Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Anyone work in their job for over 20 years?

I'm coming up on 20 at the end of the year.

For nearly 20 years I feel like I've never known what I have been doing at work. Every day is something new that I don't know anything about at the start of the day but have to figure it out by the end of the day or given week. I wouldn't mind a year of knowing every aspect of what I'm walking into at work. Just go in and diligently turn and burn the numbers through basic physical activity already knowing how to calculate everything. 

I'm tired of consulting. 

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

27 and will end up doing 33ish total. 

Dang. Just think of when you were 15, and how you thought about 27 years of doing something. Crazy. 

Longest continuous job I've ever had was 4-5 years.  I'm coming up on 4 years this year with my current job.

I've had 7 jobs the last 10 years. I have zero loyalty to companies. The second I get a better offer I'm gone. I put in one application a week to always keep my options opened.

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I've had 7 jobs the last 10 years. I have zero loyalty to companies. The second I get a better offer I'm gone. I put in one application a week to always keep my options opened.

lol, what a doosh

35 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

lol, what a doosh

Nope, why have loyalty to a company that doesn't have loyalty to you? 

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

They call me the butcher. I've been slinging the same meat for over 40 years.

Family work? That's a focking long time.

35 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

lol, what a doosh

He might be a little extreme on his timeframe of a new job every year or so but how does that make him a doosh? He's right. Not to mention companies value external talent more than internal talent. It is a smart move to look for other opportunities. 

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Family work? That's a focking long time.

there's some days I don't feel like going to work. But I always come.

I'm as lonely as the Maytag repairman. Or the Goodrich blimp operator. 

Just now, Brad GLuckman said:

He might be a little extreme on his timeframe of a new job every year or so but how does that make him a doosh? He's right. Not to mention companies value external talent more than internal talent. It is a smart move to look for other opportunities. 

Honestly, I think everybody in corporate can relate to this. The number of times I've been offered a single digit increase to stay while my replacement gets a double digit increase to come in and be a f*** nut is ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Nope, why have loyalty to a company that doesn't have loyalty to you? 

I don't know what industry you work in but for  most professionals job hopping is a red flag

6 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

My longest tenure was 13 years; technically it was two companies but the first was acquired by the second and I stayed on for 9-ish years.  

I don't have the job-hopper mindset; I grew up in a blue collar area where people worked their factory jobs for their whole life (unless the shop closed down, which happened to my dad).  But I understand that times changed long ago, and it is smart for people to move for more money and/or higher positions.

My wife works with a guy that she considers useless. He has bemoaned to her how he wants to move into management but the company not only doesn't promote him, but gives him minimal raises.  My wife has told him that he can't continue to do the bare minimum; he needs to go above and beyond a little.  

Yeah, he just got a job with a consulting company making $50K more.  I presume they'll find out shortly that he is bare-minimum guy, but I certainly don't bemoan him for doing it.  Maybe the fresh start will jump start him, we'll see.  :dunno:

14 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Depends on the job like I said, but you generally want to commit to something and it takes some time to achieve goals.  It was more of the apply for a new job every week that is dooshy.  Who does that?

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

lol, what a doosh

I don't get this.  Even if you don't agree with his career choices personal attacks aren't really warranted here.

Oh, and to this thread, longest I've ever been at a single job was 9.5 years. 

13 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Depends on the job like I said, but you generally want to commit to something and it takes some time to achieve goals.  It was more of the apply for a new job every week that is dooshy.  Who does that?

Most people don't because

1)  To submit a serious application takes time.  And now for any decent sized company it's all online which is a PITA. 

2)  Most people don't find a job a week that actually interests them.  I guess if you're a fry cook which fast food restaurant you make fries for doesn't matter much, but for those of us with real jobs there aren't that many that stand out to be worth applying for.

3)  None of this makes looking for that next, better, higher paying fry cook job dooshy.

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

I don't get this.  Even if you don't agree with his career choices personal attacks aren't really warranted here.

Oh, and to this thread, longest I've ever been at a single job was 9.5 years. 

I can't call someone a doosh now?

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

Personally the stress of starting over at a new place with a new culture, people, processes etc. basically every year wouldn’t be worth a small bump in pay. 

7.5 years for me.  

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Personally the stress of starting over at a new place with a new culture, people, processes etc. basically every year wouldn’t be worth a small bump in pay. 

7.5 years for me.  

Agreed.  I know I could switch jobs now and get another $30K, I'm just not up for the challenge at this point in my life.  Plus I'm still vesting equity.

19, wont leave this gig. Too close to retirement.

Got 4.5 to 6.5 left.

28+ years.  Had a chance to make a little more $$ 5 or so years ago with a competing company.  At the end of the day I decided to stay where I was at.  Good co-workers was a big reason and I would've missed the 5 weeks of paid time off plus every holiday the gubmint gets I get.   I like my time off.

• Like 1

28 years in Oct. New owner bought out my old boss 2 years ago.  The work is the same but a lot of other changes. Not all of them good. Myself and another guy are the only originals left the rest are his people.  If not for the convenience of it being of being really close to where I live I think I would seriously look at other options. 

I'm on my third job.  First was a restaurant in hs and college for 8 years, second job went 10 years, this job currently now in my 10th year, low 40s and could see myself doing this work into my 60s.

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I'm coming up on 20 at the end of the year.

For nearly 20 years I feel like I've never known what I have been doing at work. Every day is something new that I don't know anything about at the start of the day but have to figure it out by the end of the day or given week. I wouldn't mind a year of knowing every aspect of what I'm walking into at work. Just go in and diligently turn and burn the numbers through basic physical activity already knowing how to calculate everything. 

I'm tired of consulting. 

19 years - built a book of business and went on my own for the last 6 years.  Best move evah!

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

19 years - built a book of business and went on my own for the last 6 years.  Best move evah!

I've known many like you. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Aren’t you a millionaire from buying crypto early though?

31 years and counting.   Been my own boss since 1994.  Haven't focked it up yet.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

I don't know what industry you work in but for  most professionals job hopping is a red flag

I have a BA in marketing.. bounced around a few marketing gigs and now I have a SDR role at a SaaS company.

When I say I put applications out often I just mean I'm constantly putting my name out there on LinkedIn. Talking to recruiters, etc..

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Aren’t you a millionaire from buying crypto early though?

Nope. I did however make enough to put a very very large down payment on my first house in my early 20s that I've already paid off. Now I just mainly DCA and stake.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthernVike said:

31 years and counting.   Been my own boss since 1994.  Haven't focked it up yet.   

Well, since that is 28 years, hopefully your insurance business doesn't require much math.  :P

I've been teaching EFL in China for 20 years but this place is getting stupider and we may leave. Not keen on doing so as I'm not keen on trying something new only 15 years away from 65 but things happen.