wiffleball

What meal most reminds you of home?

We call it hamburger pie.  It's not pie at all.  It's a casserole and pretty simple but delicious.  It's cooked ground beef mixed with tomato (sauce or paste, not sure which) and green beans from a can.  Mashed potatoes on top.  

My mom can't cook.   I always joke that the last time she made me dinner I still believed in Santa Claus.  But she used to make pepper steak in a pressure cooker with green peppers.  That was good.

3 minutes ago, fandandy said:

My mom can't cook.   I always joke that the last time she made me dinner I still believed in Santa Claus.  But she used to make pepper steak in a pressure cooker with green peppers.  That was good.

Cool at least she made something you dig.

Meat Loaf, Baked Beans & Baked Potatoes

Store brand spaghetti and Ragu and any type of bread toasted. Hot dog buns, wonder bread, rye. Lots of garlic salt and whole milk. The 1970’s were lean times. 

My mom was a terrible cook, so any strangely green, drastically over-cooked vegetable or greyish meat takes me back to the good ole days.  

Chicken parm.

mom was not a good cook, but could makes 3 things well. Chicken parmigiana was one of them.

On 4/9/2022 at 8:31 PM, fricker66 said:

My mom was a terrible cook, so any strangely green, drastically over-cooked vegetable or greyish meat takes me back to the good ole days.  

Years ago my mom visited and went food shopping with my wife.  Mom did not know you could buy spinach fresh; she thought it came only as a frozen cube.  Like, grown in the arctic tundra or something.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, Bier Meister said:

Chicken parm.

mom was not a good cook, but could makes 3 things well. Chicken parmigiana was one of them.

Funny that you both ended up good cooks.  I chose the "don't even try" path.  :cheers:

To answer the OP, the one thing my mom made which was good, and we still eat on occasion so it reminds me of home, is kielbasa.  She basically simmered it for hours so there wasn't much to it.  Historically we would have it on Easter so I would be anticipating it, but my wife just bought a prime tenderloin from Costco instead (yeah OK, I'll slum with that for dinner instead. :D ).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Funny that you both ended up good cooks.  I chose the "don't even try" path.  :cheers:

To answer the OP, the one thing my mom made which was good, and we still eat on occasion so it reminds me of home, is kielbasa.  She basically simmered it for hours so there wasn't much to it.  Historically we would have it on Easter so I would be anticipating it, but my wife just bought a prime tenderloin from Costco instead (yeah OK, I'll slum with that for dinner instead. :D ).

we did a lot of take out and i loved food.  i started playing with different ingredients when i was 10.  Her brother owns about 8 restaurants in new york, and that is where i actually learned how to prepare and assemble dishes.

porridge

My mom was a very good cook and cooked quite a wide variety of dishes.  One of the few things she made that I did not enjoy was her lasagna.  She put cottage cheese in it.  I like cottage cheese, just not in lasagna.  Ricotta. 

@MDC "s wife. 

A nice fatty hamburger patty with cheese and onion and a little natural mustard and mayo. Fabulous.

20 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

@MDC "s wife. 

A nice fatty hamburger patty with cheese and onion and a little natural mustard and mayo. Fabulous.

😍 

27 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

@MDC "s wife. 

Take it easy, Champ. Maybe sit the next few plays out 

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Take it easy, Champ. Maybe sit the next few plays out 

Ok, sport. Whatever you say taco breath. 

On 4/7/2022 at 12:57 AM, Gepetto said:

We call it hamburger pie.  It's not pie at all.  It's a casserole and pretty simple but delicious.  It's cooked ground beef mixed with tomato (sauce or paste, not sure which) and green beans from a can.  Mashed potatoes on top.  

You mind sharing the recipe? It sounds good and like meal my wife and I would enjoy :thumbsup: 

8 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Ok, sport. Whatever you say taco breath. 

How did you discover my alias?! :o 

9 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

You mind sharing the recipe? It sounds good and like meal my wife and I would enjoy :thumbsup: 

Sure.

1 pound of ground beef browned

Into that mix 1 can of Campbell's tomato soup

drain a can of green beans and mix them in

Put that in a casserole dish

Heat everything up in the microwave or on the stove until hot

Mix in butter and sour cream when making the mashed potatoes.

You can make the whole casserole ahead of time and heat it up later if you need to, it will still taste good.

It's easy my mom said.

17 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Sure.

1 pound of ground beef browned

Into that mix 1 can of Campbell's tomato soup

drain a can of green beans and mix them in

Put that in a casserole dish

Heat everything up in the microwave or on the stove until hot

Mix in butter and sour cream when making the mashed potatoes.

You can make the whole casserole ahead of time and heat it up later if you need to, it will still taste good.

It's easy my mom said.

Thanks man. It sounds good and easy so it’s perfect for my wife to make before she heads to work. Appreciate it :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Thanks man. It sounds good and easy so it’s perfect for my wife to make before she heads to work. Appreciate it :thumbsup: 

I should have mentioned the mashed potatoes go on top of the meat/tomato soup/green bean layer.  So the lower half is the meat/tomato soup/green beans and then about the same thickness of mashed potatoes on top.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I should have mentioned the mashed potatoes go on top of the meat/tomato soup/green bean layer.  So the lower half is the meat/tomato soup/green beans and then about the same thickness of mashed potatoes on top.  

Thanks man :thumbsup: we are gonna try it sometime this week. 

• Like 1

I have a couple of large cod fillets in freezer I want to cook up Friday night. I’m thinking a boil unless someone can can convince me otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, DuckStupid said:

I have a couple of large cod fillets in freezer I want to cook up Friday night. I’m thinking a boil unless someone can can convince me otherwise. 

tempura fish tacos

That would be good too. Actually sounds more up my avenue.  But I’m wanting to avoid breading, frying, and extra carbs. My parents will be here and mom tries to avoid that stuff.  

I worked at a restaurant...cod loins were cooked in the microwave with butter, water and saran wrap.  Was sooo damn good and perfect.