IGotWorms

Is Subway’s tuna fish…. tuna fish?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/06/19/style/subway-tuna-sandwich-lawsuit.amp.html

Canned tuna is high in protein, low in fat and by far the most popular shelf-stable seafood in the United States.

It can also be mysterious, questionable and scandalous. As The Washington Post reported in late January, Subway — the world’s largest sandwich chain — is currently facing a class-action lawsuit in the state of California that claims its tuna sandwiches “are completely bereft of tuna as an ingredient.”

After the news broke, the jokes swiftly followed. Jessica Simpson (who famously didn’t knowwhether Chicken of the Sea was chicken or tuna back in 2003) tweeted: “It’s OK @SUBWAY. It IS confusing.” Jimmy John’s, a competitor, started sending email blasts with subjects like: “Tuna 👏 Sandwiches 👏 Should 👏 Use 👏 Real 👏 Tuna 👏.”

Subway, for its part, has categorically denied the allegations. “There simply is no truth to the allegations in the complaint that was filed in California,” a spokeswoman wrote in an email to The New York Times. “Subway delivers 100 percent cooked tuna to its restaurants, which is mixed with mayonnaise and used in freshly made sandwiches, wraps and salads that are served to and enjoyed by our guests.”

Finally, after more than a month of waiting, the lab results arrived.

“No amplifiable tuna DNA was present in the sample and so we obtained no amplification products from the DNA,” the email read. “Therefore, we cannot identify the species.”

The spokesman from the lab offered a bit of analysis. “There’s two conclusions,” he said. “One, it’s so heavily processed that whatever we could pull out, we couldn’t make an identification. Or we got some and there’s just nothing there that’s tuna.” (Subway declined to comment on the lab results.)

To be fair, when Inside Edition sent samplesfrom three Subway locations in Queens out for testing earlier this year, the lab found that the specimens were, indeed, tuna.

its a WaPo article, a liberal rag.  Not surprising they try to stir up controversy for eyeballs and then say "it tested as tuna" at the end.  Typical attempt to try to find a hotbutton issue to sell papers.  Pathetic.

• Sad 1

It's Subway, I can believe it.  They failed so drastically in NJ a while back that they left the state completely.  They tried to make a comeback, but failed again.  In South Jersey, you can't find a stand along Subway anywhere.  The ONLY place they exist is a substantially reduced store inside Wal-Mart... sometimes.  Meanwhile, every town down here has at least one or two Italian deli's.  Need more Jewish deli's down here though.

31 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

its a WaPo article, a liberal rag.  Not surprising they try to stir up controversy for eyeballs and then say "it tested as tuna" at the end.  Typical attempt to try to find a hotbutton issue to sell papers.  Pathetic.

Good lord you’re dumb. It’s the NYTimes, not WaPo, and they said the test found no tuna at all (but recognized that other tests differed)

:doh:

Subway kills it here in Texas. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area alone, there's a Subway damn near every turn. 

I don't mind them, certainly not the best. I prefer Jersey Mike's and Firehouse over them for sure - but will eat occasionally. 

I’ll eat it but not the tuna fish. Usually go for the turkey breast or spicy Italian, every now and then I’ll risk the meatball though lord only knows what they put in those :lol:

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Good lord you’re dumb. It’s the NYTimes, not WaPo, and they said the test found no tuna at all (but recognized that other tests differed)

:doh:

Yeah, it's one disgraced liberal rag instead of another disgraced liberal rag. 

🤣

• Sad 1

https://www.today.com/food/nyt-report-no-amplifiable-tuna-dna-subway-tuna-sandwiches-t223534

The results showed there was “no amplifiable tuna DNA” in the samples, according to the Times, which said this means the lab was unable to identify any five tuna species it tested for. The Food and Drug Administration lists 15 species of fish that can be labeled tuna, the paper reported.

As the Times noted, when tuna is cooked, its DNA becomes denatured, which means the structure of the protein is changed and thus the test results can be inaccurate.

The Times said that before the test, the lab had been “wary about the challenges of identifying a fish that’s been cooked at least once, mixed with mayo, frozen and shipped across the country.”

Much ado about nothing.

I get a 12-inch chicken bacon ranch from Subway a couple times a week cause my doctor said I’m legally obese due to my glandular condition so I eat fresh.

12 minutes ago, t.j. booker said:

I get a 12-inch chicken bacon ranch from Subway a couple times a week cause my doctor said I’m legally obese due to my glandular condition so I eat fresh.

What does Gloria get?

24 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

What does Gloria get?

Let me guess black forest ham.

Foot long. :cry: 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Let me guess black forest ham.

Foot long. :cry: 

I just gave her a 6in white, extra meat.

46 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

What does Gloria get?

The Asian special

Damn, I miss Subway. They're the best fast food place that found their way to China. There were a handful of Subways in Chengdu, the second time I lived there 2011-2, we had one not terribly far from my house that I'd go to once a week. 

There are none near here, the nearest one now is a four hour drive away in Kunming.

5 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I’ll eat it but not the tuna fish. Usually go for the turkey breast or spicy Italian, every now and then I’ll risk the meatball though lord only knows what they put in those :lol:

Ever try that compressed chicken breast thingy?  Yikes.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Damn, I miss Subway. They're the best fast food place that found their way to China. There were a handful of Subways in Chengdu, the second time I lived there 2011-2, we had one not terribly far from my house that I'd go to once a week. 

There are none near here, the nearest one now is a four hour drive away in Kunming.

We had one near my house in zhengzhou,  but I never ate there because the sanitation was... severely lacking.

Never seen one in shenzhen.

Last time I ate at a subway was in Singapore just before covid. I forgot how much subway sucks.

Now the Popeyes in the Kuala Lumpur airport... I actually had them bake a tray of fresh biscuits and bought them all. God I miss biscuits. 

I don’t eat Subway but this really hits home that fast food is really crap. 

I hope everyone knows that NONE of the meat sold at Subway is as advertised.  You couldn't possible stock that many stores with the real thing.  

I am not poor, I do not eat at Subway

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Ever try that compressed chicken breast thingy?  Yikes.

I believe I made that mistake ONCE

Jared raped my daughter. 

I wish that was true. I’d be a millionaire. 

I don’t have daughters- Thanks the Lords

New York (CNN Business)After years of declining sales, Subway is hoping to reintroduce itself to customers and convince them to give its sandwiches a shot. 

Next week, Subway restaurants across the country will unveil an updated menu designed to improve items across the board. The chain says the move is the biggest menu change in its history. 
The revamp includes new recipes for the chain's Italian and multigrain breads, as well as new sandwich toppings. 
The chain is also tweaking items already on the menu. Subway's bacon, for example, will now be hickory-smoked, and its turkey and ham sliced more thinly. It's also bringing back past items like rotisserie-style chicken and roast beef. To encourage customers to try the new ingredients, thousands of restaurants plan to give away up to one million free sandwiches between 10 AM and 12 PM on July 13. The chain is also updating the look of its app and partnering with DoorDash to let customers order delivery directly from the Subway app. 

Some shoppers once considered Subway to be an affordable, relatively healthy option — they could load their sandwiches with their preferred mix of veggies and protein without breaking the bank. But in recent years, competition in the fast casual space has helped edge Subway out.

Nope. That filthy skank Rapinoe is a spokesperson. Go to hell. Not that I ate that crap anyway. I live in NY. We have real Delis.