

Just now, Utilit99 said:

So raise the age of those who can be in the military?

I see how that raises some major questions but I think it could figured out.  The young adults who go into the military receive proper education on using guns.  I think there would need to be exceptions for certain people under the age of 25 to be able to buy guns.

Homicides from guns rose 35% during the first year of the pandemic to the highest level since 1994, according to a CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly report published Tuesday. The homicide rate from firearms increased to 6.1 per 100,000 people in 2020 compared with 4.6 per 100,000 in 2019.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

This was Parkland in Florida, no?

Yeah I think that was the one-there's been so darned many it's hard to keep track, and that's just sad.

17 hours ago, Masshole said:

Somehow we have to get a handle on disturbed people getting their hands on guns.    This has gone too far.    

There are things that can be done, that are supported by almost the entire population of America.

Americans support:

93% - universal background checks
89% - prevent mentally ill from buying guns
88% - prevent convicted violent criminals from buying guns
82% - prevent people on the no-fly list from buying guns
77% - background checks at gun shows and for private sales
72% - mandatory waiting period for buying guns

Why are we letting our politicians get away with not passing laws that the vast majority of Americans want? Both parties should support at least the items in the list above.

3 minutes ago, dogcows said:

I'm surprised this percentage isn't higher.  Were violent criminals part of this poll?

3 minutes ago, dogcows said:

There are things that can be done, that are supported by almost the entire population of America.

Americans support:

Why are we letting our politicians get away with not passing laws that the vast majority of Americans want? Both parties should support at least the items in the list above.

Racist!!

5 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Americans support:

I'm good with all this, BUT, still wouldn't have stopped this.

Govt can only do so much.  What I want to know is did this doosh have parents?  Anyone in his life that could have done something?

4 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Americans support:

Agree 100%, also too bad there couldn'tbe a restrictions put up for marge greene supporters-from what she says, if anybody supports her they are a threat-she spews violence.

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Govt can only do so much.  What I want to know is did this doosh have parents?  Anyone in his life that could have done something?

From what I read there were plenty of red flags about this kid.

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Same here, no mention so far about any of that.