Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

Just now, joneo said:

Obama did nothing and Trump is most everything possible.  

That seems to be the common theme here.  Somehow I have the problem though. 🙄

The stay at home or shelter in place orders are done by state governors.  Can't put that delay on Trump.  If he'd ordered it a week ago, the democratic governors would have screamed bloody murder and claimed he didn't have the authority.  He's still leaving it up to each state.  

If you wanna blame someone for moving too slow, start with your Gov and state legislators.  There are still only a handful of states with stay at home orders currently.  IMO, they all should have done that a week ago.  The whole world has known the numbers would spike based on what happened in China and Italy.  But, for some reason, US authorities want to remain in denial.  What are they waiting for?

We also have idiots like the Govs of Florida and TX who allowed the Spring Breakers to cavort and party like it's 1999.  Hell, even the Mayors of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale got out in front of that one before the state did anything.  

IMO....this isnt going to work.

So we have this 15 day guide which a week from now is going to show that not much has changed. OK so now you say OK now we need a month and everything shut down. Well a couple things with that....it's going in destroy our economy to go more than about another month if people don't get back to work. Secondly if that doesn't work? Now you're going have a lot of people just say screw it and do their thing. We are not nearly disciplined enough as a country to self quarantine for long. 

I think the elderly and people with chronic conditions that are risk which unfortunately is over half of the country are just going to have to either work from home or self quarantine and stay away from everyone else for a while. Everyone else? You're going to have to just go back to work which you will probably catch this virus and be OK and we're going to have to start moving along again.

Dropping 800 points A-day in the market is just not sustainable from more than realistically a few weeks.

2 hours ago, Strike said:

70%?  I'd like to see her Math. 

1 hour ago, porkbutt said:

this seems like silly talk to me at this point.

Honestly, I have no idea but these are the numbers being thrown around by governors, Prime Ministers etc.  Is it all bullshit?  I don't know what to believe right now.  

6 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

So we have this 15 day guide which a week from now is going to show that not much has changed. OK so now you say OK now we need a month and everything shut down. Well a couple things with that....it's going in destroy our economy to go more than about another month if people don't get back to work. Secondly if that doesn't work? Now you're going have a lot of people just say screw it and do their thing. We are not nearly disciplined enough as a country to self quarantine for long. 

I think the elderly and people with chronic conditions that are risk which unfortunately is over half of the country are just going to have to either work from home or self quarantine and stay away from everyone else for a while. Everyone else? You're going to have to just go back to work which you will probably catch this virus and be OK and we're going to have to start moving along again.

Dropping 800 points A-day in the market is just not sustainable from more than realistically a few weeks.

What about the healthcare workers?  Do we just let them get overwhelmed, sick and compromised as well?  If we can have the same/similar situation as China, where things are tight for 8-9 weeks and then we start to come out of it, I think that is good.  The options to let this run its course will not be good for our people or our economy.  We have two models to follow right now:

- China

- Italy

1 minute ago, fandandy said:

Honestly, I have no idea but these are the numbers being thrown around by governors, Prime Ministers etc.  Is it all bullshit?  I don't know what to believe right now.  

And China, reportedly, has 80k cases with a population of 1.3B.  Weird

10 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

The problem is this affects a large percent of young, healthy people. This is going to have to be sustainable for months and not weeks.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-new-age-analysis-of-risk-confirms-young-adults-not-invincible/

The new data show that up to one-fifth of infected people ages 20-44 have been hospitalized, including 2%-4% who required treatment in an intensive care unit.

21 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

This is exactly my thought.  The country is 92% Han.  I would like to see the Han number of infections.  *tinfoil hat* I bet they were disproportionately unaffected.  

20 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

The problem is this affects a large percent of young, healthy people. This is going to have to be sustainable for months and not weeks.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-new-age-analysis-of-risk-confirms-young-adults-not-invincible/

UP TO 20% needed some form hospitalization.  I’m curious what being hospitalized entails.  Not nitpicking but I’d like to read the fine print.

