Sign in to follow this  
RaiderHaters Revenge

Major Attack on Vegas Strip, 58 dead, 500 wounded

Cherry picking? Compare US with ANY first world country. What "other, contributing, factors" are there?

We have the most liberal gun laws and highest gun violence rates. You don't see a connection?

His point is that "gun violence rate" is a red herring, because in places where it is harder to get guns, they commit violence with other weapons. So the real comparison is overall murder, rape, battery, etc. rates. If they are statistically significantly higher here, then there is a discussion to be had on the tradeoffs of gun ownership IMO. HTH.

• Like 1

Sounds like this guy was doing major gambling. Ten twenty thirty thousand in a day.

By the way, his dad was a bank robber before him.

Don't be daft man! We have the most liberal gun laws- AND - the highest rates of diabetes.

Clearly, there's a link...

Assume you are linking Type 2. What fat person doesn't love a gun?

His point is that "gun violence rate" is a red herring, because in places where it is harder to get guns, they commit violence with other weapons.

The Las Vegas victims wish the shooter had used other weapons too.

The Las Vegas victims wish the shooter had used other weapons too.

If the same number of people had been killed by a bomb or a truck, I can't imagine why they would care what method killed them. :dunno:

Man, focked up situation. Prayers for the families.

Carry on with the meaningless back and forth fellas.

• Like 1

When gun violence rates are consistent with every other first world country, then I'll agree with gun rights. A slight drop in those stats is meaningless.

Of course there are more murders with guns in a country that grants its citizens the right to own them, duh. Nothing is ground breaking about that. What you fail to realize is it wont drop murders rates and there will just become a new most deadly weapon. All so a bunch of people that dont give a fock about our lives can feel safer.

Also as Ive said before its a trade off. Ill trade a little safety for more freedoms. I dont want to live in a world where every single thing we do is regulated or controled in some form or fashion. Maybe you do.

Also there are certain groups and individuals that if they started behaving like they lived in a first world country would fix a lot of issues.

• Like 1

Ill trade a little safety for more freedoms.

With guns, you're trading A LOT of safety for a very minor freedom.

It's a bad deal.

When did he start coming over here anyway? He's worse than the sissy slap fighters we already have here.

I haven't talked to you at all, but you decided to respond in this manner, making you one of those that you call a 'sissy slap fighter'.

The problem is you. I'm not trying to insult anyone. I'm trying to engage in the debates in threads that interest me.

Got a problem with that?

It's a bad deal.

Do you understand the red herring point? If not it is worthless to continue the discussion.

It's a bad deal.

No you're not. I could literally post daily about how a person having a gun saved them. You focus on one incident like this but guns save people constantly.

I'd happily vote for a law that makes semi-automatic weapons illegal and any fully that are available with certain licenses. You can defend your self/home, hunt and get your rocks off with shotguns, rifles, revolvers, etc. That's where I draw my line between American Rights vs. Common sense regulation in a modern society.

With that said, you'll never stop a crazy / radical person from doing crazy and radical stuff. They'll always be "terrorism". :(

Think maybe the thread title can be updated?

Think maybe the thread title can be updated?

done, I stayed away from posting, as its not the time to get caught up in the politics, the anti guns, the anything, I had a dozen friends there, all are thank God ok, but all of them witnessed people dying in front of them

I care about nothing more than the people attacked

I'd happily vote for a law that makes semi-automatic weapons illegal and any fully that are available with certain licenses. You can defend your self/home, hunt and get your rocks off with shotguns, rifles, revolvers, etc. That's where I draw my line between American Rights vs. Common sense regulation in a modern society.

With that said, you'll never stop a crazy / radical person from doing crazy and radical stuff. They'll always be "terrorism". :(

Your last statement makes your first statement completely retarded

It's a bad deal.

It is a matter of perception. Alcohol kills a lot more people than guns. Cars kill more people that guns Etc. etc.

A minor freedom to you is a major freedom to me.

North Korea and China have gun control and it is very effective there, is that what you are looking for?

A small fraction of gun owners kill others.

Criminals will have guns no matter what the restrictions

Criminals will replace guns with bombs, cars, Acid, etc.

Cops are at least 10 minutes away from a 30 second crisis.

Anyone who trust only the authorities to protect them is a fool

Over half of gun deaths are suicides

Number of guns and gun owners in USA. Most estimates range between 39% and 50% of US households having at least one gun (that's about 43-55 million households). The estimates for the number of privately owned guns range from 190 million to 300 million.

Dont lose sight of the big picture when looking at gun control.

