Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Recommend A Documentary

Buried: The 1982 Alpine Meadows Avalanche

🎓🎓🎓🎓

I liked this one, four caps out of five.  Pulled up mostly out of curiosity, and had no specific memory or interest.   I felt the pace was good, they did not linger too long on anything, so the flow made it easy to watch and until 90% through I did not sense it being too slow.  A great mix if actual time-period video and pictures, with current day.  Alot of interviews with people from the time, which was well done. And in the end an almost unexpected twist.

The Impossible

🎓🎓

Two caps out of five for this one.   I pulled this one up because my wife reccomended it, first red flag. 🤨    It was less documentary so much as dramatized movie.  It started fairly well, we get a decent exposure to the characters to orient.  Then right to the event.  The event was disturbing, and likely underscores the actual terror.  Then it went into drama mode, and it slooowwwwedd down alot.  I found myself at points hoping, nearly begging, for it to move along.  When I hit FFWD just to get through some spots my wife objected, so I was forced to sit and watch the paint dry. On the plus side, the undulations  of the story were not entirely predictable and mostly interesting.  If not for Naomi Watts, for whom I have a weakness and gave this one an extra cap, I might have just hid in the bathroom until it finished. 

The Green River Killer

🎓🎓🎓🎓

I liked this one, four caps out of five.  The pace of the presentation was pretty good, they kept it going without dwelling on anything too long.  They has some period stuff in there, and the interviews were solid. And I will divulge something that hopefully encourages you to watch it, the police actually consulted Ted Bundy to catch this guy; Bundy's insights were spot on. It runs a little long, so setting aside time is useful. Much of it you can predict as it unfolds, but there are some interesting surprises.  If you like research around serial killers this is a great one.

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

The Fog of War

Ah, good one, thank you 

HBO made some great documentaries for decades. I’ve recently started watching them again on HBO Max. Check it out. Saw one a while back that was about people who play Donkey Kong for money and tourney games. Funny shiot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RLLD said:

The Green River Killer

🎓🎓🎓🎓

I liked this one, four caps out of five.  The pace of the presentation was pretty good, they kept it going without dwelling on anything too long.  They has some period stuff in there, and the interviews were solid. And I will divulge something that hopefully encourages you to watch it, the police actually consulted Ted Bundy to catch this guy; Bundy's insights were spot on. It runs a little long, so setting aside time is useful. Much of it you can predict as it unfolds, but there are some interesting surprises.  If you like research around serial killers this is a great one.

Yes. The Dahmer one was good, but very creepy in so many ways.

I think all of these are on Netflix, some are tough to watch. 

The Keepers 

Aaron Hernandez doc

The Boeing doc 

The Challenger's last flight 

Our Father (woman gets a DNA test and finds out a doctor was artifically inseminating women with his own stuff, 60 something kids out there) 

My Octopus Teacher

Why Did you Kill Me? 

Don't Fock with Cats 

Trials of Gabriel Fernandez (this one is tough) 

Murder among the Mormons

American Murder: The Family Next Door (this one is good because it's got ALL the social media stuff, you can see what it looked like in real time almost) 

The Murdaugh Murders (This was okay. I waited and waited until he was convicted before I watched, but it was a good one). 

I LOVE documentaries. LOVE. 

• Like 1

Harlan County USA. I caught it on TCM a while back . It’s about a coal miners strike in Kentucky in the 70s. There are some  crazy characters in it

Empire of Dust

Lao Yang and Eddy both work for a company called CREC (Chinese Railway Engineering Company). They have just set up camp near the remote mining town of Kolwezi in the Katanga province of the RDC. The goal of the company is to redo the road, covering 300km, that connects Kolwezi with the capital of the province Lubumbashi. Lao Yang is the head of logistics of the group. He is responsible for the equipment, building materials, and food (mainly chickens) to arrive in the isolated Chinese prefab camp. The Congolese government was supposed to deliver these things but so far the team hasn't received anything. With Eddy (a Congolese man who speaks Mandarin fluently) as an intermediate, Lao Yang is forced to leave the camp and deal with local Congolese entrepreneurs, because without the construction materials, the road works will cease. What follows is an endless, harsh, but absurdly funny roller coaster of negotiations and misunderstandings, as Lao Yan learns about the Congolese way of making deals.

23 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

The Keepers 

Aaron Hernandez doc

The Boeing doc 

Our Father (woman gets a DNA test and finds out a doctor was artifically inseminating women with his own stuff, 60 something kids out there) 

My Octopus Teacher

Why Did you Kill Me? 

Don't Fock with Cats 

Murder among the Mormons

American Murder: The Family Next Door (this one is good because it's got ALL the social media stuff, you can see what it looked like in real time almost) 

The Murdaugh Murders (This was okay. I waited and waited until he was convicted before I watched, but it was a good one). 

And I love YOU.

Also on Netflix:

Exhibit A

Confession Tapes

Only watch if you want to feel like all detectives and all prosecutors are horrible, awful people.  Which they basically are.

Most of the Untold docs are pretty good but my favorite is The Race of the Century about the 1983 America's Cup yacht race.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball was outstanding

BS High if you're in the mood to truly despise someone.  What a pos this guy was.

The Keepers 

Aaron Hernandez doc

The Boeing doc 

My Octopus Teacher

Why Did you Kill Me? 

Don't Fock with Cats 

Murder among the Mormons

Thanks!  I plan to try some of these. 