14 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

China' total number of cases and deaths is almost surely underreported but I believe their actual case count now as accurate. And it's dropping like a rock in Hubei and already low everywhere else.

So a couple of China stories for you today.

1) There were four busloads of workers from Hubei that went to Shanghai for work. They had cleared paperwork from the hospital showing they weren't infected.No refused. Didn't matter. Refused entry and Told to go back.

2) So doctors and nurses and cops from all over China had been flooded into Hubei to help deal with the coronavirus outbreaks. I know Panzhihua sent 20 doctors and nurses in two waves to Hubei and surely a good number of cops too, dunno that number. And these people busted their asses 18 hours a day with no breaks, no days off for weeks.... well, things are quieting down in Hubei and they're returning home now. Or not. Communities are refusing these highly overworked medical personnel who'd been busting their asses for weeks from returning to their homes. Nope. 14 days of quarantine, then you can go home. Seems harsh after what they'd heroically been through but the locals have rules and no exceptions. They are not playing games.

4 minutes ago, fandandy said:

This is exactly my thought.  The country is 92% Han.  I would like to see the Han number of infections.  *tinfoil hat* I bet they were disproportionately unaffected.  

Hubei is 95.6% Han.

I bet Han infection rate is within one standard deviation of 95.6%

34 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What about the healthcare workers?  Do we just let them get overwhelmed, sick and compromised as well?  If we can have the same/similar situation as China, where things are tight for 8-9 weeks and then we start to come out of it, I think that is good.  The options to let this run its course will not be good for our people or our economy.  We have two models to follow right now:

- China

- Italy

Yes.

My wife has to work. Babies dont stop coming. She will probably get this.  But what's left in 2 m months? Unemployment will be in the millions upon millions. Thousands of business will be gone. 

Even if you could say in 2 months this is eradicated (which isnt happening) the country is irreparably harmed for the next decade at least.

8 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Hubei is 95.6% Han.

I bet Han infection rate is within one standard deviation of 95.6%

Why did you have to respond so fast?  I like wearing my hat.  :angry:

2 hours ago, posty said:

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/23/nyt-edits-headline-coronavirus/

NYT Quietly Edits Headline On Failed Coronavirus Deal To Protect Democrats — Twice

The New York Times quietly edited a headline on the coronavirus relief package that stalled in Congress Sunday, twice making adjustments that were more favorable to Democrats.

The original headline read “Democrats Block Action on $1.8 Trillion Stimulus.”

The second version still pointed to Democrats as the reason for the stall, but added their justification. “Democrats Block Action on Stimulus Plan, Seeking Worker Protections.” 

The third headline removed Democrats entirely, saying instead, “Partisan Divide Threatens Deal on Rescue Bill.”

All three of the headline changes, according to those who tracked the evolution, occurred in the space of about an hour.

Democrats reportedly blocked the bill because it did not go far enough with regard to SNAP funding and additional emergency unemployment insurance and paid leave protections for workers. Another bill guaranteeing paid sick leave and expanding unemployment assistance had already passed earlier in the week.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi signaled the move when she announced her intention to stop negotiations with the Senate and present her own coronavirus relief plan.

:doh: Now they want to revisit the Green New Deal

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

China' total number of cases and deaths is almost surely underreported but I believe their actual case count now as accurate. And it's dropping like a rock in Hubei and already low everywhere else.

So a couple of China stories for you today.

1) There were four busloads of workers from Hubei that went to Shanghai for work. They had cleared paperwork from the hospital showing they weren't infected.No refused. Didn't matter. Refused entry and Told to go back.

2) So doctors and nurses and cops from all over China had been flooded into Hubei to help deal with the coronavirus outbreaks. I know Panzhihua sent 20 doctors and nurses in two waves to Hubei and surely a good number of cops too, dunno that number. And these people busted their asses 18 hours a day with no breaks, no days off for weeks.... well, things are quieting down in Hubei and they're returning home now. Or not. Communities are refusing these highly overworked medical personnel who'd been busting their asses for weeks from returning to their homes. Nope. 14 days of quarantine, then you can go home. Seems harsh after what they'd heroically been through but the locals have rules and no exceptions. They are not playing games.

Where are they going to quarantine for 14 days? I'm guessing they aren't being put up at a Four Seasons.

1 hour ago, nzoner said:

:doh: Now they want to revisit the Green New Deal

I mean, what the actual fock is going on right now..... This is disgusting.

5 hours ago, Leeson said:

Where are they going to quarantine for 14 days? I'm guessing they aren't being put up at a Four Seasons.

I was thinking likely a hospital, not the one they left, a one near their house. But this is speculation, I didn't know the real answer so I went downstairs just now to ask my wife while I got breakfast. The story is scrubbed from the internet.

• Thanks 1

Italy is reporting a 0.3% mortality rate among 30 year olds, a 0.6% mortality among 40 year olds, and a 1.5% mortality rate among 50 year olds.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Infografica_23marzo ITA.pdf

Although Italy's total mortality rate is slightly over twice as high as South Korea's 3% mortality rate. This may be because South Korea can use more technology since they are not overwhelmed, or because Italy is missing quite a few mild cases, or some combination of both of those factors.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

Italy is reporting a 0.3% mortality rate among 30 year olds, a 0.6% mortality among 40 year olds, and a 1.5% mortality rate among 50 year olds.

Although Italy's total mortality rate is slightly over twice as high as South Korea's 3% mortality rate. This may be because South Korea can use more technology since they are not overwhelmed, or because Italy is missing quite a few mild cases, or some combination of both of those factors.

something wrong with this numbers or is it just me

3% in South Korea is twice what it is for 50% in Italy

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

They also have the highest average age of all of Europe. 

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

something wrong with this numbers or is it just me

3% in South Korea is twice what it is for 50% in Italy

Italy is reporting an 8% mortality rate and South Korea a 3%.  Italy is reporting numbers slight over twice as high as South Korea's.

2 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

They also have the highest average age of all of Europe. 

Yeah, that is why I wanted to find a break down by age for Italy as per my previous link. I am still unable to find one for South Korea.

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Italy is reporting an 8% mortality rate and South Korea a 3%.  Italy is reporting numbers slight over twice as high as South Korea's.

but they are reporting .3, .6, and 1.5 it still doesnt add up

if 1.5% of 50+ die, and every category is lower, than the highest it could be is 1.5%

6 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

but they are reporting .3, .6, and 1.5 it still doesnt add up

if 1.5% of 50+ die, and every category is lower, than the highest it could be is 1.5%

They are reporting a 23% mortality among 80 year olds and a 16% mortality among 70 year olds, etc.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

They are reporting a 23% mortality among 80 year olds and a 16% mortality among 70 year olds, etc.

ahh ok, I didnt look at your link, I just assumed there were only those 3 categories

sorry

This makes me seem a little less crazy for washing/disinfecting all of my groceries this last weekend.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_w

A high proportion of asymptomatic infections could partially explain the high attack rate among cruise ship passengers and crew. SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted

I've lost track of which thread is which so I'll just post this here.  Darwinism at work:

Valley man dies, wife critical after ingesting chemical in hopes of treating COVID-19

A man has died and his wife was in critical care Monday after the couple ingested a chemical as self-medication for the new coronavirus, Banner Health announced in a press release.

Thecouple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, which is an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks, the press release said. Within 30 minutes of ingestion, they experienced effects that required admittance to a Banner Health hospital, it said.

The incident happened days after a March 19 news conference in which President Donald Trump said chloroquine is being tested as possible a COVID-19 therapy.

