Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

US is the least homogenous or most diverse population in the world and they always expect that we will act uniformly. We can't. Even if we wanted to. Tragedy will always be greater here just like success will always be greater here.

Instead of making a new thread I'll post here in the original.

I wanna say thanks to the geeks for  being on top of this early. This thread was January 21 and got our attention pretty early in the process. No place else I visit online was talking about this and seeing it for what it was and could be.

Because of this group I had almost 2 months to financially prepare and also have 30 n95 masks between my brother and I. My mom owns a little general store and has a lot of health issues. If stuff gets bad and she needs to use those masks you guy may have very well saved her life.

You guys were on top of this from the jump and have given us a chance to be ready. Well done

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

You guys were on top of this from the jump and have given us a chance to be ready. Well done

Mostly due to our front liners. Volty and TBBOM, lets pray we all come out of this better people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Mostly due to our front liners. Volty and TBBOM, lets pray we all come out of this better people. 

Amen!

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

WOW - a siren.  

what exactly is your post supposed to tell us?

In a city of 8.6m people? it probably just means business as usual. 

9 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Do you work for oil or just an energy company?

The electric/gas companies should come out better, everyone will still need AC. Oil companies are focked though

About Half of our business is crude oil transmission and the rest is nat gas transmission. 

General summary of what’s considered essential.  I’m sure it differs by state   

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

Lots of gray area here.  I can’t see how any of this could realistically be enforced.  

My wife works for an IN based plumbing supply company.

They have warehouses, distribution centers, supply stores and bath showrooms in IN, IL and MI.

Plumbers are considered essential, but they can’t do what they do without plumbing supplies. 

Plumbing suppliers need all departments in all locations operating in order to fulfill the needs of plumbers in 3 states. 

It could be argued that the accounting team is as essential to the business as the dist. center and the truck drivers.  

Contractors and home repair personnel are essential.  Ok, so my crews can continue to work, but what about the retail showroom where customers come to buy the products they install?

Who the hell is gonna police all this?  

2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

WOW - a siren.  

what exactly is your post supposed to tell us?

Those are coronavirus ambulances.  Slightly different pitch to the sound.

Re:the sirens - several people say they're hearing more than usual and had been throughout the day (seems particularly Queens area), some say they're not hearing them where they're at, some point out that without a lot of other ambient sound, you just hear the usual amount clearer. There was a bus or busses set on fire last night, so that obviously needs to be added to the mix. 

...I'll stick to hospitalists, people getting their info from them, and local journalists. 

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Instead of making a new thread I'll post here in the original.

I wanna say thanks to the geeks for  being on top of this early. This thread was January 21 and got our attention pretty early in the process. No place else I visit online was talking about this and seeing it for what it was and could be.

Because of this group I had almost 2 months to financially prepare and also have 30 n95 masks between my brother and I. My mom owns a little general store and has a lot of health issues. If stuff gets bad and she needs to use those masks you guy may have very well saved her life.

Just a heads up, if you go the route of wearing N95s you need to make a serious habit of hand washing/hand sanitizing before you put one on, after you put it on, then the same way when taking it off. They are designed for airborne precautions (think tuberculosis) while Corona is droplet. Your biggest risk will be touching the outside of the mask and either transferring droplets to it or from it to your hands. Mahk sure to store them in a bag when not using them to prevent germs from getting on them and from spreading from them. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Just a heads up, if you go the route of wearing N95s you need to make a serious habit of hand washing/hand sanitizing before you put one on, after you put it on, then the same way when taking it off. They are designed for airborne precautions (think tuberculosis) while Corona is droplet. Your biggest risk will be touching the outside of the mask and either transferring droplets to it or from it to your hands. Mahk sure to store them in a bag when not using them to prevent germs from getting on them and from spreading from them. 

Good information.  Is the Covid-19 virus a smaller particulate than what these are designed to protect against?  

Obviously I live around DC. Every plane taking off or landing at Andrews goes over my house. Dulles and Reagan have different patterns. Every helicopter heading north goes over my house. They could be going to Camp David or Fort Detrick.  The helicopter traffic is constant 24 hours a day. The plane traffic is very heavy. Air Force One is very loud, usually preceded by fighters, haven't heard it yet. The choppers though, its at least 50 trips a day where there are usually a handful.

26 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Good information.  Is the Covid-19 virus a smaller particulate than what these are designed to protect against?  

No, more the opposite. Droplets are usually covered by a simple procedure mask as they don't hang in the air very long (thus the risk is more from touching things and then touching your face, your food, etc rather than directly inhaling them from the air). N95s medical wise are used for airborne diseases like TB, where the bacteria doesn't travel a long distance but stays in the surrounding air for longer periods, leading to you inhaling them. Out of an abundance of caution, hospitals and medical workers are being told to use N95s for confirmed cases, but the biggest risk is forgetting that you can spread those droplets onto your mask by touching something contaminated and then touching your mask when you put it on or take it off. Once it is on the mask, you'll then spread it to your fingers when you take the mask off, which is why you want to make sure to sanitize before and after handling it.

ETA: for everything I said above, you obviously want to make sure you don't touch the inside of the mask when putting it on and taking it off (it won't do much good if you spread the germs onto the inside of the mask and then breath with it covering your face).

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 11:55 PM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Let's hope that things don't heat up again once people get back to normal.  When do people go back to work and school?

