Sign in to follow this  
dpbuddha

I waited on TE...need to figure out who to roster as backup

For the first time I ended my auction draft with a few extra bucks and one big regret...my TE position. We roster 2 TE's and I left the draft with Kmet and Albert O, but I'm not sold on Albert O as the best option. I'm hoping to catch "lightning in a bottle" here with a guy who could explode and, yes, it could be Albert O, but is he the best candidate? 

Albert O - Huge/fast dude, coming off a missed season, Russell Wilson in town, Fant is gone but Denver drafted Dulcich in the 3rd round. Will he be/stay ahead of Dulcich?

Irv Smith - Tons of hype before the injury and missed last season. Conklin is gone...Smith doesn't seem to have competition at the position. Likely 3rd in the pecking order in Minnesota.

Brevin Jordan - No clear-cut #2 passing target in Houston, but perhaps Nico Collins emerges as a stud. And...it's Houston. This feels like a boom-or-bust candidate with higher likelihood of bust.

Any opinions on who to roll into week 1 with? 

Roll through the year with Kmet; drop Albert O for any warm body at RB/WR and don't look back.

A bit of an under-the-radar name not getting mentioned much is Hayden Hurst. Went to the Bengals. Pretty sure handed and could see him being a red zone target

6 hours ago, dpbuddha said:

For the first time I ended my auction draft with a few extra bucks and one big regret...my TE position. We roster 2 TE's and I left the draft with Kmet and Albert O, but I'm not sold on Albert O as the best option. I'm hoping to catch "lightning in a bottle" here with a guy who could explode and, yes, it could be Albert O, but is he the best candidate? 

Albert O - Huge/fast dude, coming off a missed season, Russell Wilson in town, Fant is gone but Denver drafted Dulcich in the 3rd round. Will he be/stay ahead of Dulcich?

Irv Smith - Tons of hype before the injury and missed last season. Conklin is gone...Smith doesn't seem to have competition at the position. Likely 3rd in the pecking order in Minnesota.

Brevin Jordan - No clear-cut #2 passing target in Houston, but perhaps Nico Collins emerges as a stud. And...it's Houston. This feels like a boom-or-bust candidate with higher likelihood of bust.

Any opinions on who to roll into week 1 with? 

I think Kmet will be pretty decent.  I think he can be a TE1 this year.  They're going to have a better offensive system/game plan and he's probably the second best target option behind Mooney.  Both guys could see 8 to 10 targets a game.

I went Kelce.  You're focked :banana:

55 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

A bit of an under-the-radar name not getting mentioned much is Hayden Hurst. Went to the Bengals. Pretty sure handed and could see him being a red zone target

I also think Hurst may be a surprise to many this year.

You start two or you can roster two? If you only start one I wouldn’t roster a second one

Don’t need two te, keep Kmet, and stream if need be.  

Albert has a soft week 1 matchup (SEA).  See if he can perform. Then drop/replace if necessary.  With Kmet as your other option, you are now in TE streaming territory. Hopefully you find a suitable keeper.  

40 minutes ago, Grack said:

With Kmet as your other option

With Kmet you have a set-it-and-forget-it option at TE.

3 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

He's definitely in line to inherit Uzomah's workload.

I also have waited in some drafts, snagged Kmet and taking a wild shot here but last pick am grabbing taysom hill to see how many targets/runs he gets a game to start.....they could use him in quite a few packages, or he could do nothing.

Kmet is going to be a solid TE1,  nothing to worry about.... but if you have to roster 2, I like Irv Smith of the options you mentioned. 

No, Kmet and stream, darn I Smith can’t stay healthy. Just when you’re going to need him, he’ll be unavailable. 

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Just to be clear, in this league you must roster 2 TEs, so I'm just trying to sort out who should be my potential breakout backup guy.

Njoku if available is a guy with serious breakout potential. They are paying him top 5 TE money, and someone besides Cooper will be getting targets. In the Preseason you already saw Brisett checking down to him a bunch…

I think I would just keep Albert.  

