Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

Were you bullied as a child?

Kind of depends on how you define bullying, I suppose...but I am kind of referring to the old school type of bullying. Fights, really cruel name calling, hiding in the bathroom during lunch because someone wanted to beat you up, etc. 

I was bullied. I was on the "softer" side, frizzy/curly red hair, freckles, and not the most attractive young child. I remember being bullied by a neighbor. We had a pool and when we'd play Marco Polo, it was more "Marco!" "Fatso!"  He was always a jerk, and IIRC he didn't really become much as he got older. He was also incredibly short. I remember his mom was around 4-foot something, dad was over 6 ft. His older sisters ended up tall, I would bet he made it to maybe 5'3" as an adult. 

Then I was bullied by a 6th grade girl when I was in 5th grade. We had a Junior Olympics competition; see how long you can jump rope, how far you can run, etc. The 6th grade girl won the jump rope competition the day before. She was one who'd bullied me before, made a lot of just really MEAN and cruel comments. She threatened to "kick my a$$" if I beat her at jump rope for the Junior Olympics. 

I went and beat her anyways while she watched; she didn't end up beating me up. 

I would venture to guess that everyone has been bullied at least once in their life...

• Like 1

Just now, posty said:

I would venture to guess that everyone has been bullied at least once in their life...

Of course. 

I am curious about the beating up type of stuff though. 

Was getting your a$$ kicked by your peers more common when we were younger? 

My kids NEVER came home from school telling me that so and so was going to beat them up the next day or anything like that. 

6 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Of course. 

I am curious about the beating up type of stuff though. 

Was getting your a$$ kicked by your peers more common when we were younger? 

My kids NEVER came home from school telling me that so and so was going to beat them up the next day or anything like that. 

Never gotten into a fight...  Just teased a lot...

• Haha 1

I was always a little taller for my age which had advantages.  We had an open campus in highschool and i remember once a bunch of kids were hanging out in a arcade kinda place.  Seniors came in and said they were gonna beat up any freshmen that were in there.  Which they did. Dragged them outside.  Didn't brutally beat them or anything,  just pushed them down, wedgies, other dumb stuff.  They believed i was a sophomore cause of my height.  I kept my mouth shut.

I was not the bully, nor was I bullied.  I was the guy people came to when they were bullied. So I did get into a lot of fists fights. I had a great time. And it has been that way my whole life, even now I can’t stand bullies, I like to bully bullies.  

• Like 1

Teased but never bullied. I stuttered as a kid and up until just before HS. I was fortunate to excel in sports so that gave me cover . To this day if I have to speak in front of group or meet someone new it’s in the back of my head for the 1st 5-10 seconds 

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

Hmmm 🤔 

Yes I do, if you get bullied come look me up.  

I was teased a fair bit due to my last name, and I will talk to my son/nephews about that. However I was never physically bullied, never got into a fight, etc. I was always on the football/track team though. I probably would have been a pushover in a fight, but just based on size/athletics I think i managed to avoid some bullying.

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I was not the bully, nor was I bullied.  I was the guy people came to when they were bullied. So I did get into a lot of fists fights. I had a great time. And it has been that way my whole life, even now I can’t stand bullies, I like to bully bullies.  

Matthew 5:39, 40

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

Amen

11 minutes ago, weepaws said:

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I was teased a fair bit due to my last name, and I will talk to my son/nephews about that. However I was never physically bullied, never got into a fight, etc. I was always on the football/track team though. I probably would have been a pushover in a fight, but just based on size/athletics I think i managed to avoid some bullying.

To be fair “Mtskibum” is a weird last name.

6 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Matthew 5:39, 40

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

Amen

Amen.  I tell them that I love them , but they can no longer beat up by friends, thank you Jesus.  

1 hour ago, posty said:

Pretty much this. I’m sure I was but I can’t recall many instances, so it must not have been that bad. But for some kids, it was :( 

14 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Is your name Bill Buttlicker? 

A lot, mainly Middle School.   Small town, my uncle was a cop, and he murdered someone on the job.  It died down after a few years and the trial and more details came out.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Close.

ESPN closed my account because my last name contained an offensive slur.

32 minutes ago, weepaws said:

14 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Amen.  I tell them that I love them , but they can no longer beat up by friends, thank you Jesus.  

The biggest kid in middle school punched me hard in the shoulder out of nowhere in the locker room after P.E. I punched him in the face, figuring that was about all I would get in before he demolished me. Instead, it was like I hurt his feelings or something. He asked me why I punched him, and I said :dunno: ... well ... you hit me. He never bothered me again.

The neighborhood kids, including me, got into fights from time to time, but I don't recall anyone bullying each other. We teased each other all the time, though. 

