Sign in to follow this  
Vince44

Why did you lose interest in the NBA?

The Geek Club once had 20 page threads for the Heat vs Pistons East Finals in 05-06 and Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals in 08 and 10. You could say the same for Warriors vs Cavs in 15-18 in there was not as much but still a lot of discussion. There has been next to no posts about the NBA Playoffs or Finals since 20. What is the number one issue you no longer care about the game? 

I'm a Sixers fan and could care less about the rest of the NBA. I do watch the playoffs and finals but the regular season is boring to me. I feel like it's too many games, much like baseball. 

Used to be every possession mattered, at least in the playoffs. Now it’s just jack up a 3, run down to the other end and jack up a three, and over and over and over again. The stakes seem low and whichever team is shooting better that night wins by 20 or more.

Now I’m actually willing to accept that this could be because players are simply better these days. Patrick Ewing wasn’t jacking up a 3. Charles Oakley wasn’t shooting no treys. Even later on, KG wasn’t a sharpshooter, obviously Shaq wasn’t a threat from downtown, Chris Bosh wasn’t doing that until late in his career… but now every guy can do it, and since the metrics say that’s all you should do, that’s all they do, and it’s boring and doesn’t feel very competitive even if the players are super duper highly skilled.

• Like 1

My Orlando Magic is the prefect example of what's wrong with the NBA.

Lucky enough to get the no. 1 pick the year a generational player like Shaq entered. Eventually leads us to a title game and then... "I don't wanna play here."  So the Magic sucked for years until they luckily got the no. 1 pick again, which happened to be the year Dwight Howard entered. Eventually leads us to a title game and... "I don't wanna play here."  We've sucked ever since. 

In most sports (NFL) one superstar player doesn't guarantee squat. But in the NBA one superstar changes everything. Just have to hope your team is one of the few places they want to play... otherwise, you'll have to get extremely lucky and draft one, and then hope to win a title before they leave.  It's FAN-tatastic.

• Like 1

Lack of defense

Fundamentals (carrying the ball, traveling, guys that cant shoot...)

Paul Pierce getting carted off in a wheelchair

Mostly because the pistons have been bad.  Admittedly, i am a fairweather basketball fan.

• Thanks 1

Fishing and camping, and my 1963 Buick.  NBA become boring.  

My fandom started to wane about 4 or 5 years ago. Clear out Isolation basketball sucks to watch; I much prefer team ball in college now. We used to follow college basketball, get to know players then watch them go pro. Now the whole first round of the draft are players you’ve more than likely never seen play a game.  Also, the players are such prima-donnas.  They sit out games because something is “sore” or “load management”.  Then the whole BLM nonsense.  Ugh.  

I still passively follow The Hornets, and watch some of the playoffs but that’s about it.  

Had zero interest until the Timberwolves were born in 1989. My interest waned shortly thereafter when I saw they were going to be another Vikings/North Stars.

These 3 have combined for 121 seasons without a title. 

1 hour ago, Vince44 said:

The Geek Club once had 20 page threads for the Heat vs Pistons East Finals in 05-06 and Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals in 08 and 10. You could say the same for Warriors vs Cavs in 15-18 in there was not as much but still a lot of discussion. There has been next to no posts about the NBA Playoffs or Finals since 20. What is the number one issue you no longer care about the game? 

Mike D'Antoni's Seven Seconds Or Less was legitimately fun basketball for fans. It was the last time that the NBA had a consistent system that was widely entertaining. 

IMHO, if you sign within 80 percent of a max contract in any form ( Super Max, street max, Early Bird max, etc, etc) , you should have an automatic no trade clause until the last year of your contract. You cannot demand a trade as a player. The team cannot trade you. If you refuse to play as a player or fake injury, then you are subjected to the league medical review panel ( instituted in the Chris Bosh Rule) and if they deem you can play, then you are fined a million dollars a game until you do play. If someone claims a mental health exemption and refuses to play, their salary is docked to push their salary to the veteran's league minimum, with all the excess going to a charity supporting youth mental health in the country. 

There needs to be an end to a player signing a Super Max for a non Lakers team, then demanding a trade a week later to the Lakers or a large market team as such. 

Also there needs to be widespread use of non guaranteed contracts. No one should be saddled by someone like Davis Bertans like this forever. Do it like the NFL. Signing bonus that spreads out over the life of the contract as guaranteed money, but the rest is NOT guaranteed. Make it easier to cut players and adjust rosters. Many trades happen to just dump bad contracts. 

Also there should be a "compensation" system in place. You sign a Tier 1 free agent like the Lakers signing LBJ or Shaq or the Warriors signing Durant, then you lose X amount of picks in the future to the team that lost them. It's not perfect, but there needs to be a mechanism to reward teams who draft and develop guys who leave to go elsewhere. 

There needs to be structural mechanisms to create real parity. Right now, it's just a bunch of new rules to punish the Warriors for being too successful. The new tax "apron" was really designed to force the Warriors to break up their team even more. 

Bird, Majic, and MJ retired whilst Stern let their accomplishments go to waste. I stopped caring after. And haven’t looked back.

I still watch, and post here about it, but there's no one to talk to about it.

Not sure exactly when.  I followed quite  a bit growing up in the 90s/early 2000s.  Today I don't watch any.  A chance I run into a playoff game and watch for 5 minutes.   Regular season, none.  

-regular season they go through the motions.   Now star players sit every other game 

-super teams. 

-too much player movement.  

-not a fan of the chuck 3s game.  Outside of 3s it has turned into guys (morant) just jumping high and ramming into people and hoping for a call.  

-everyone is buddy buddy.  Rivals seem few and far between.  

-I could be wrong but the game seems wishy washy.  20 pt leads are routinely given up.  Regular season games just seem like pick up games where nothing is really at stake. 

Defense is lacking.

Not familiar with the majority of players.

The rivalries are not the same as they use to be.

Officiating is the worst I've seen in any sport.

Too much flopping.  Almost as bad as soccer.

It's just not interesting anymore.

I stop watching when every game was a political message. So I stopped supporting the NBA, MLB, NFL etc... I don't watch on TV and you would have to pay me to go to a game. I couldn't name one player on any Detroit franchise.

3 point shot is #1

One and done is part of it. Kids being drafted way before they are ready. 

Traveling/refs are awful

Defense is putrid

Flopping needs to be called as a foul.

All star game used to matter

I’m still a fan - it’s probably my #2 sport after NFL and the only one except football where I watch games that don’t involve my team.

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m still a fan - it’s probably my #2 sport after NFL and the only one except football where I watch games that don’t involve my team.

That is a good way to judge how much of a fan you are a sport.

NFL - I will watch any game, anytime. 
MLB - Red Sox (on DVR) I will watch the Fox weekend games, some Sunday night ESPN games and most playoff games
NHL - Bruins - Watch only playoffs games of other teams
NBA - barely watch the Celtics and nothing else,. not even playoffs. 

Just now, edjr said:

That is a good way to judge how much of a fan you are a sport.

NFL - I will watch any game, anytime. 
MLB - Red Sox (on DVR) I will watch the weekend games on the weekend, some Sunday night games and most playoff games
NHL - Bruins - Watch only playoffs games of other teams
NBA - barely watch the Celtics and nothing else,. not even playoffs. 

NFL - watch every Eagles game, a lot of non-Eagles playoffs and at least check in on M/S/TNF.

NBA - watch all or part of maybe 40-50 Sixer games, loosely follow non Sixer playoffs and watch some of the Finals.

MLB - I can’t remember the last time I watched any non Phillies game and only watch part of maybe 30-40 of them.

NHL - might as well not exist.

i became pretty pissed with the NBA in the 90s due to the strikes and lock outs.  I would follow box scores for the warrior, but stopped going to games, buying merchandise... started watching a little when Nelson returned around 05 or 06?

I just recently starting watching now that I've accumulated enough in draft kings to make bets. Its not bad when you could care less who wins as long as your guys are getting you into the $

Some of the reasoning in the thread is pretty silly, but I get it. The problem isn’t that they don’t play defense because they do. The issue is it’s really hard to guard spacing, pick and rolls and just guys are elite shooters now. It’s just not very easy to do. 

The league is too ghetto? Give me the next American player that’s going to win an MVP in the next 10 years? Good luck. In fact I would say in 10 years Americans may not have the majority of all star players.

It’s really simple for me. It’s the lack of rivalries. All of these guys work out together, same agents etc. The only reason Memphis was mildly interesting, is because Brooks would run his mouth about other teams. They have to figure out a way to get rivalries back in the game. 

I still watch but, the current crop of players don't care, at all, about the regular season. So, why should we? :dunno:

The game isn't like it use to be...  The team aspect doesn't seem as important as it was in the 80s/90s...

• Like 1

Can we all admit, we all used to love and watch the NBA at some point?

Was a big Phoenix Suns fan (when Tom Chambers got traded there, 1988 or so), stuck with them until Sarver traded Shawn Marion for Shaq.  I love college basketball (UConn fan), and would always check in on basketballreference.com from time to time to see how alums were doing in the NBA.  The more I'd read up on the game (or listen to others who watch), the less interested I became and never went back.  I still check in from time to time to see the stats of how UConn guys are doing, but I don't watch.  I can honestly say that I haven't watched an NBA game from start to finishing in 10 to 15 years.

18 hours ago, Reality said:

Crazy thing is, the league is killing it revenue wise. 

sometimes, a company can put out a great product and see its sales surge.  then some hotshot young executive gets in there and wants to make a name for themself, so they start cutting every corner imaginable to boost profits.  customer support is axed.  the shipping contract gets changed to the lowest bidder that is unreliable.  the product is reformulated with inferior materials.  the vast majority of customers wont notice for years because they have unrefined tastes, suffer from blind loyalty, or are too lazy to change.  meanwhile, the young executive becomes a superstar, gets a promotion out of the doomed company for his "great work", and leaves it in the lurch.  then a tipping point comes where the masses suddenly realizes the product sucks now, and they bail en masse.  the poor sap who took over as exec gets all the blame and the company is in roons.