They ate aquarium cleaner.  Trump#@!  :mad:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2020/03/23/covid-19-man-dies-wife-hurt-after-self-medicating-chloroquine/2903324001/?utm_source=azcentral-Daily Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing&utm_term=hero

10 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Not all of the consequences of this pandemic are bad.  People are coming together and the super dumb people are weeding themselves out.  

I find Governor Cuomo of NY is doing a great job, I appreciate  his press conferences.  He is in a dogfight in NYC, where it is the worst in the country.  Also, even when he disagrees with the Federal Gov't plan (Trump) he succinctly gives his reason why and just doesn't spout off partisan nonsense.   I know little of his normal persona or politics, but I like the way he is handling this pandemic. 

• Like 1

We should be quarantining New York, esp NYC.  Allowing these people to to leave and travel elsewhere right now is insanity.

7 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I find Governor Cuomo of NY is doing a great job, I appreciate  his press conferences.  He is in a dogfight in NYC, where it is the worst in the country.  Also, even when he disagrees with the Federal Gov't plan (Trump) he succinctly gives his reason why and just doesn't spout off partisan nonsense.   I know little of his normal persona or politics, but I like the way he is handling this pandemic. 

I guess his brother has a show on CNN.  You should check out some of their interviews.  LOL funny.  They just sit there deadpan busting each other's balls.

7 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Just read this article a little while ago- they are repeatedly blaming Trump in the comments.

I'm sorry. If you think it’s a good idea to eat tablets you use to clean your fish tank, you can try to blame anyone you’d like, I just can’t help you. 

7 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

everytime I hear him speak, I keep waiting for a huuuuahhhhh

2 minutes ago, Old School said:

Just read this article a little while ago- they are repeatedly blaming Trump in the comments.

I'm sorry. If you think it’s a good idea to eat tablets you use to clean your fish tank, you can try to blame anyone you’d like, I just can’t help you. 

On places other than here I am Switzerland when it comes to politics.  A Facebook friend of mine (former classmate, 34Bs, also Chinese) has TDS to the TDS power.  I generally just let her rant.  Today she posted about this subject and how irresponsible Trump...  I was || close to telling her that if she blames Trump for idiots eating aquarium cleaner, she should seek help for her TDS although it may be too late.  But I won't.  :)

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

On places other than here I am Switzerland when it comes to politics.  A Facebook friend of mine (former classmate, 34Bs, also Chinese) has TDS to the TDS power.  I generally just let her rant.  Today she posted about this subject and how irresponsible Trump...  I was || close to telling her that if she blames Trump for idiots eating aquarium cleaner, she should seek help for her TDS although it may be too late.  But I won't.  :)

It really is eye opening how quickly people will gobble up the media they consume.  

I mean I knew it was bad..but I guess I just have a hard time accepting how bad it is. Common sense really, on  both sides, gets pushed to the side 

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I guess his brother has a show on CNN.  You should check out some of their interviews.  LOL funny.  They just sit there deadpan busting each other's balls.

I had no idea what Andrew Cuomo was like until stumbling across this video on Twitter two weeks ago. This was when other nations were probably curious what kind of response we'd have, since things were amping up in Europe. Well..😂

It wasn't bad at all. Just quirky and theatrical.

It seems like he's been doing as good a job as possible in this situation. Assuming they weren't, governors should have been briefed with some of the earlier (January) intel on the virus/threat assessment here.

1 hour ago, naomi said:

I had no idea what Andrew Cuomo was like until stumbling across this video on Twitter two weeks ago. This was when other nations were probably curious what kind of response we'd have, since things were amping up in Europe. Well..😂

It wasn't bad at all. Just quirky and theatrical.

It seems like he's been doing as good a job as possible in this situation. Assuming they weren't, governors should have been briefed with some of the earlier (January) intel on the virus/threat assessment here.

Cuomo blows.  I'm amazed at the people on this bored remarking how intelligent he seems.  Will have to follow up on the story regarding a shortage of ventilators in NY and why Cuomo didn't buy them in 2015.