Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Prostate Cancer

My dad was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 Prostate Cancer, that has metastasized into his spine. Im not sure how long he has, or what sort of treatment he is doing, because he doesnt really want to talk about it. Hes a pretty stubborn and prideful man. Doesnt want to burden us with his problems. Im having a hard time dealing with the news, and fell off the wagon. Havent talked to anybody besides my wife, so I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Ive been searching all over the internet for the last couple weeks. Trying to find information on alternative treatments or other information that might help him. Ive read that patients can live up to 4-6 years with proper treatment, depending on age, type of cancer, aggressiveness, etc.

Have any of you or your parents had prostate cancer?

Geek doctors?

Get back on the wagon bud. If you quit because you have a problem, you need to stay on that wagon. I hope you find some positive info and get good news

• Like 1

Damn Mobb. Sorry to hear man.

I cannot offer much information other than this place is a good place to get stuff off your chest, so I'm glad you can do that here.

Most older people like our parents age are stubborn and prideful. Maybe Penultimatestraw can help here.....

Good Luck Sir

very sorry mobb. my thoughts

:(

very sorry mobb. my thoughts

No prayers? :mad:

WTF is wrong with you!

Sorry to hear man,stubborn or not just be there for him,went through this with mama nzoner a few years ago( colon cancer).

• Like 1

My dad had it (stupid Agent Orange). Fortunately they caught it rather early before anything spread. He had to have it completely removed.

Sorry to hear

Was he a veteran of Vietnam by chance?

Sorry to hear Mobb. That sucks. If you're in Arkansas the hotel I'm staying at has free happy hour drinks from 5:30 - 7:30 each night. Come on down after work and we can get off the wagon together.

Bummer. May I ask how old he is?

My dad had it (stupid Agent Orange). Fortunately they caught it rather early before anything spread. He had to have it completely removed.

Sorry to hear

Was he a veteran of Vietnam by chance?

No. Hes just lived a pretty unhealthy life. Like me, hes battled drugs and alcoholism his entire life. Hes very overweight and has dealt with health problems the last decade. Bladder cancer, heart problems, early onset dementia, etc.

Im taking him to his doctors appointment next Tuesday, so hopefully Ill get a clearer picture. Hes not really responding to texts or answering his phone (which is normal to begin with).

ETA: @ NV hes 71.

My dad had it, he passed away exactly 16 years ago to this day. He was 59..

Sorry to hear :(

Like me, hes battled drugs and alcoholism his entire life.

We should party sometime :cheers:

My Dad has had it for a few years now. Sorry to hear, wish you and him the best. You're a good guy Mobb, get back on that wagon. No shame in falling off, can't blame you, but don't let this bring you down too.

For the record, Ive never done H. Thats just gross!

Agreed. It's nasty nasty stuff. Kids are stupid, I was lucky

My Dad has had it for a few years now. Sorry to hear, wish you and him the best. You're a good guy Mobb, get back on that wagon. No shame in falling off, can't blame you, but don't let this bring you down too.

Thanks bud. Im actually drunk right now haha. Called out to work and drank all morning. Probably why I posted this.

Glad your dad has been going strong for a few years. My wife said a friend of hers father was told he would only live 6-12 months, but hes still doing pretty good 6 years later.

No prayers? :mad:

WTF is wrong with you!

i am not religious, but he still has my well wishes.

Well said, I echo these thoughts.

:thumbsup:

My dad had it but got that robotic surgery to have to cut out. Thats been a while back. Sorry to hear man

Get back on the wagon bud. If you quit because you have a problem, you need to stay on that wagon. I hope you find some positive info and get good news

Agreed

Thanks bud. Im actually drunk right now haha. Called out to work and drank all morning. Probably why I posted this.

Glad your dad has been going strong for a few years. My wife said a friend of hers father was told he would only live 6-12 months, but hes still doing pretty good 6 years later.

If you don't have someone to talk to, I suggest you find a counselor to help you through this, it can't be easy. :thumbsup:

I find drinking boring. it puts me to sleep. Mix in some adderall

Sorry to hear the news Mobb.

In general, metastatic cancer prognosis isn't great, but prostate can be pretty slow-growing relative to other tumors. Sounds like your dad has Stage IVB, for which the five year survival rate is 29%. Current standard of care is anti androgen therapy (surgically remove the testicles and/or anti-hormone pills, which counteract the effects of testosterone and its metabolites) + chemo. If dad wants to maintain his sexual function he may opt against the surgery, though the pills blunt libido/sexual function as well. The main chemo drug is docetaxel, which is pretty well tolerated, but causes low blood counts, fatigue, diarrhea and nerve pain, among other potential side effects. Theres also a newer drug called abiraterone which looks to be at least as effective as docetaxel, but may not be as good for men over 70. The combo of androgen deprivation therapy + chemo extends life for 13-15 months relative to no treatment. Finally, depending on how bad his mets are, he may need radiation or surgery to manage his pain and stabilize the spine.

If dad has other medical problems, it may limit his treatment options. Don't waste his time/$ with alternative therapies, which have no proven benefit. And make sure he creates an advance directive now, as it is much harder to make end-of-life decisions the sicker one gets.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

• Like 1

My dad had it, he passed away exactly 16 years ago to this day. He was 59..

Sorry to hear :(

My wife died of cancer exactly 17 years ago today. Weird conincedence.

Sorry to hear aboyt your Dad mobb.

My wife died of cancer exactly 17 years ago today. Weird conincedence.

Sorry to hear aboyt your Dad mobb.

:( i didn't know your history. sorry you went through that.

sorry to hear bro

its what killed my dad and initially got me into the medical cannabis field.

his metastasized into his bladder and bones, died after battling it for 3 years on the 2nd bout. Caught it early enough the first time that he was clean for over 10 years, and then it came back with a vengeance, like Drizzay my dad was in Nam (Agent Orange).

the 2nd time there was no treating it, but thats when we started researching Rick Simpson Oil and started him on that. He took nothing but Cannabis as pain relief for the last year, up until the last 2 days. If you need help obtaining medical edibles or creams, flower please let me know.

Can size? :huh:

I'm talking about his ass of course.

:D

Hey Pen? Quick question for us Men, Colon Cancer - Prostate Cancer etc.

Isn't normal protocol to get "checked" for those at age 50 right? But when they say family history to do so earlier.......... two questions.

1. What is considred family history? Is it mother father brother sister? Or does it go all the way to grand parents aunts and uncles?

2. If family history then what age for those tests?

Not hijacking this thread but its good for all us aging Geeks to think about. :thumbsup:

My father had prostate cancer. Typically prostate cancer is so damn slow growing that most men die of something else long before that. Honestly, if you were to do autopsies of all men who allegedly died of natural causes? Most of them would have some level of prostate cancer. It's just that heart disease and COPD and things like that catch up to you a lot faster.

However, if it's already metastasized, that ain't good.

On a related note, my brother can't say prostate. He always says postrate.

Sorry to hear man...havent dealt with prostrate...just brain cancer with my dad.

Just be there for him...be strong for everyone...and good to vent and talk to someone like your wife (I know mine was hugely important when dealing with my dads illness and later my Moms)