Do you understand the red herring point? If not it is worthless to continue the discussion.

Your red herring point being "without guns, people will just use other means to kill..."

Per Wiki - homicide rates:

US 4.88

Japan 0.31

Austria 0.51

Norway 0.56

Ireland 0.64

Spain 0.66

Switzerland 0.69

Poland 0.72

South Korea 0.74

Italy 0.78

Germany 0.85

Greece 0.85

New Zealand 0.91

UK 0.92

Australia 0.98

France 1.58

Canada 1.68

Shockingly, the stats do not support your theory.

How so? The point of my last statement was to infer that no matter how much gun control a society has, its not some magic bullet to stop mass violence. Just look at attacks with vans in the streets or homemade bombs like Boston Marathon. But we can try to the best of our ability, thru common sense regulations try to mitigate the damage.

We already have gun control in the U.S. Over time, as society has evolved and more and more weaponry has been manufactured our society tries to deem what is okay for public consumption and what should only be military type consumption. Things like grenades, fully automatic guns, etc.

I'm simply saying I'd add semi-auto guns to that side of the ledger (Military only). And keep most shotguns, rifles, handguns like revolvers, etc. legal for public consumption. It's where I'd draw the line.

Your red herring point being "without guns, people will just use other means to kill..."

US 4.88

Japan 0.31

Austria 0.51

Norway 0.56

Ireland 0.64

Spain 0.66

Switzerland 0.69

Poland 0.72

South Korea 0.74

Italy 0.78

Germany 0.85

Greece 0.85

New Zealand 0.91

UK 0.92

Australia 0.98

France 1.58

Canada 1.68

It is worth noting that 50%+ of crimes are committed by black individuals (males specifically) while making up only 13% of the population. And more often than not the firearm in possession is illegal. Just saying. I wonder what the homicide/crime rate in Japan or Norway if they had to deal with that broken community.

I'm simply saying I'd add semi-auto guns to that side of the ledger (Military only).

I'd be for that! Along with all other firearms.

Single-shot bolt action rifles only, for those who can pass a lengthy background check and afford the $5,000 license.

It is worth noting that 50%+ of crimes are committed by black individuals (males specifically) while making up only 13% of the population. And more often than not the firearm in possession is illegal. Just saying. I wonder what the homicide/crime rate in Japan or Norway if they had to deal with that broken community.

I'm sorta confused what your racist vitriol is doing in this thread. You post all kinds of racist sh1t so I'm not that surprised, but this shooter wasn't black so I guess I'm wondering what the fock you're doing bringing that into here? :dunno:

US 4.88

Japan 0.31

Austria 0.51

Norway 0.56

Ireland 0.64

Spain 0.66

Switzerland 0.69

Poland 0.72

South Korea 0.74

Italy 0.78

Germany 0.85

Greece 0.85

New Zealand 0.91

UK 0.92

Australia 0.98

France 1.58

Canada 1.68

Shockingly you do not post a link to where you got your data.

Shockingly you do not post a link to where you got your data.

Facebook

US 4.88

Japan 0.31

Austria 0.51

Norway 0.56

Ireland 0.64

Spain 0.66

Switzerland 0.69

Poland 0.72

South Korea 0.74

Italy 0.78

Germany 0.85

Greece 0.85

New Zealand 0.91

UK 0.92

Australia 0.98

France 1.58

Canada 1.68

you can read this whole article if you like, but the thing I would like you to focus on is homicide rates in the neat little graph they posted at the bottom

you will see the homicide rate has remained the same as it always has been prior to the gun ban

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

re:Austrailia

re: Austrailia, UK, Ireland

United Kingdom: The UK enacted its handgun ban in 1996. From 1990 until the ban was enacted, the homicide rate fluctuated between 10.9 and 13 homicides per million. After the ban was enacted, homicides trended up until they reached a peak of 18.0 in 2003. Since 2003, which incidentally was about the time the British government flooded the country with 20,000 more cops, the homicide rate has fallen to 11.1 in 2010. In other words, the 15-year experiment in a handgun ban has achieved absolutely nothing.

Ireland: Ireland banned firearms in 1972. Irelands homicide rate was fairly static going all the way back to 1945. In that period, it fluctuated between 0.1 and 0.6 per 100,000 people. Immediately after the ban, the murder rate shot up to 1.6 per 100,000 people in 1975. It then dropped back down to 0.4. It has trended up, reaching 1.4 in 2007.