I witnessed a lot of bullying in middle school.

27 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Arthur Analingus

29 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

A lot, mainly Middle School.   Small town, my uncle was a cop, and he murdered someone on the job.  It died down after a few years and the trial and more details came out.  

So kids made fun of you because your uncle is a murderer?

Damn kids can be cruel.

No. I little sports hazing though. A Sr. tried to get me to eat a dog biscuit at the players meeting at football camp cause I got yelled at for taking my helmet off and wiping the sweat off my head. I refused, older friends backed me up.

31 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Amen, and thank you Jesus, the bullies moved on.  Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He brought them out of their distress. 

Oh my soul, Jesus is a awesome God.   Amen. He has caused my storm to be removed  over the few years I’ve been a believer.  

Thank you Jesus.  Now let’s see everyone say Amen.  

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Amen, and thank you Jesus, the bullies moved on.  Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He brought them out of their distress. 

Oh my soul, Jesus is a awesome God.   Amen. He has caused my storm to be removed  over the few years I’ve been a believer.  

Thank you Jesus.  Now let’s see everyone say Amen.  

Watch out, Karma is a b1tch.

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Watch out, Karma is a b1tch.

I don’t believe in karma, I believe in God. Don’t be conformed to this world baker boy.  Look up.  

10 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I don’t believe in karma, I believe in God. Don’t be conformed to this world baker boy.  Look up.  

God doesn't believe in you. For good reason. 

One fat kid called me digger for a few days when he caught me picking my nose.  He stopped once he realized him being a fat ass didn’t mean he was tough. He got taught.

Does my uncle testing out vegetables on me in the grocery store count?

29 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Another time a kid tried to tackle me in flag football.  Next play, he got taught. Focker is a punk cop in my hometown.  

I still live in the city I grew up in. 75% of the cops were picked on in HS

A little bit, but nothing too bad.  I was in a gifted program in grade school, and we were isolated from our classmates until 5th grade, when they started integrating us back in.  You can imagine that around that middle school age, a group of nerds is fresh meat for the general populace.

I wasn't big but I was average sized and a pretty good athlete so I didn't have it too bad, but this dweeb Drew from our class got picked on, and I let my displeasure known by throwing the bully into a tree.  Ends up he had some friends and older brothers who wanted to defend him, and over the next few years I had a few run-ins with that pack.  Nothing too bad or violent, and because I was an athlete I was on sports teams with some of them, so it was somewhat half-hearted, and I was able to defend myself.

I'm pals with them now, on FB and on when I've returned for HS reunions.

Actually now that I think about it, I've been trolling my old friends from HS about the DBacks beating the Phillies (I'm from northeast PA) so some of them might want a piece of me next time they see me. :D 

I punched a guy bullying me in the face. He got a black eye. He told kids at school he got hit in the face by a door knob. But most of them knew the truth.

Fock yes I was. I had a bully named Scott. I focking hated that kid. He went out of his way to do mean that included beating the crap out of me. Knocking my book bag out of my hands. Pushing me into mulberry bushes. Dropped a bookback on my face from a second floor landing at church.  He was sneaky about it all. Everyone else thought he was such a great kid. I knew he was the devil. Not long after we learned to drive he "fell asleep" on the way home from a party. Rolled his suv and was ejected from the windshield into a tree. It was literally the only time in all my life I have ever laughed at someone dying. I felt like a maniac then and still do now a little but I could not help but think "it could not have happened to a bigger " I even went to his funeral and pretended to give a just to make sure he was dead. The sheer happiness I got from seeing that cocksuckker dead was astounding. It was like having a 170lb weight lifted off me. Each year when his death date come up I see people talk about it and I still smile inside. He would have turned out to be a focking monster. Probably a serial killer. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Fock yes I was. I had a bully named Scott. I focking hated that kid. He went out of his way to do mean that included beating the crap out of me. Knocking my book bag out of my hands. Pushing me into mulberry bushes. Dropped a bookback on my face from a second floor landing at church.  He was sneaky about it all. Everyone else thought he was such a great kid. I knew he was the devil. Not long after we learned to drive he "fell asleep" on the way home from a party. Rolled his suv and was ejected from the windshield into a tree. It was literally the only time in all my life I have ever laughed at someone dying. I felt like a maniac then and still do now a little but I could not help but think "it could not have happened to a bigger " I even went to his funeral and pretended to give a just to make sure he was dead. The sheer happiness I got from seeing that cocksuckker dead was astounding. It was like having a 170lb weight lifted off me. Each year when his death date come up I see people talk about it and I still smile inside. He would have turned out to be a focking monster. Probably a serial killer. 

Jesus

I wouldn't have thought most kids have enough attention span to consistently bully someone.