You need to watch the ESPN E60 Episode:  The Great Imposter and Me

The Battle of Chernobyl

🎓🎓🎓🎓

I am an avid consumer of everything about Chernobyl, not sure what I find it so fascinating.   This one is probably one of my favorites. The recent series on HBO was also really well done. The documentaries do tend to vary as to some key elements, and I think this one has some suspect content.  But it is an easy watch. The pace is nice.  Sometimes the interviews take up too much time.  Worht a watch for sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RLLD said:

The Battle of Chernobyl

🎓🎓🎓🎓

I am an avid consumer of everything about Chernobyl, not sure what I find it so fascinating.   This one is probably one of my favorites. The recent series on HBO was also really well done. The documentaries do tend to vary as to some key elements, and I think this one has some suspect content.  But it is an easy watch. The pace is nice.  Sometimes the interviews take up too much time.  Worht a watch for sure. 

I too am fascinated by the Chernobyl disaster. I'll check this one out. 

The HBO show is one of my favorites, I've actually watched it several times. My favorite part is the trial when he's explaining how it works, along with play by play scenes from the men at the plant. 

The Last Blockbuster was a great one

I'll Be Gone In The Dark is absolutely fascinating

36 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

The HBO show is one of my favorites, I've actually watched it several times. My favorite part is the trial when he's explaining how it works, along with play by play scenes from the men at the plant. 

I opened this thread to post about HBO's Chernobyl.  So good. 

On 11/30/2023 at 5:34 PM, TheNewGirl said:

The Keepers 

Aaron Hernandez doc

The Boeing doc 

My Octopus Teacher

Why Did you Kill Me? 

Don't Fock with Cats 

Murder among the Mormons

My Octopus Teacher 👍

On 11/30/2023 at 5:34 PM, TheNewGirl said:

This documentary was fantastic- especially the way it was done. Because the wife basically lived her whole life online they do the footage through cell phone cameras, security cameras and everything. Also, the narrative of the film is interesting because for a brief moment they make you mildly feel bad for the husband before reminding you- no this guy is a jerkoff who murdered his family- screw him. 

I'll add 2 others for now:

3 1/2 Minutes, 10 Bullets- it's about the shooting of Jordan Davis in Florida in 2012 and does a pretty fair look at all of it and really doesn't judge anyone involved. In a roundabout way it looks at the culture of fear that is out there but even that isn't 100% accurate. Also, they were granted access to the trial which is fascinating.

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane- a "supermom" gets behind the wheel with a huge BAC and marijuana in her system. She then crashes her van head on into an SUV as she was going the wrong way down the Taconic. She kills 8 people including herself, her two kids, three nieces, and 3 guys in the SUV she hit. The documentary deals with the disbelief of her husband and sister in law as they refuse to believe the toxicology reports and can not see this woman they knew as someone who would ever endanger her kids and family like that. It really is an intriguing look at how our memories and thoughts of people can cloud reality laid out in front of us. 

13 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

Ditto. Ive watched the courtroom scene a few times.   Love that scene.

Dont fock with cats is very good

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MDC said:

The King of King . About a guy who has to fight to get his Donkey Kong alltime high score recognized.

Tickled . Deranged movie about blackmail and a tickle ferishist.

Exit Through the Gift Shop . About a street artist named Banksy.

the king of kong?

14 hours ago, Nomad99 said:

My Octopus Teacher 👍

I absolutely loved that one! made me 😭 

Just now, edjr said:

the king of kong?

Yeah sorry. It was great.

Dear Zachary was a “classic” (sorta weird to use that term in relation to such an upsetting doc)

On 12/1/2023 at 4:07 PM, RLLD said:

The Battle of Chernobyl

🎓🎓🎓🎓

Check out some that have out about the Japan tsunami and earthquake in2011. Good watch.

4 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Check out some that have out about the Japan tsunami and earthquake in2011. Good watch.

I have poured over those, as well as the 3-mile island ones and then there is one about a British one called Windscale that is also interesting.

Have you watched Atomic Homefront? Its good....but the pace is a little awkward and there are stretches they need not have included....but generally ok

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, RLLD said:

Buried: The 1982 Alpine Meadows Avalanche

🎓🎓🎓🎓

I liked this one, four caps out of five.  Pulled up mostly out of curiosity, and had no specific memory or interest.   I felt the pace was good, they did not linger too long on anything, so the flow made it easy to watch and until 90% through I did not sense it being too slow.  A great mix if actual time-period video and pictures, with current day.  Alot of interviews with people from the time, which was well done. And in the end an almost unexpected twist.

Searching for Sugarman.  Won a few awards.  Sent the CD as presents to a few of my musical interested friends.  They had nothing but great things to say about this Doc.  About a guy who cut a few albums in the 70s & disappeared.  Some said he committed suicide on stage.  What happened is even better.

5 stars out of 5. 

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

I have poured over those, as well as the 3-mile island ones and then there is one about a British one called Windscale that is also interesting.

Have you watched Atomic Homefront? Its good....but the pace is a little awkward and there are stretches they need not have included....but generally ok

Definitely will look it up. I’m also fascinated by all nuclear documentaries. it started when I saw Jaws at the driv-in and was mesmerized by Quints story about the USS Indianapolis. “ We delivered the bomb.”  They actually didn’t deliver Fat Man or Little Boy. But all of the key parts to have them ready for the inevitable conclusion. 

Also, I just started My Octopus Teacher. Thanks for the suggestion. It looks amazing.🥕🐊🍻

If you like nuclear docs, try Trinity And Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie.

It steps through the proliferation of the bombs we created/tested.  It has a TON of actual explosion footage and the aftermath, set to dramatic music.  Narrated by William Shatner.

Watch it with the sound up to 11.