Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

Just now, drobeski said:

Yes and the mortality rate ? 

So far 66 dead, and 510 recovered. So i think the jury is still out on that one.
What does the media say?   Help us out...

Cases in New York spike over night.  Probably due to expanded testing in the area.

“In this study, we investigated the receptor usage of the SL-CoVS by combining a human immunodeficiency virus-based pseudo virus system with cell lines expressing the ACE2 molecules of human”.

ELI 5:SL-CoVS (= SARs) + human immunodeficiency virus (= HIV) {see sequencing in figure 1 on page 1901}; SARs + HIV = Coronavirus. Coincidentally, the same exact virus Wuhan manufactured in a lab 13 years ago is infecting thousands of people today...

https://jvi.asm.org/content/82/4/1899

I mean, we have been wanting a new plague. Now that we got it y’all don’t want it :lol:

59 minutes ago, nobody said:

I'm confident there won't be millions of people dying. 

I'd set the upper bound at about 1 million worldwide with the more likely scenario being about 150k dying worldwide.  The measures that people are going to will limit deaths.  It'll fock up the economy good and proper, but it'll limit the death toll.

If we did nothing?  Yes, I could see us breaching a million.

Thinking more worldwide deaths than that but not astoundingly more. Probably a decent lower end ballpark there.

Agreed overall :thumbsup:

I am watching the trump press conference. So far so good, he takes many additional steps in the right direction.

The only two things that were missing were I would like him to recommend a nation wide school shutdown and slightly less restrictive testing. Hopefully they can get to that quickly.

The DJIA seems to agree, it went up the entire portion of his speech which is a stark contrast to what was happening to the futures on his previous speech. It is currently up 2%(edit 3%) from the beginning of his speech.

This is what the people and market wants. We want medical actions, not rate cuts and payroll tax cuts.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

Holy crap, Go trump go, I am curious how much oil they will purchase.

What did he do?

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

What did he do?

They are going to fill the national oil reserve from domestic producers.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

They are going to fill the national oil reserve from domestic producers.

That doesn't really mean anything to me. Why is that important and what did they do previously?

14 minutes ago, Intense Observer said:

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

Good data and comparison of coronavirus to other pandemics.

Tldr: we're not all going to die, but the media hopes we do

Please don't bring science and data into this.  The party of science has dictated this to be a hysteria event.

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

That doesn't really mean anything to me. Why is that important and what did they do previously?

Trump sold off a vast quantity when the price was higher to help fund some of the tax cuts, now he is filling it back up when Saudi and Russia have a price war and the domestic producers are facing imminent issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

all it means is demand is low and there is a supply backup hahaha

Just now, Intense Observer said:

Dow up nearly 1000 points since Trump began talking.

+2000 for the day

I am watching his speech. He is up to a 3 run homer, almost a grand slam. Hard to imagine this is the same person that give the same speech a couple nights ago.

Other than Trump not being a great script reader, this conference was better than expected.

Removed regulations that slowed down fed gov ability to respond.

Partner with private companies to get information and test kits out.

500,000 test kits available nationwide Monday.

5 million test kits available in 30 days.

4 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I know he lucked into it, but I will take it, buy low/sell high.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am watching his speech. He is up to a 3 run homer, almost a grand slam. Hard to imagine this is the same person that give the same speech a couple nights ago.

He is a much better rah rah speaker than an X's and O's speaker. They both have a time and place.

Obviously a pandemic panic is not the rah rah time.

15 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

That’s all?  I hope you are being facetious..

This is all so stupid! Isolate the old and the weak and let everyone else live their normal lives. Their chance of dying from this is very small. Most of the people that need protection are the least productive members of our society so life goes on as normal. We don’t have to stop the world. 

My only complaint is Trump's response to whether or not he should self-quarantine since he was possibly exposed; his answer is that he doesn't have any symptoms.  That's a digby-level response.  Otherwise this public/private partnership is a great message.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

My only complaint is Trump's response to whether or not he should self-quarantine since he was possibly exposed; his answer is that he doesn't have any symptoms.  That's a digby-level response.  Otherwise this public/private partnership is a great message.  :thumbsup:

LOL digby level response

• Haha 1

On a happier note, this latest fat woman notwithstanding, this is quite possibly the best looking collection of international female reporters I've ever seen.  That Brazilian woman in the beginning in the red dress was :wub: and for the most part it is going strong.  :banana:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

On a happier note, this latest fat woman notwithstanding, this is quite possibly the best looking collection of international female reporters I've ever seen.  That Brazilian woman in the beginning in the red dress was :wub: and for the most part it is going strong.  :banana:

I love green

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

I mean, we have been wanting a new plague. Now that we got it y’all don’t want it :lol:

The sad part is after this over, you'll claim you were right conveniently ignoring all the measures that were taken to curb the spread.

He failed with dealing with the quarantine talk, he should admit he setting a bad example.

41 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Trump sold off a vast quantity when the price was higher to help fund some of the tax cuts, now he is filling it back up when Saudi and Russia have a price war and the domestic producers are facing imminent issues.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, nobody said:

The sad part is after this over, you'll claim you were right conveniently ignoring all the measures that were taken to curb the spread.

Not really. If I’m wrong I’ll admit it. Done so on a few occasions 

18 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

He failed with dealing with the quarantine talk, he should admit he setting a bad example.

They should have set up a separate mike for him.  That would have been a strong message. 

I also didn't like all of the handshaking and mike adjusting (one guy did an elbow, I was waiting for that).  

2 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

"We?"  Who's "we"?

You sound like  you hang out for beers after work with Thanos.

6 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

"We?"  Who's "we"?

You sound like  you hang out for beers after work with Thanos.

We as in the general population. Used to see things like “we have too many people. We need a new plague”. Not seeing it as much now 

I’d love a new plague to cleanse the east side of the world, would be a huge breath of fresh air for the planet as a whole. Just shave a few billion from China and India they would barely notice. A deadly sickness like Ebola kills so fast that it’s easier to contain than this thing that just gives you a slightly worse flu but takes 14 days to show itself. 

Seeing some chatter that Google is not creating a coronavirus website. This can't be true. How/why would Trump say this on camera? Did he think Google wouldn't find out. 

Someone is lying. 

My daughter’s school just closed until April 20.  A 7 year old, 1 year old, my stay at home wife, and me working from home.  No sports to watch or bet on...

we are going to kill each other.

1 minute ago, Big Blue 06 said:

My daughter’s school just closed until April 20.  A 7 year old, 1 year old, my stay at home wife, and me working from home.  No sports to watch or bet on...

Ts & Ps. 

Be thankful though. Can you imagine if this happened when we were kids?  No streaming, daytime TV wasteland, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Big Blue 06 said:

Celebrate 420. :dunno: