Sign in to follow this  
BiPolarBear

FB Friends and Family You Kept or Deleted over Politics

Do you fraternize with people from the "other" political party by choice? Did you just can everybody in the other camp on FB? 

The Ditched

I ditched a couple of rabid Trump supporters. One guy blamed school teachers after a school shooting, saying a teacher should have taken the young man under his or her wing, and put the young man on a good path; and keeping the incident from happening. I thought the concept was asinine and have an 8th grade teacher for a daughter; he got "sent to the cornfield", if anybody gets the Twilight Zone reference. The other guy floated lots of made up quotes from "history" and posted Russian FB . He is also my cousin. Ditched. 

Keepers

My High School girlfriend - has stuck with me as a friend for decades. I can't ignore that kind of loyalty. She is also Jewish and sends Trump money. 

A friend from Surfer Magazine Days - The place was a real family, and lots of us hung out together after work. Me and this lady have stayed in touch ever sense. She posted some weird stuff (to me, I'm sure it lives on as someone truth)

Guitar player from my band - I used to carry a paper that said he got all my musical equipment if I passed. Played on stage (bars) for 12 years with the guy. He posted all kinds of pictures of Obama in ridiculous clothes and was a birther. We have been thru too much, in my view, to make a hasty move. 

Can anybody relate?

Had a friend from college who was a hardcore Trumper. I didn’t care about his political leanings but deleted him when he started making racist comments. 

I have many conservative friends and family, don’t care and don’t talk politics with them.

Im also almost never on FB.

• Like 1

I rarely defriend..usually only over egregious missteps.  If someone is excessive in some manor, i just ignore them or those type of posts.

I’ve never understood dumping people over politics. I’ve got close friends and family who love Trump; needless to say I don’t. So what? They’re good people and hopefully they think the same of me. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I’ve never understood dumping people over politics. I’ve got close friends and family who love Trump; needless to say I don’t. So what? They’re good people and hopefully they think the same of me. 

I get along great with a couple who are both Trumpers. They are both very nice to me. We do not talk politics. 

• Like 1

My FB friends aren't very political, or maybe I just don't get fed such posts because I never do anything political there.  As I've said before, FB is a platform for me to show you how my kids are better than your kids. :D 

Probably the worst is a niece of mine who, while 30 and married with a kid, is like a caricature of a teenage Tumblr white apologist zombie.  She lives in Germany with her German husband and occasionally goes off about how terrible XXX is in America.  I just laugh and think about how less inclusive Germany is to non-Germans.

In general it seems I see more anti-conservative stuff than anti-liberal, but that could be my bias/perception.

• Haha 1

I don't block anyone. I lost a good friend who would do long-distance relay races with. Met him on FGB. He bought into the liberal everyone is a nazi especially Trump supporters so he no longer talks to me. I tried reaching out a few times but no luck.

• Like 1

It would be immature to allow politics to dictate your relationships.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I don't block anyone. I lost a good friend who would do long-distance relay races with. Met him on FGB. He bought into the liberal everyone is a nazi especially Trump supporters so he no longer talks to me. I tried reaching out a few times but no luck.

That's all you can do. 

34 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Don't have a Facebook 

Proper response. 

I hear grandparents enjoy it.

• Haha 1

Hardly ever use facebook now but when I did...I didn't delete anyone or anything like that.   However I did turn off their posts.  My ex HS girlfriend posted political stuff constantly....It was annoying.  I always hated politics on facebook so I would block those feeds whenever I could.

I only accept friend invites to be polite. The first thing I do after accepting it, is unfollow them so that I never see their posts.  I never post on there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Do you fraternize with people from the "other" political party by choice? Did you just can everybody in the other camp on FB? 

The Ditched

I ditched a couple of rabid Trump supporters. One guy blamed school teachers after a school shooting, saying a teacher should have taken the young man under his or her wing, and put the young man on a good path; and keeping the incident from happening. I thought the concept was asinine and have an 8th grade teacher for a daughter; he got "sent to the cornfield", if anybody gets the Twilight Zone reference. The other guy floated lots of made up quotes from "history" and posted Russian FB . He is also my cousin. Ditched. 

Keepers

My High School girlfriend - has stuck with me as a friend for decades. I can't ignore that kind of loyalty. She is also Jewish and sends Trump money. 

A friend from Surfer Magazine Days - The place was a real family, and lots of us hung out together after work. Me and this lady have stayed in touch ever sense. She posted some weird stuff (to me, I'm sure it lives on as someone truth)

Guitar player from my band - I used to carry a paper that said he got all my musical equipment if I passed. Played on stage (bars) for 12 years with the guy. He posted all kinds of pictures of Obama in ridiculous clothes and was a birther. We have been thru too much, in my view, to make a hasty move. 

Can anybody relate?

I’ve noticed the only people that unfriend people and stop talking to old friends are liberals. People from the right don’t give a Sh1t about politics like that. Yet another reason why the left are nothing but morons. Only those retards would lose friends over politics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

It would be immature to allow politics to dictate your relationships.

That’s leftists like gutterfag. It’s literally only the leftists that do stuff like this. Of course, they’re insufferable and tend to be horrible people

I’m not on any social media where I have “friends”, if you will.  SM is a double edged sword.  It’s great with keeping up with people, but society in general has degraded now that we know so much about each other.  Life was better when you didn’t know as much and greater attempts were made to find common ground.  

• Like 1

Facebook is for douche bags.

Real life friends with all types of political affiliations.  You can learn a lot from people that have different viewpoints than you, as long as they're not retarded childish ass holes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Facebook is for douche bags.

Real life friends with all types of political affiliations.  You can learn a lot from people that have different viewpoints than you, as long as they're not retarded childish ass holes.

so you post on facebook every day?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I’m not on any social media where I have “friends”, if you will.  SM is a double edged sword.  It’s great with keeping up with people, but society in general has degraded now that we know so much about each other.  Life was better when you didn’t know as much and greater attempts were made to find common ground.  

in the old days, people were complete diicks to each other face to face.  theyd either settle it with a pistol duel (even a former president did that) or just pack everything up quietly in the night and move to another town or state.  instead of divorce, a man or women might move 5 states away and change their name.  could never be found.  this kinda happens today still, but with dogs or cats.  people pack up in the night and leave the family behind forever.  they used to do it with kids too until we started tracking.

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

so you post on facebook every day?

Good one, comrade.  Jerk off to any ICBMs today? 

I don't delete or "unfriend" anyone due to political posting. That said, I unfollow people all the time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

The Ditched

Keepers

Can anybody relate?

Nope 

I've deleted people on FB, but not bcoz I disagreed with their politics. 

I deleted them (and told them so) bcoz they filled up my feed with political rants - 24/7 that's all they posted and I got sick of it. I told them I knew them and accepted their friend request bcoz of our relationship with one another, not bcoz of their politics. Told them if they wanted to post that crap all day long, to start a blog. 

12 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Was he a Charvel, Gibson, or Fender guy?  Mebba a Charvel by Jackson ? 

As far as your real post, I get what you're saying. True frineds we can never leave no matter how fukked up they might be on certain issues. :thumbsup:

Ibanez, mebbe? 

10 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

As far as your real post, I get what you're saying. True frineds we can never leave no matter how fukked up they might be on certain issues. :thumbsup:

Ibanez, mebbe? 

Aren't Charvel guitars basically the same guitars as Fender? They look, play and sound the same. Also, Paul Reed Smith guitars are incredible. Also, I wouldn't unfriend someone over politics, but I would for having sh1tty taste in music.

14 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I've deleted people on FB, but not bcoz I disagreed with their politics. 

I deleted them (and told them so) bcoz they filled up my feed with political rants - 24/7 that's all they posted and I got sick of it. I told them I knew them and accepted their friend request bcoz of our relationship with one another, not bcoz of their politics. Told them if they wanted to post that crap all day long, to start a blog. 

This right here is acceptable. I’ll do that or put them on “30 day ignore” 

I don't do FB. As for real life friends, I once kicked someone out of the circle for using Top Flite golf balls so you better believe if we discovered any closet democrats or homos within the ranks they would be gone too. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

I don't do FB. As for real life friends, I once kicked someone out of the circle for using Top Flite golf balls so you better believe if we discovered any closet democrats or homos within the ranks they would be gone too. 

You gotta be cruel to be kind sometimes. In the right measure.  

None. 

I am sure if a few of my friends found out how I *really* felt about things they'd defriend/dump me. But I wouldn't do that to them. 