Gerald Everett - the TE nobody is drafting. Probably because the 28 y.o. hasn't done much in five year career. His career best came last season in Seattle and still wasn't very impressive:  48 rec, 478 yds, 4 TDs.

So where does Everett play now?  The LA Chargers signed him to a 2-year $12m deal. He's the no. 1 TE with Mr. 5,000 yds Herbert.  Last year, Herbert targeted 34 y.o. Jared Cook 83 times, who played 16 games.  Cook is gone and the only other TE competition is "Donald Parham" who's worthless.

• Like 1

Everett is going to be a good stream.  

Mark Bavaro would have been great, but I would only roster one tight end, even if your league requires two. Rules don't matter in this day and age. Play to win baby!

8 hours ago, SexyRexy said:

Engram. I get it he’s burned us but he’s going to be a big part of that offense and is worth a stash.

People forget that Engram's new coach is the guy who made Ertz/Goedert fantasy relevant in Philly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AxeElf said:

People forget that Engram's new coach is the guy who made Ertz/Goedert fantasy relevant in Philly.

Absolutely. Look at pederson history, look at jags depth chart offensively. It’s pretty clear engram is going to outperform his value and quite frankly if Lawrence takes a nice step forward he could be more than that.

Most years I wait on TE’s.  Then I end up streaming them.  Wanted more production out of the position.  This year I had the first pick in a snake draft with 10 teams   When pick 3.01 came around I snagged Mark Andrews.  Picked up Zach Ertz in the 14th (I know he’s hurt at the moment) for insurance.

33 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

Most years I wait on TE’s.  Then I end up streaming them.  Wanted more production out of the position.  This year I had the first pick in a snake draft with 10 teams   When pick 3.01 came around I snagged Mark Andrews.  Picked up Zach Ertz in the 14th (I know he’s hurt at the moment) for insurance.

Shoulda snagged Zeke in the third and made do with Ertz in the 14th at TE.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:30 AM, cyclone24 said:

You start two or you can roster two? If you only start one I wouldn’t roster a second one

Agree with this. And I think you wait til injury or bye to stream another TE, then do so on a game script bias. 

2 hours ago, drdelaware said:

Oh my soul, just think about the rb/wr you could have drafted in that third round, and still picked a very good te in the double digit rounds.

Shame.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Oh my soul, just think about the rb/wr you could have drafted in that third round, and still picked a very good te in the double digit rounds.

Shame.  

I got Jonathan Taylor in rd 1 and Kamara at the end of round 2.  What it did do was set me back a little at WR.

11 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

I got Jonathan Taylor in rd 1 and Kamara at the end of round 2.  What it did do was set me back a little at WR.

So you do admit that taking a te in third cost you at wr.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

So you do admit that taking a te in third cost you at wr.  

Flaw in your thinking: it is tremendously easier to pluck a fantasy relevant WR2-3 off the waiver wire that will remain consistent over an entire season  than it is to do the same with a TE. It's an abundance of position thing.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

1 hour ago, IMMensaMind said:

Flaw in your thinking: it is tremendously easier to pluck a fantasy relevant WR2-3 off the waiver wire that will remain consistent over an entire season  than it is to do the same with a TE. It's an abundance of position thing.

Flaw in your thinking; I bet I can pluck a TE2-3 off the waiver wire that will remain consistent over an entire season too.

Heck, there will probly be 2-3 TEs you can pick off the waiver wire after Week 1 that will get you about the same points as the average TE1 over the entire season.

4 hours ago, IMMensaMind said:

I’m not looking for a TE to remain consistent over the course of a season, I’m only looking to pick one up to help me win my matchup. 

Than it’s off to stream land.  Heck sometimes like last season one can land a Knox, Schultz did you see how productive he was, even a Henry that can help any team win its weekly matchup.  In the leagues I’m in, as the season wears on, much harder to pluck a wr2-3 of a wavier wire, i rather draft them, and stream my TE.  

Thanks. 

I went with Albert O and Hurst. When I second guess my tight ends and swap them out to get cute before the season starts, I usually get burned. So I'm sticking with the pair for a few weeks at least.

I do like Albert's week 1 match-up a lot.