Australia: Australia enacted its gun ban in 1996. Murders have basically run flat, seeing only a small spike after the ban and then returning almost immediately to preban numbers. It is currently trending down, but is within the fluctuations exhibited in other nations.

Plain and simple. Gun control has no significant impact on murder rates. Removing firearms does not typically create massive lawlessness. It is a moot point. These figures arent a secret. Why would the governments of these nations want a disarmed populace? For the answer, it is best to look at a nation that has had long-time gun bans that is currently relaxing their laws. Russia recently relaxed its firearms laws. For the first time in recent memory, a Russian citizen can carry a firearm. The prohibited items speak volumes about what a governments motive behind disarming the population is. Russia has allowed smoothbore long barrelled guns, pistols, revolvers, and other firearms, as well as Tasers, and devices equipped with teargas. Thats almost everything, what is still banned? Rifles. So the Russian government has made it clear that the real objective is to remove rifles from civilian hands. The reasoning is pretty clear: you need rifles to overthrow a government.

I don't want this thread to be about gun control but you need some straightening out on facts

US 4.88

Japan 0.31

Austria 0.51

Norway 0.56

Ireland 0.64

Spain 0.66

Switzerland 0.69

Poland 0.72

South Korea 0.74

Italy 0.78

Germany 0.85

Greece 0.85

New Zealand 0.91

UK 0.92

Australia 0.98

France 1.58

Canada 1.68

It's ok. I think I found it. From your own link (I think):

--------------------------------------------

This chart does not use the very latest data due to differences in how intentional homicide is defined, collected, and calculated for each country. In order to have more consistent, continuous, and reliable oversight only the latest UNODC sourcing is used for this section on countries.[1]

When using the figures, any cross-national comparison should be conducted with caution because of the differences that exist between the legal definitions of offences in countries, the different methods of offence counting and recording and differences in the share of criminal offences that are not reported to or detected by law enforcement authorities (i.e. the dark figure).[1]

--------------------------------------------

They make very clear you shouldn't use this to compare countries, which is EXACTLY what you're doing. No wonder you chose not to post the link.

• Like 1

I'm sorta confused what your racist vitriol is doing in this thread. You post all kinds of racist sh1t so I'm not that surprised, but this shooter wasn't black so I guess I'm wondering what the fock you're doing bringing that into here? :dunno:

It isn't racist, its true. It should be addressed so that it can be fixed.

Gobble and I's conversation shifted away from the LV event clearly.

Thanks for chiming in though.

US 4.88

Japan 0.31

Austria 0.51

Norway 0.56

Ireland 0.64

Spain 0.66

Switzerland 0.69

Poland 0.72

South Korea 0.74

Italy 0.78

Germany 0.85

Greece 0.85

New Zealand 0.91

UK 0.92

Australia 0.98

France 1.58

Canada 1.68

That's fine, but you should also show how many murders are prevented by guns. Not saying it is some earth shattering number, but you would have to deduct them from the amount killed. Just sayin.

JFR: when someone posts something like "50% of murders are committed by blacks, yet they are only 13% of the population", it isn't a 'racist' comment. It it a comment that considers race.

Learn the difference, and join civilized conversation.

Questions should always be asked of this sort of stuff. I'll add to #5, which I noticed about an hour ago, as reported on both CNN and MSNBC:

When it was reported that "ISIS has taken responsibility for this shooting", the anchors of both networks also included a seemingly illogical response from the FBI, which said - nearly verbatim on both networks - that "the FBI denies ISIS involvement. The FBI will be searching the assailant's computers for evidence of associations".

Oh? Then why deny before investigating?

That was odd and illogical. Unless one is cynically thinking that the FBI already knows how and why this happened.

Why? Some problems don't have perfect answers. We can still work the problem.

That's fine, but you should also show how many murders are prevented by guns. Not saying it is some earth shattering number, but you would have to deduct them from the amount killed. Just sayin.

Not just murders, how many rapes, muggings, robberies, burglaries....?

Estimates vary but they range from the 100's of thousands to 2+ million annual instances of defensive gun use in America.

The blacks who make up more than 50% of those homicides are around 3% of the population. And most of those are black on black murders. So yeah if you remove one race from our stats that number drastically reduces. It's also the same for education except we rise to top 5.

But as youve already seen pointing out these 100% true facts makes you a racist.

• Like 1

Not just murders, how many rapes, muggings, robberies, burglaries....?

Estimates vary but they range from the 100's of thousands to 2+ million annual instances of defensive gun use in America.

The guy who shot up a church just a little over a week ago was stopped by a citizen with a gun.