• Like 1

All. Fawk fawk book. Haven’t been on I four years. Haven’t missed anything. 

On 5/31/2023 at 11:57 AM, Cdub100 said:

Carbon copy for me. One of my closest childhood friends leading up to the 2020 election. "anyone who would even consider voting for Donald Trump is a Nazi"

Also stated things about mutual friends that can never be forgiven. All because they agreed with 'some' of Trumps policies & own guns.

I’ve been getting a kick lately about leftards yapping about how educated their young folk are. Kids in Baltimore can’t read. Lol.  They are so smart they took out student loans that they don’t make enough to pay back. Lol. 

8 hours ago, BillyKing said:

This right here is acceptable. I’ll do that or put them on “30 day ignore” 

People I grew up with, known for 50 years, who've never once ever mentioned politics when together - all of the sudden want to post politics and blow up my feed 24/7. 

Then get upset when I block them. :doh:

11 hours ago, paulinstl said:

Aren't Charvel guitars basically the same guitars as Fender? They look, play and sound the same. Also, Paul Reed Smith guitars are incredible. Also, I wouldn't unfriend someone over politics, but I would for having sh1tty taste in music.

Great read for any guitar fan about the history to now about Charvel :thumbsup:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/charvel-guitars-built-speed

From the above link...

Wayne opened Charvel’s Guitar Repair in 1974 in the Southern California town of Azusa. There, he continued to take on work from Fender, sell aftermarket parts and offer some custom services to the public. One noteworthy player who wandered into Charvel’s shop in the early Seventies was a young hotshot named Eddie Van Halen.

“Eddie came by the shop a lot and sometimes would sit on the floor and play the guitar while we repaired some of his other guitars,” Charvel recalls. “One day, Eddie came over to the shop and asked if I had an extra body and neck. I told him that I had an extra Boogie Body neck and an old body in my shop. I gave Ed the parts, and the next time I saw the guitar he had used a spray can to paint it white with black stripes. He used nails to hold the pickup in the body.”

This was the first of Eddie’s fabled “Frankenstein” guitars, as was featured prominently on Van Halen, the self-titled debut from Ed’s group. It eventually served as the template for the Grover Jackson–built black-and-yellow-striped Charvel superstrat that Ed can be seen holding on Van Halen II. Though Wayne couldn’t have imagined it at the time, his shop’s association with the guitarist would springboard Charvel’s success within a few years.

I’ve been off FB for about 10 years now.  Before I left, I’d defriended almost everyone simply because ALL they ever posted was politics.  By the time I left I only had about 10 people left.

On 5/31/2023 at 11:08 PM, SUXBNME said:

Ibanez, mebbe? 

You know your guitars, and got three hits out of four guesses. 

Fender Pre-CBS Jazzmaster, purchased from me for $300. 

Gibson Les Paul Custom in the black "tuxedo" finish.

Ibanez hollow body jazz box, with the action set up for slide, and tuned to an open E. Used on one song a night. 

The Carvel is usually for shredders, but I have considered owning one before, because of the stability. Charvel may be owned by Fender now. We played songs by Los Lobos, X, The Squeeze, Elvis Costello, Chuck Berry, Stones, etc. Also about 20% originals. 

14 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’ve been getting a kick lately about leftards yapping about how educated their young folk are. Kids in Baltimore can’t read. Lol.  They are so smart they took out student loans that they don’t make enough to pay back. Lol. 

lololol

Yet dems are much much better educated than barely high school graduated conservatives.

And the lifetime earnings of a college grad (liberal) vs barely finished high school (conservatives) is miles apart boyo.

But keep screeching about the couple of bad areas in liberal utopias while ignoring the hell on earth, dying rural areas dominated by MAGAtards.

i have one friend that isn't so much left or right but is someone that almost fully and completely trusts the system.  so if credientialed republicans are running the system then he's fine with it and wont listen to criticism.  but hes also the same way if credentialed democrats are running the system.  he's more like "they are doing the best they can" and struggles with the concept that corruption exists, unless there is a clarion call from all the credentialed people that one person is corrupt.  in short, hes very naive.  i think hes voted clinton, clinton, bush. bush, obama, obama, trump, biden.  it can be hard to discuss politics with him because of the naivety.  but i keep him for sure.

• Thanks 1