My wife says all the restaurants are now open and inside seating is available. I don't know if that's just Panzihua. We've not tried this, maybe tomorrow I'll see as I need to go downtown anyway.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:28 AM, vuduchile said:

This has been circulating since Monday.  

Not saying it could never happen, but I’m also not saying Rod Stewart never had his stomach pumped cuz he swallowed too much jizz. 

You're scaring me. I'm pretty sure Rod Stewart likes chicks and never joined the other side.

1 hour ago, naomi said:

Re:the sirens - several people say they're hearing more than usual and had been throughout the day (seems particularly Queens area), some say they're not hearing them where they're at, some point out that without a lot of other ambient sound, you just hear the usual amount clearer. There was a bus or busses set on fire last night, so that obviously needs to be added to the mix. 

...I'll stick to hospitalists, people getting their info from them, and local journalists. 

Or we could avoid anecdotal “evidence” because it is usually shitty. :dunno:

44 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

My wife says all the restaurants are now open and inside seating is available. I don't know if that's just Panzihua. We've not tried this, maybe tomorrow I'll see as I need to go downtown anyway.

My imitation of Volty when someone downtown starts coughing.  

Also, prolly one of my favorite all-time memes.  Whoever created this should be commended.  

Do y’all watch the daily briefings? If not you should.  1.  It’s very informative and 2. It really illustrates why Trump hates certain media.  

Its really interesting to watch the briefings yourself then later read the CNN headline cut and paste job spin they put on it. 

it just cements why Trump is like that. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Do y’all watch the daily briefings? If not you should.  1.  It’s very informative and 2. It really illustrates why Trump hates certain media.  

Its really interesting to watch the briefings yourself then later read the CNN headline cut and paste job spin they put on it. 

it just cements why Trump is like that. 

Why was he like this for the first 70 years of his life? 

• Like 1

Good afternoon and a big Fock you, you fockin chink govt. motherfockers. Die, every fockin one of you except any hot looking chink chicks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fandandy said:

My imitation of Volty when someone downtown starts coughing.  

I'll need to figure out how to eat with my mask on. 

18 minutes ago, MDC said:

Why was he like this for the first 70 years of his life? 

I was speaking to why he is so contentious with certain media outlets.  If you actually watch the briefings you get the full context.  

I think most people, normally, just rely on the media snippets of news.  Normally we are busy with our daily lives and rely on cliff notes versions.

This week while working from home I’ve actually watched these briefings.  The media plays gotcha moments, asks the same questions over and over, spins stuff.  It’s really eye opening.  

If this keeps snowballing and getting worse what are the chances there isn't an election this year 

8 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I was speaking to why he is so contentious with certain media outlets.  If you actually watch the briefings you get the full context.  

I think most people, normally, just rely on the media snippets of news.  Normally we are busy with our daily lives and rely on cliff notes versions.

This week while working from home I’ve actually watched these briefings.  The media plays gotcha moments, asks the same questions over and over, spins stuff.  It’s really eye opening.  

This. It's pretty disgusting, you can also tell it works on the ill-informed.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

If this keeps snowballing and getting worse what are the chances there isn't an election this year 

Talk radio has been saying if that happens then Nancy Pelosi becomes president.

Just now, fandandy said:

Talk radio has been saying if that happens then Nancy Pelosi becomes president.

How's that possible? 

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

How's that possible? 

I don't know if it's factual but what I have heard on talk radio when this is brought up is that since there was no election then there is no president nor vice president so third in line is speaker if the house.  

9 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

The media has always been like this. And so has Trump. Sometimes the media is unfair. Sometimes they’re just asking inconvenient questions. Don can’t tell the difference because he’s a thin skinned baby.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reality said:

HTH

The media isn’t supposed to ask about Trump’s nonstop lies during the pandemic?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDC said:

The media isn’t supposed to ask about Trump’s nonstop lies during the pandemic?

Very odd that your reply came up instantly with a heart. Someone is following you instantly.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Very odd that your reply came up instantly with a heart. Someone is following you instantly.

Three of them did. Someone’s reading the thread or I’m rapidly logging out and back in just to make you think someone gave me fake likes.

Just now, MDC said:

Three of them did. Someone’s reading the thread or I’m rapidly logging out and back in just to make you think someone gave me fake likes.

Nah it has to be same person and they are quick. I looked at your post immediately and it was already loved. You have an admirer.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Nah it has to be same person and they are quick. I looked at your post immediately and it was already loved. You have an admirer.

That happens. I assume it’s Wiffle, Hawkeye, Newbie etc. I get lots of confused and sad faces too. :thumbsup: 

18 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I don't know if it's factual but what I have heard on talk radio when this is brought up is that since there was no election then there is no president nor vice president so third in line is speaker if the house.  

I think he'd call martial law before he would let Pelosi be president 

On 3/18/2020 at 9:25 AM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

My mother called me on Monday with the same warning.  She said that the sister of the ex-husband of her sister, who works at the Pentagon, told her it was going to happen that night.  She then said my brother told her that one of the 2 bridges to Cape Cod was already shut down.  So, I sent here a picture of Google to say the bridges were both open and that her sister is a lunatic.  We talked last night again and I told her to stop listing to people who "know" something.  It is all bullshit.  

Why are people saying they know someone in the pentagon? I don't get that part of this.... 

22 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Isn't Pelosi up for reelection?  So she's in the same boat.